CG Station for Tip Tanks?

The world's most famous high performance general aviation aircraft
new reply
EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

CG Station for Tip Tanks?

Post by EnDSchultz »

Given the incredible CG sensitivity of the Bonanza, it is rather tragic that the current manual doesn't include any way to factor in tip tank fuel. Has anyone found a source indicating the effect of tip tanks on the CG?

I never really bothered much with CG calculations in the Comanche since it was so rock solid and probably within limits no matter how you loaded it. And, with all the almost innumerable combinations of tip tanks and various options like soundproofing, fairings, stabilator tips, etc, it would have been a nightmare to try and factor them all in.

But the Bonanza only really has the option of either the 520 or and the 550 engine, and the tip tanks. Would be good to have an approximation (even if only a guestimate) of how each of these options affects the empty weight and CG.

canuck
Airman

Re: CG Station for Tip Tanks?

Post by canuck »

But the Bonanza only really has the option of either the 520 or and the 550 engine, and the tip tanks. Would be good to have an approximation (even if only a guestimate) of how each of these options affects the empty weight and CG.
Agreed.. I built a spread sheet so I could establish baseline loading that I could use and be confident with WB in a gas and go op.. Used 'Basic Empty Condition' weight and arm from the sample loading in documentation [pg 89] 2088 and 77.9.. But when I empty the aircraft using 'Payload and Fuel manager', I get a weight of 2302 (with zero fuel and no payload); if I add tip tanks, that increases to 2309.. I'm sure that the tip tanks weigh more than that :) .. If I change to the IO 550 there is no weight change at all..

BUT, I can sure see where you can get yourself off the AFT limit when landing due to fuel consumption !

I'm not sure, but changing WB with addition of tip tanks and change of engine might require additional model work for very little change in handling.. I found a loading profile that will keep me in the sweet spot of CG for all fuel loads, and notice no WB effect with or without 'tip tanks', or a change to/from the IO 550..

Another A2A winner to add to my hangar.. Many thanks to everyone that brought this to our community..

Glenn Reed
Propliners Rule !!..

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Tip tanks are rather light and add a little. I'd estimate the entire setup to be around 20...30 lbs. Note that they replace the factory standard wing tip fairing which also weighs some.

The weight change with the engine is almost negligible. Actually, I think remembering the IO-550-B is a tad lighter from the two.

-Esa

canuck
Airman

Post by canuck »

Thanks for the info Esa.. Always good to know the facts :D ..
Propliners Rule !!..

skyhawkii
Airman

Post by skyhawkii »

I asked myself the same. If you install the tip tanks you get a flight manual supplement where the CG changes are described. This is the flight manual supplement of the D'Shannon tip tanks used at the A2A Bonanza:
https://www.d-shannon-aviation.com/imag ... SAMPLE.pdf

The tanks seem to be pretty neutral on the CG range. You still got the same small cg range at 3600 lbs mtov that you got at 3400 lbs mtov (without tip tanks).

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

I joined the ABS (American Bonanza Society) the other day and there is quite a bit of info there. My question - is the A2A version D'Shannon or Osborne?

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

skyhawkii wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 04:55 I asked myself the same. If you install the tip tanks you get a flight manual supplement where the CG changes are described. This is the flight manual supplement of the D'Shannon tip tanks used at the A2A Bonanza:
https://www.d-shannon-aviation.com/imag ... SAMPLE.pdf

The tanks seem to be pretty neutral on the CG range. You still got the same small cg range at 3600 lbs mtov that you got at 3400 lbs mtov (without tip tanks).
Apologies, I failed to realize you answered the question:

"D'Shannon tip tanks used at the A2A Bonanza"

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

For Bonanza's - one of the slickest tools I've ever come across - for the iPad and FREE... Seems to have your tips included...

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bonanza-p ... d910038344

Regards,
Scott

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Here's a screenshot:

Regards,
Scott

skyhawkii
Airman

Post by skyhawkii »

Hi Scott,

thanks, this tool is awesome!

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

skyhawkii wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 02:42 Hi Scott,

thanks, this tool is awesome!
I must have been disconnected when I setup the flight illustrated above - it normally picks and displays best runway for winds...

Happy to help - yeah - I thought it was pretty darn good as well - they seem to have i for TBM's, Barrons, and Skyhawks too...
:)

Regardsm
Scott

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

That's nice, but all us doctors are way too busy to look at that stuff. We just get in our Bonanzas and go!

--------------------

Just kidding! I like that program. Thank you for posting!

Seeya
ATB

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Paughco wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 21:52 That's nice, but all us doctors are way too busy to look at that stuff. We just get in our Bonanzas and go!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paughco wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 21:52 Just kidding! I like that program. Thank you for posting!
Looks amazing...don't have the Bonanza...yet......
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

skyhawkii
Airman

Post by skyhawkii »

This is pretty interesting stuff. I played around a little bit with this app to figure out witch payload variations are possible with the Bo. Espacially with the 200 lbs gross weight increase provided by the tip tank installation. In my conclusion the only way to access the additional gross weight is putting fuel in the tips. With empty tips I'm not able to use it as additional payload behind the front seats because the C/G moves out of envelope. The Bo is a great airplane but you have to be careful loading it due to its small C/G range at higher gross weights.

new reply

Return to “Bonanza "V-Tail"”