P3D run as admin?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
tbaac
Technical Sergeant

P3D run as admin?

Post by tbaac »

Hi. What's A2A's policy on how to run P3D v4? Is it recommended to run it as administrator? Been away from P3D for a couple of years so wanted to check what the recommendation from A2A is now? Thanks very much. Specifically, if I install P3D to a folder other than c:\Program Files, and I then run it as a normal user without admin rights, will it cause any issues for the Bonanza?

Thanks.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: P3D run as admin?

Post by speedy70 »

Yes ,it is always a good idea to run as administrator.

Cheers Chris

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Thanks for that Chris.

I didn't find a suitable answer using the forum search hence my initial question today.

But searching google just now I found I asked the same question here 3 years ago :oops:

At the time Lewis responded that he runs his as an admin.

There were a few more replies and it seems like you can run as a regular user if you don't mind doing a few fiddly bits.

I'll probably give it a go come payday. Personal choice but I prefer running as a normal user day to day and the only flight sim that I run as administrator now is FSX.

Thanks.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=44593
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

I don't see any reason why our aircraft wouldn't work without admin rights, but I admit I run my P3D as admin because there are other addons out there that require it.
Michael Krawczyk

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Thanks for that Michael.

Out of interest, does anyone know any other addons that do require admin access when running?
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

I couldn't wait until payday. :shock:
Installing P3Dv4 and A2A's Bonanza and running as a normal user went very smoothly, thank you for making it so easy A2A.

I found that a popular scenery developer puts their installer into c:\users\<admin user>\AppData\Local\ and there doesn't seem any other way to update their scenery than to do it logged in as the admin user (I tried just running the installer as admin but it wouldn't download)

I also had a bit of trouble with TrackIR and found myself wondering if it was due to not running it as admin.

All worked out okay though and thanks for making your bit easy, A2A team.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Having said that, the A2A Input Configurator saves to the admin users Documents folder I think.
Documents\A2A\P3D\Bonanza35\axisConfig.cfg

I tried assigning axes to cowl flaps and defroster earlier and it had no effect.
I think I'd need to copy that folder manually to my regular user.

As the rest of the Bonanza installation works so well with a regular user, could you look at getting the Input Configurator to not require admin rights please (and to save to my Documents folder rather than that of the admin user).

Thanks very much for your help and the Bonanza.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”