Some before purchase questions

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
JanF
Airman First Class

Some before purchase questions

Post by JanF »

First I can tell that I intend to get the new P3D V5 since my old P3D V2 does benefit from my new 2070 Super video card. There are three planes which I consider buying but not all of them (Bonanza Comanche T-6 Texan).
Regarding the Bonanza I see in the listed features one thing that is not listed for the other two and that is
'New analog gauge physics delivers a living cockpit unlike ever before'
Can you elaborate what this is and why the other two don't have it ?
Also I see that the Bonanza is for P3D V 4-5 only while the other two is for V 2-5. Does this mean that the Bonanza is a better product than the other two because of this ?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Some before purchase questions

Post by Jacques »

New analog gauge physics probably refers to the indicators ( needles) in some gauges becoming “sticky” just like real analog gauges sometimes do. When you mouse over one of these gauges a little icon appears that allows you to action the mouse and “flick” the gauge lens - there is a slight sound of tapping glass and the needle reads correctly again. The Bonanza is a later development than the Comanche or the T-6 and so has features that are difficult to roll back to these earlier models. They are all capable and rewarding fliers in their own right. So whatever you choose, you won’t go wrong.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Jan,

At the time of writing, the Bonanza is the newest aircraft in the Accu-Sim lineup and as such it has a few features not found on earlier aircraft.

As Jacques says, the new gauge physics in the Bo can sometimes make the needles slightly prone to misreading or 'sticking' whereupon they'll need a little tap. The Bonanza also has higher resolution interior cockpit textures than its predecessors and more advanced internal dynamic lighting than other aircraft in the fleet. It also has the widest selection of third-party GPS options. Because the Bo was developed well after the release of P3Dv4, we decided it probably wasn't worth supporting earlier versions of the platform and indeed very few simmers seem to have stuck with P3Dv3 or earlier.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

JanF
Airman First Class

Post by JanF »

Nick - A2A wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 15:18 Hello Jan,

At the time of writing, the Bonanza is the newest aircraft in the Accu-Sim lineup and as such it has a few features not found on earlier aircraft.

As Jacques says, the new gauge physics in the Bo can sometimes make the needles slightly prone to misreading or 'sticking' whereupon they'll need a little tap. The Bonanza also has higher resolution interior cockpit textures than its predecessors and more advanced internal dynamic lighting than other aircraft in the fleet. It also has the widest selection of third-party GPS options. Because the Bo was developed well after the release of P3Dv4, we decided it probably wasn't worth supporting earlier versions of the platform and indeed very few simmers seem to have stuck with P3Dv3 or earlier.

Thanks,
Nick
How can the needle stick ?
Regarding misreading I wonder if in real life and in A2A planes it is like this.
When you track a VOR or ILS and make some change in the planes attitude it must result in a force on the needles. Thus will this force move the needles so they display incorrect values ?
Also is it problem that radio disturbances can cause incorrect readings ?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

It depends on the gauge in question. Some are very prone to binding up a little IRL though I've never seen one bind up so badly that it stops working or displays a constant error until tapped on. I've had gauges fail outright or go out of calibration, but never in a way that tapping on them would fix the issue.

Altimeters, VSIs are the ones I usually see bind up a little. Sometimes I see it when rotating the adjusting knob and the needle initially jumps to a new position before moving freely. This is sort of modeled.

IRL have never seen acceleration forces affect gauge readings aside from fuel levels due to sloshing around in the tanks or gyroscopic precession or whiskey compass errors. I do not know if this is modeled.

IRL Radio interference is very real thing when using radio based navigation aids such as VOR or ILS. Depending on RPM a metal prop can also resonate with the radio waves and induce larger errors and it can very annoying as the needles proceed to rhythmically swing left and right. I do not believe this is modeled by the flight simulator engine.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Oracle427 wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 08:27 Altimeters, VSIs are the ones I usually see bind up a little. Sometimes I see it when rotating the adjusting knob and the needle initially jumps to a new position before moving freely. This is sort of modeled.
Non-servoed pressure altimeters used in turbine aircraft usually have internal vibrators to keep the needle from sticking. These make this very distinctive quick ticking sound that is heard in the cockpit of an older airliner for example, when the batteries are on. This characteristic sound is not present in modern cockpits anymore, as even the backups are nowadays electronic instruments.

In the gliders, I used to kick the instrument panel every time when positioning for downwind. :mrgreen:
Oracle427 wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 08:27 IRL have never seen acceleration forces affect gauge readings [...]
Yes, the needles should be pretty well balanced.
Oracle427 wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 08:27 IRL Radio interference is very real thing when using radio based navigation aids such as VOR or ILS. Depending on RPM a metal prop can also resonate with the radio waves and induce larger errors and it can very annoying as the needles proceed to rhythmically swing left and right. I do not believe this is modeled by the flight simulator engine.
This is very often a problem with the ILS, as the antennae usually need to be positioned so that the line of sight tends to pass through or close to the propeller disc. This applies to the glide slope in particular. The directional fields of the localizer and the glide slope are amplitude modulated at 90 Hz and 150 Hz. The 90 Hz corresponds to 1800 RPM in case of three-blade propeller, which is probably the most common cause for interference.

VOR should be somewhat more immune to the propeller issues, but it may be prone to "gallop" which is an unrelated phenomenon.

-Esa

JanF
Airman First Class

Post by JanF »

Nick - A2A wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 15:18 The Bonanza also has higher resolution interior cockpit textures than its predecessors
I have purchased both the Bananza and the T-6 Texan. I don't see any difference in cockpit display quality between them. Is a 4K monitor needed to take advantage of this ? I use a 2K monitor.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nope, for P3D you'll want to make sure your settings are set for 4k textures. This is different and separate to the monitor resolution which can be 4k.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”