Uncommanded rudder deflection on ground and in flight

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Uncommanded rudder deflection on ground and in flight

Post by Oracle427 »

I found that the Bonanza yaws like this whether it is a V tail or conventional tail. The V tail isn't any worse in this respect. You get used to it after a while I guess.

This trait is not unique to the Bonanza. Many high performance aircraft reduce the tail surface area to reduce drag and this does result in reduced yaw stability. This is also why a lot of those same aircraft offer yaw dampeners.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

craftsman
Senior Airman

Post by craftsman »

I just took the Alabeo M20R for a flight and noticed VERY little rudder response also. I began to think maybe my CH pedals need replacement. Looking from the outside at the mooney its elevator is relatively small "short" and the rudder surface is very small. Plus it being such a long extended fuselage, High performance, little parasite drag?? See what you mean. Yea the first thing when I noticed the Bonanza's touchy elevator control I started looking for the yaw button. I sure thought it would NOT have one, and of course not to be found.

craftsman
Senior Airman

Post by craftsman »

I need to clarify something I said " I just reread the post ". When I said " a detterent to buying this aircraft, I meant in real life. Is this a great consideration? Would a passenger be more apt to motion sickness if the airplane were to have a methodical back and forth sway????

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

In the short bodied Bonanzas several owners I know have said that they keep the pax that are prone to motion sickness up front if conditions aren't very smooth aloft, and even then they keep a sick sack handy.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”