Taxiing

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Taxiing

Post by Alfredson007 »

I must be honest here, i am not very pleased how the Bonanza behaves on the ground... first of all for me it jolts violently to right always (no other a2a plane does this), but it feels there's no inertia at all. The power management is unintuitive, and when i steer the plane it turns like it has no mass. Just compared it to Comanche and it feels work of art in this sense. This feels more like stock FSX :\

I love how the plane feels in the air and on take off roll though, especially the rotation feels wonderful!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Taxiing

Post by Scott - A2A »

Alfred,

This is a challenge for us because of the way the taxiing works. The Bo has a tighter turning radius than the Comanche, and this also in the sim affects how rapidly it turns. Try this little change and let me know what you think using your rudder pedals:

Open your AIRCRAFT.CFG

Look for:
[contact_points]

Change this:
point.0 = 1, 6.3, 0.0, -4.3, 2500, 0, 0.75, 33.0, 0.40, 1.8, 0.7, 5.0, 5.0, 0, 0, 150

To this:
point.0 = 1, 6.3, 0.0, -4.3, 2500, 0, 0.75, 25.0, 0.40, 1.8, 0.7, 5.0, 5.0, 0, 0, 150

Notice the only change is from 33.0 to 25.0. The lower you go, the wider the turning radius and slower the turn. We could always do some custom coding here if necessary, but I don't like to do that unless it's really needed.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Hi Scott, thanks for reply.

I tried it immediately i saw your post.

I find the modification much better. But still not as good as the Comanche, but i understand that these planes are diffent IRL too. But i also kind of like your Cherokee on the ground, eventhough it is very keen to turn, but it feels more natural than the stock Bonanza imo.

I still don't understand the suddent right jolt when the Bo is barely moving tho. It might be some sort of over-reaction to minor wind gust / turbulence or something.

Snorre
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Snorre »

This right bolt is surprising to me, I never encountered it, neither in P3D nor in FSX. Applying power gets the a/c to start moving slowly and without any sudden movement. Did you try taxiing without any Wx addon? Do you use rudder pedals?
Gunter

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Snorre wrote:This right bolt is surprising to me, I never encountered it, neither in P3D nor in FSX. Applying power gets the a/c to start moving slowly and without any sudden movement. Did you try taxiing without any Wx addon? Do you use rudder pedals?
I have no weather addons installed, i have very very light weather on default, 2G3 light turbulence. My other a2a planes react to really turbulent weather when taxiing, but nothing like this... but i think it is weather related, because if i fly in fsx's default clear skies weather without any turbulence / wind this does not happen.

But even slightest wind (2 knots) and light turbulence and it happens. And it is a BIG sudden sharp turn to right at initial taxi.

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

I actually captured a short video

https://youtu.be/dpEhyWyKW6U

So the weather on default weather engine is 2 gusting 3 and light turbulence.

After releasing the brake, i do not touch the rudder pedals, at all. First you notice small turn to right, then more violent etc. This is what it does for me. And no other A2A plane. And pretty sure won't happen if the weather is 0 wind 0 turbulence. I think this is "little" exxagerated effect for 2 knot wind with light turbulence if that is causing it....

Sometimes it pulls harder sometimes not so much etc...

avduarri
Senior Airman

Post by avduarri »

Just to try, before starting to move, press both toe brakes release it, and then apply some throttle to start moving.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I think there is something else going on here. If you're not touching the pedals it shouldn't turn. Do you have any sort of ground friction modification running or any other environment addons?

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Thanks for posting the video. My eyes may be deceiving me, but it looks like your rudder pedals are being "tickled" very slightly, probably by noisy pots in your rudder pedals. Please try increasing the null zone for your rudder axis (try something high-ish first to be absolutely sure your pedals aren't interfering, then you can dial it back down.)

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

Molly - A2A wrote:Thanks for posting the video. My eyes may be deceiving me, but it looks like your rudder pedals are being "tickled" very slightly, probably by noisy pots in your rudder pedals. Please try increasing the null zone for your rudder axis (try something high-ish first to be absolutely sure your pedals aren't interfering, then you can dial it back down.)
I increased the nullzone to about 1/3rd but the plane behaves exactly the same.

I did some more research. With 0-1kn wind nothing seems to happen, but 2 knots and light turbulence and it will happen. ALWAYS to the right, never to the left, but if i rotate the plane 180, it won't do it. It seems if the wind blows from certain angle, rear left for example, it makes the aircraft behave funny or something. Plenty of flying with Cherokee today in similar conditions and no such behavior. Not a controller issue for sure.

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

I'll put one more video here of my Possessed Bo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34VhTBFeqDs&

Note especially at 00:20s mark how violently the plane wants to go right, even when i have full left rudder applied, that's pretty nasty :D

This time i had 7knot 9 knot gust wind.

But in takeoff/landing rolls once the speed is abit more up nothing like this happens.

I recap my system. Quite stock FSX:SE, no weather addons, i only have finlandx scenery, lumberjack addon that takes some trees off near rwy thresholds, no fsuipc or anything like that... All my a2a planes have some sort of reaction if i taxi them in windy/turbulent weather but nothing like this.

And this was with the latest Bo update. (or without it, no difference)

bkmetz2x205
Airman

Post by bkmetz2x205 »

I did not see the brake banner on your video. Is there any chance your right brake is spiking to full application.

Maybe turn on the brake banner. This will help you to see if this is the problem.

-B

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”