Rapid Climb During Cruise

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
frankie1029
Airman

Rapid Climb During Cruise

Post by frankie1029 »

Hello Everyone,

I am currently flying the Connie across the United States. I am settled into a cruise at FL250. The Sperry autopilot has control of the airplane until I have to tweak the trim for altitude.

I was cruising along nicely and I happened to tap on one of my brake pedals. As I watched the brake psi drop, the airplane began to climb. Quickly. I had very little time to react but was able to regain control.

The autopilot was still on when the airplane went crazy.

I fiddled for a bit after this happened. The climb happens when you use the brake pedals and switch the brake selector from "normal" to "emergency." But, with the elevator boost OFF, the problem does not occur. This is leading me to believe that this is a feature of the airplane.

My question is: Is this a feature with the airplane, or is it a glitch?

Thanks in advance,

fc

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Rapid Climb During Cruise

Post by flapman »

I plan to test this today. I will be using FSX:A
Which sim does this happen in?

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Are you using FSX Steam with beta.
Cheers
Trev

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

I can't replicate this scenario in FSX:Acceleration. And I don't have any reason to believe this would be something that could happen. I'm cruising right now at 10,000ft (empty, unpressurized). I'm holding the wheel brakes using my joystick.. and keyboard. I'm seeing no drop in Brake pressure. Or Emergency Brake pressure. Even when I repeat the test with the system in Emergency brakes. Even with the parking brake engaged. The pressure stays good (on both supplies) and the autopilot (Sperry) remains engaged.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi frankie1029.
When you said you turned the elevator boost off , you have effectivly removed the hydraulics from the elevator , making the elevator go to limited manual movment , or did you mean the autopilot elevator engagement lever was disconnected so you manually controlled pitch , also at that flight level , you are at the max alt , so would take very little to upset the aircraft balance .
I have never known the hydraulic brake pressure to effect flying controls , did you have any inflight failures on the main hydraulics , what positions where your hydraulic switches in on the engineers panel and what was the hydraulic fluid levels showing on the engineers panel these items are shown on page 121 of manual and ref items are 7/13.
regards Alan. 8)

frankie1029
Airman

Post by frankie1029 »

Hello and thank you for the reply!

The autopilot elevator controls were on. Upon finishing the flight, the hydraulic levels were all okay. There were no failures.

fc

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi frankie1029.
Have you manged to replicate this issue , or has it only happened the once , also what was the 3 sensetivity pots set to on the sperry , if this is a repeatable issue , instead of disconnecting elevator boost , just try disconnecting the autopilot elevator control to see if you can regain pitch control , but i would recommend you fly at around 20000 to 21000 when aircraft is at medium to heavy weight , at 25000 you are in coffin corner on this aircraft , and any weather turbulance , or wind changes will easily upset the aircraft stability .
regards Alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”