V-Tail Bonanza video

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

V-Tail Bonanza video

Post by caribpilot »

Here is a pretty cool video on the V-Tail.
https://youtu.be/vDTYAXBcaIw
M.Carter
Private Pilot

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: V-Tail Bonanza video

Post by ClipperLuna »

Neat video. One thing that kind of surprised me was his pulling the prop back to 2500 soon after takeoff, with the manifold pressure still north of 28". I'm assuming this is for noise abatement. Is it usual to do it that way? I've been afraid to run more than 26" @ 2500 so I always throttle it first.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Funny, I JUST watched that yesterday! Must be those creepy Google algorithms recommending similar stuff to like minds. As for reducing prop so early, I am curious as well. I wonder if it's a longevity thing. Squaring off your climb power will maximize TBO but with newer engines and 100LL being the standard octane fuel these days it is possible to safely climb at higher MAP?

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

It has to be for sound abatement. I picked up a used copy of "Those Incomparable Bonanza's" a couple weeks ago, and Mr. Ball makes a reference to pulling back to 2500 RPM as soon as he starts his climb. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe he mentioned something about being a good neighbor. :wink:

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by caribpilot »

In a future update it would be nice if A2A added the option of having a tint on the two back windows.
M.Carter
Private Pilot

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

caribpilot wrote:having a tint on the two back windows.
Que Gabriel Iglesias:

"He was here a second ago . . . I dunno where he went! 'Scuse me? Me fly? Oh hell no; I don't have a license!"

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Nice video, thanks for sharing. In my opinion although glass panels are more useful and combine more info like the guy in the video said, I prefer steam gauges for old GA birds. Feels more natural to me. :wink:

Cheerz,
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Chunk wrote:It has to be for sound abatement. I picked up a used copy of "Those Incomparable Bonanza's" a couple weeks ago, and Mr. Ball makes a reference to pulling back to 2500 RPM as soon as he starts his climb. I don't have it in front of me, but I believe he mentioned something about being a good neighbor. :wink:
Makes sense. I suppose what I'm really wondering is whether or not it's hard on the engine. I mean, to pull the prop back but leave the throttle in. Apparently not(?)

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

My engine has just under 780 hours on it, 80 of them are mine. If I'm taking off and climbing out rather than staying low and local, then I leave the throttle full open and bring the RPM's back to 2,500 a few seconds after liftoff. I usually cruise at 8-10,000 feet, my RPM's stay at 2,500 and throttle full until I start descent. I haven't had any engine trouble whatsoever so far in 80 hours.

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by caribpilot »

Here is another video.
https://youtu.be/LcEItVBWnMQ
M.Carter
Private Pilot

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

AviationAtWar wrote:My engine has just under 780 hours on it, 80 of them are mine. If I'm taking off and climbing out rather than staying low and local, then I leave the throttle full open and bring the RPM's back to 2,500 a few seconds after liftoff. I usually cruise at 8-10,000 feet, my RPM's stay at 2,500 and throttle full until I start descent. I haven't had any engine trouble whatsoever so far in 80 hours.
Are you running the 520 or the 550? From what I've been able to piece together from reading other forums, the 550 is happy being run that way, but the question gets murkier when we start talking about the 520(?). And it looks like the guy in the new video pulled his rpms back to 2300 with the throttle full in ( :shock: ).

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I'm flying the 550.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

ClipperLuna wrote:Neat video. One thing that kind of surprised me was his pulling the prop back to 2500 soon after takeoff, with the manifold pressure still north of 28". I'm assuming this is for noise abatement. Is it usual to do it that way? I've been afraid to run more than 26" @ 2500 so I always throttle it first.
It is rather common way to reduce takeoff noise to bring back the RPM a little...I doubt there would be any problems whatsoever resulting from this method in most engines, as long as it is done smoothly and with usual care in lever movements.

IO-520 and IO-550 should be pretty much similar in these respects, I can't think of any aspect that would make any difference in between them.

-Esa

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Well that's good enough for me. I'm going to modify my takeoff/initial climb from now on.

No matter how many times I think I've got it all figured out, there's always something new (new to me, anyway).

Edit. I took a closer look at the POH and found maximum normal operating power is full throttle, 2550 rpm. Even though I tend to be somewhat over-cautious with these things, I can't believe dropping another 50 rpm would do any harm.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”