Different values of fuel flow

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Different values of fuel flow

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

I see this picture. The gauge on instrument panel has a lower fuel flow than the SHIFT+2 window shows. Different is 1 gph nearly (9.6 on gauge - 10.4 in window). The fuel flow gauge is OK in the hangar. On other models data from SHIFT+2 window and the data on the fuel flow gauge are almost identical. What could be the problem? And what fuel consumption in this case will be real?

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Different values of fuel flow

Post by Caldemeyn »

Hmm...have you tried to tap the gauge a couple times ? Also, maybe the value is not great enough to register in the hanger as a fail yet ? Other models don't have this gauge wear mechanic implemented...yet 8) they show no discrepancies so thats a lead to this new feature at least, i think.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, I believe any small discrepancies could be explained away by the simulated gauge physics. For example, in my installation of the Bonanza which only has about 62 hours, the difference between the Shift 2 panel and the gauge seems to be about 0.5 or 0.6 gph.

In this case, the Shift 2 panel reports the actual variable from Accu-Sim, so should be the more accurate.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

Wow, Bonanza surprises more and more! I have 60 hours but difference between gauge and Shift+2 panel was from the start. Yep, I tap the gauges.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

I've replaced my fuel flow gauge at least twice in 150 hours, as before long it ends up reading a few gallons too low. It may or may not need to be tweaked because this seems like a rather extreme rate of degradation.

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

EnDSchultz wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 19:29 I've replaced my fuel flow gauge at least twice in 150 hours, as before long it ends up reading a few gallons too low. It may or may not need to be tweaked because this seems like a rather extreme rate of degradation.
Well my instrument panel is fully functional in the hangar. No "red" gauges.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The fact is that the real instrumentation is not super precise. There are analog sensors that are not perfect and then there is degradation of the information as it is sent to the guages in either an analog or digital format. The fuel for sensor is a small turbine in the fuel line that rotates and generates electrical pulses. The rate of pulses per second is then translated to a full flow rate.

This also assumes that the fuel flow sensor are calibrated correctly in the first place and that usually requires several long test flights in individual aircraft. The diameter of the fuel lines, the position of the sensor along the fuel lines and the type of sensor all play a role in calibration.

I would argue that a figure within .5 GPH is great and as good it will probably get IRL.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Oracle427 wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 09:29 The fuel for sensor is a small turbine in the fuel line that rotates and generates electrical pulses. The rate of pulses per second is then translated to a full flow rate.
And that's the fancy version. The regular old-school one simply responds to the fuel pressure while the gauge face is in units of flow. That's fine, but it reads somewhat dangerously in the wrong direction in case of any issues: with obstructed injector, for instance, the meter indicates high whereas the actual flow goes down.

Indeed, it is good that flight simulators start to deal with inaccuracies of real life. Even while a hi-tech Airbus may indicate, say, 821 °C TGT...well, it really isn't. Or can be, but more likely isn't. This applies to just about every measurement.

-Esa

Eugene Kremlev
Senior Airman

Post by Eugene Kremlev »

So, after the difference in fuel flow between the gauge and the Shift-2 increased to 2 gph (70 hours), the inspection in the hangar showed a faulty fuel flow gauge. But one nuance - the fuel flow gauge was not repaired manually (singly) no matter how much I tried, only a "repair all" helped. :a2a: it's the capital of simulations :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”