Gulf-Porsche 917 Inspired Concept Art

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
Kermit42
Airman Basic

Gulf-Porsche 917 Inspired Concept Art

Post by Kermit42 »

Hey all! I thought I'd share this concept art that I put together of a V35 Bonanza with livery inspired by a Gulf Oil branded porsche 917K, similar to the one Steve McQueen drove in Le Mans.
I'm terrible at repaints in GIMP (try as I might, I can't seem to get the hang of alphas or find a blend mode that doesn't leave the old paint showing through :sigh:),
but I like making the concept art for these planes. Let me know what you think!
Full size png: https://i.imgur.com/D3XeZeD.png

awash2002
A2A ACE

Re: Gulf-Porsche 917 Inspired Concept Art

Post by awash2002 »

That is amazing

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Love it! I love the Gulf racing colours, looking grand!

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Interesting. There were a few variations on the Gulf blue/orange scheme, which could be applied to the Bonanza too. Orange wing leading edges and tips?? Tip Tanks??

Wouldn't mins seeing the Comanche done in this scheme as well.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 22 May 2020, 23:24 Interesting. There were a few variations on the Gulf blue/orange scheme, which could be applied to the Bonanza too. Orange wing leading edges and tips?? Tip Tanks??

Wouldn't mins seeing the Comanche done in this scheme as well.

Cheers,
Mike
I was with you Mike on he Comanche but I started one and the Bonanza may be a better bet. Since I have bad luck when painting the Bo I'll leave it to some of the good painters.

I'll keep working on it just for the fun of it but I don't know.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Sweet Comanche, my favourite :a2a: GA. I know it's a WIP, but I think the tip tanks should have some orange with black outline, or just straight orange as the light blue plane would get lost against a light blue sky. Just a suggestion, and I hope you complete it however you want and release it. I'd love to have this in my hangar.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Dogsbody55 wrote: 23 May 2020, 23:41 Sweet Comanche, my favourite :a2a: GA. I know it's a WIP, but I think the tip tanks should have some orange with black outline, or just straight orange as the light blue plane would get lost against a light blue sky. Just a suggestion, and I hope you complete it however you want and release it. I'd love to have this in my hangar.

Cheers,
Mike
Yes it needs a lot. I'm still thinking about it. It may get shelved for a little while. It was an experiment but there are possibilities.
After all this one started out as an experiment and turned into a fun paint to do.

Who knows a P-51 may look good with the "Gulf" scheme.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Wow. That's one sweet Comanche. The gulf paint will be worth the wait too. Hope you complete it.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Kermit42
Airman Basic

Post by Kermit42 »

Thanks for all the positive responses guys! I decided to bite the bullet and (re)try my hand at liveries for the 87 gazillionth time, and this time it isn't going to terribly. Anywho, I have a WIP and thought I'd share some pics so far. I started with the decals and now I'm getting in to the line matching and fiddly bits, so I'm not sure when it'll be done, but I'll put it somewhere public when it is. Please keep in mind also that this is my first real repaint and I'm still fiddling with it and adding to it, so it will definitly still change, hopefully for the better :lol:

Thanks again for your kind words!

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Kermit42 wrote: 26 May 2020, 12:55 Thanks for all the positive responses guys! I decided to bite the bullet and (re)try my hand at liveries for the 87 gazillionth time, and this time it isn't going to terribly. Anywho, I have a WIP and thought I'd share some pics so far. I started with the decals and now I'm getting in to the line matching and fiddly bits, so I'm not sure when it'll be done, but I'll put it somewhere public when it is. Please keep in mind also that this is my first real repaint and I'm still fiddling with it and adding to it, so it will definitly still change, hopefully for the better :lol:

Thanks again for your kind words!
I do think the V35 is the better choice for that scheme. I'll will mess with the 250 just for the fun.

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Worked on the 250 for a bit and I think it may be good when finished. Some tweaks and figure out what to do with tip tanks and maybe some sponsor stickers I may have another 250 racer.

I also started a P51 and it looks ok. Then again anything on the Mustang looks good because she is beautiful to start with. :) :)

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

The Gulf Comanche is coming along beautifully. I'm looking forward to see how it turns out in the end.

Alas I don't have the :a2a: Mustang, but if I did, I'd want to add your Gulf Racing scheme to that. I want the Cub and P-47 for P3D first, so it's still a maybe, especially if the Aussie $ improves against the US $.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

this seems entirely appropriate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQpflffL8rA

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”