Question re. little additional Stabilizers

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
matthiasmjf
Airman

Question re. little additional Stabilizers

Post by matthiasmjf »

Hi everyone,

one question has been bugging me ever since I first installed the V35B.
Below the ruddervators are some additional horizontal stabilizers that so far I haven´t seen on any real-world V35 I´ve come across.
This suggests to me the Bo was not factory-equipped but it has to be some sort of STC´d aftermarket solution, like the d´Shannon baffling and tip tanks, the IO550 conversion and more. I am guessing it is to somehow dampen the v-tail wig-wag? Does anyone know who offered this addon and its actual purpose?

Best

Matt

PS: Only plane I´ve seen them so far on real life photos is N40G which I suppose is the one N41G in the sim is based upon.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Question re. little additional Stabilizers

Post by Scott - A2A »

Hi Matt,

These are VOR antennas and are basically little airfoils to be as invisible as possible in terms of aerodynamics. We have these on our Aerostar tail.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

matthiasmjf
Airman

Post by matthiasmjf »

Hi Scott,

okay... I had considered but then dismissed antennae as those seemed rather largish and apart from N40G I hadn‘t seen them on any other v-tail before.
I thought VOR was kind of standard Radio navigation equipment that pretty much any plane, not to mention IFR capable ones have? Or are there different types of antennae?

Thanks for the clarification, really bugged me 😂

Best regards

Matt

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I understand the Bonanza originally had a combined COM and NAV antenna on the top of the cockpit in shape of very distinctive "flying wing" antenna. In A2A's configuration, there is a tall VHF blade antenna at the same location, almost certainly being a COM antenna. VHF blades are indeed fairly large.

-Esa

matthiasmjf
Airman

Post by matthiasmjf »

Ah thanks, indeed when thinking VOR I was thinking of the flying-vee antenna.
Been browsing the web; apparently there are various different types of antennae and locations and not all of them necessarily approved by Beechcraft.

Thanks for the info!

Best,

Matt

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

matthiasmjf wrote: 14 May 2020, 09:44 Been browsing the web; apparently there are various different types of antennae and locations and not all of them necessarily approved by Beechcraft.
I'd take a guess that none of these tail blades is approved by Beechcraft, not sure they never used that antenna configuration themselves. These are probably STCs or just changes approved by airplane-specific paperwork (or however the applicable ruling requires in case of the latter).

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”