Bonanza huge draw on frames? (IN FSX STEAM ONLY)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
joespeed52
Senior Airman

Bonanza huge draw on frames? (IN FSX STEAM ONLY)

Post by joespeed52 »

I seem to have a large drop in frames versus the Comanche when flying in similar conditions. It only seems to be inside the cockpit, where I get anywhere from 5-12 FPS, whereas outside the aircraft in spot mode, I get my standard 30-35.
Last edited by joespeed52 on 16 Sep 2018, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Comanche, 172, 182, PA-28, Civ/Mil Mustang, T-6, COTS L049, P-40, Spitfire, V35, and Mighty B-17.
2000+ Hours FSX:SE

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Bonanza huge draw on frames?

Post by Scott - A2A »

Joe,

Try turning off the battery and alternator in flight and see if you see a difference. If so, check the overhead directional lights, that they are not on.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

Scott - A2A wrote:Joe,

Try turning off the battery and alternator in flight and see if you see a difference. If so, check the overhead directional lights, that they are not on.

Scott.
I'll try the battery trick, but as for directional lights, I use FSX:Steam, so I don't have the special swivel lights. Just a dome light, and two vents.
Comanche, 172, 182, PA-28, Civ/Mil Mustang, T-6, COTS L049, P-40, Spitfire, V35, and Mighty B-17.

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

joespeed52 wrote:
Scott - A2A wrote:Joe,

Scott.
I'll try the battery trick, but as for directional lights, I use FSX:Steam, so I don't have the special swivel lights. Just a dome light, and two vents.
Tried exactly that, and shot to 30fps. Turned the Bat/Alt back on, and in about 10 seconds, gradually went back down to 8-12. I think it might be from looking at all of those pretty processor intensive gauges, right? Outside the airplane is constant at 30FPS.

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Same issue here, will try the suggested trick next flight.
Ros

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

rosariomanzo wrote:Same issue here, will try the suggested trick next flight.
Let me know if you see any difference, and what sim you are running. I hope this is just a temporary glitch, and can be fixed with the next update.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Can you please let us know which platform you are using and your system specs please

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

Lewis here are my specs:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 SSC 6GB GDDR5
Windows 7 Professional
FSX Steam Latest build
Accusim core update latest build
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.2 GHz (64-Bit)
Accusim Bonanza latest version (going to try a reinstall.)
24GB RAM

Anything else you need to verify?

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

joespeed52 wrote:Lewis here are my specs:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 SSC 6GB GDDR5
Windows 7 Professional
FSX Steam Latest build
Accusim core update latest build
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.2 GHz (64-Bit)
Accusim Bonanza latest version (going to try a reinstall.)
24GB RAM

Anything else you need to verify?
Your specs look good. Are you running any settings to alter your anti-aliasing and such through an external tool like Nvidia Inspector?

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

I never could find where or how to download Nvidia inspector, but I use the default Nvidia Control Panel built into the desktop.

Edit: I'm resetting the graphics settings to default, any more suggestions?

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

joespeed52 wrote:I never could find where or how to download Nvidia inspector, but I use the default Nvidia Control Panel built into the desktop.

The Bonanza does have a few new features that may account for a difference from previous aircraft like the Comanche. One thing I can suggest is to turn your framerate slider in FSX to "unlimited." It can help eek out a few extra FPS in demanding aircraft. Unfortunately, the older AMD CPUs can have a bit of trouble keeping up with the demands of very complex aircraft models, with dozens of "click spots" and code running in the background.

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

molleh wrote:
joespeed52 wrote:I never could find where or how to download Nvidia inspector, but I use the default Nvidia Control Panel built into the desktop.

The Bonanza does have a few new features that may account for a difference from previous aircraft like the Comanche. One thing I can suggest is to turn your framerate slider in FSX to "unlimited." It can help eek out a few extra FPS in demanding aircraft. Unfortunately, the older AMD CPUs can have a bit of trouble keeping up with the demands of very complex aircraft models, with dozens of "click spots" and code running in the background.
Thanks, I'll try that, and get back to flying.
Cheers.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

In my limited experience with P3D, I do not recommend many (if any at all) tweaks, except perhaps the CPU Affinity Mask (which completely removed my stutters). Eventually, they'll come back to bite you in some way or another. With the exception of above, I've removed all previous tweaks and otherwise have a fairly vanilla .cfg file, and that's where the simulator seems to work best.

That being said, inside P3D itself there are some simple options that can improve framerates.
1) The first, already mentioned, is set the framerate limiter to unlimited. This "may" cause blurries on texture loading, especially with much faster aircraft, but I've found it to be an excellent balance of improved frames.
2) Turn VSync inside the simulator off, and let your video card handle this. Some people have noted better framerates because of this.
3) Turn FXAA off, and let your video card handle this.
4) Turn off Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation, especially if you're flying in addon scenery.
5) Set Dynamic Reflections to a lower setting (very high settings are a framerate KILLER)
6) Reduce road, boat, GA and airline traffic. I found this makes a huge impact on performance. I've actually removed all road traffic because of this (and picked up quite a few frames).

Those above are what I've found to be the biggest culprits of framerate loss. I'm currently only working with a GTX 770 Overclocked, but will soon move up to a much nicer card if and when my employer builds my new editing machine. I look forward to seeing what my new machine will do, but in the meantime I have to work with this older and slower card. Only in the absolute worst conditions do I see frames drop below 30 (and no lower than about 22 or so).
ImageImage
ImageImage

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

CodyValkyrie wrote:In my limited experience with P3D, I do not recommend many (if any at all) tweaks, except perhaps the CPU Affinity Mask (which completely removed my stutters). Eventually, they'll come back to bite you in some way or another. With the exception of above, I've removed all previous tweaks and otherwise have a fairly vanilla .cfg file, and that's where the simulator seems to work best.

That being said, inside P3D itself there are some simple options that can improve framerates.
1) The first, already mentioned, is set the framerate limiter to unlimited. This "may" cause blurries on texture loading, especially with much faster aircraft, but I've found it to be an excellent balance of improved frames.
2) Turn VSync inside the simulator off, and let your video card handle this. Some people have noted better framerates because of this.
3) Turn FXAA off, and let your video card handle this.
4) Turn off Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation, especially if you're flying in addon scenery.
5) Set Dynamic Reflections to a lower setting (very high settings are a framerate KILLER)
6) Reduce road, boat, GA and airline traffic. I found this makes a huge impact on performance. I've actually removed all road traffic because of this (and picked up quite a few frames).
Can this be used/translated for FSX also?

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

To a certain degree, yes, but also no.

Tweaks in FSX, and it's associated .cfg file have a lot more mileage, and I'd recommend checking out some of the guides that exist for that such as those on AVSIM. Unlimited framerates does generally apply to FSX, as well as traffic. The biggest problem with FSX is that it's much more CPU bound, while P3D offloads quite a bit more onto the GPU. The affinity mask tweaks may help as well (again, check AVSIM or another reputable source about how best to make this work).

My FSX (when I had it) was highly modified, because I was filming in it and needed every frame I could muster.

One of the biggest changes I saw was when I converted FSX over to DX10 using Steve's DX10 Fixer utility (https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com). This smoothed a lot of problems out and offloaded a bit more onto the GPU, and helped stabilize and increase framerates while upping some of the other aspects such as autogen, etc.
ImageImage
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Bonanza Tech Support”