Missing Instrument Gauges

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Adam Pestridge
Airman

Re: Missing Instrument Gauges

Post by Adam Pestridge »

Nick - A2A wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 11:23 File size is correct, thanks. Please can you also make sure that a copy of this file isn't present in any of the individual "texture.???" folders for the various liveries. (e.g. "texture.BOAC")

Thanks,
Nick
I have today, since this issue has been happening, placed in some liveries, which made no change to the issue, one of the liveries I placed in does indeed have a copy of that file (my hope was it to fix it) although it made no difference.

Removing those files just now makes no change to the issue. I know it must be something on my system otherwise everyone (like the beacon file) would be seeing the same.... I just dont understand why these instruments would change, when there is no change to any settings on my system/gpu or p3d settings.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks. To be honest, since various files have been moved I'd suggest you run another reinstall. This time, after you uninstall but before you reinstall, please can you manually delete the entire "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A\SimObjects\Airplanes\WoS_L049" folder. I also recommend you delete the P3D shader cache again and launch the sim before you reinstall the Connie.

However, this is indeed a curious issue! :?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Adam Pestridge
Airman

Post by Adam Pestridge »

Nick - A2A wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 11:35 Okay, thanks. To be honest, since various files have been moved I'd suggest you run another reinstall. This time, after you uninstall but before you reinstall, please can you manually delete the entire "Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A\SimObjects\Airplanes\WoS_L049" folder. I also recommend you delete the P3D shader cache again and launch the sim before you reinstall the Connie.

However, this is indeed a curious issue! :?

Thanks,
Nick
Thats exactly what I did this morning. Also, deleting EVERY folder with the L049 title on the entire PC.
Considering this issue was there before I introduced any new files and is still there afterwards as well, its not likely they are the cause of this is it?

I will do it tho. Back in 5 minutes

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

It does sound a bit more like it might be a shader issue considering that Adam, but we certainly need to get your Connie installation back to default for troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Adam Pestridge
Airman

Post by Adam Pestridge »

Okay, here is what I did step by step:

* Ran the Uninstaller from add/remove programs
* Hunted down every folder on the PC in about 7 different locations and deleted whatever was named L049.
* Emptied the shader cache ( I didnt need to delete anything in the addons folder as that was already gone from the uninstaller)
* Restarted the PC
* Ran the simulator INTO THE DEFAULT AIRPORT using the default plane.
* Redownloaded the installer from my Sim Market account. 202.17mb in size
* Ran the installer from the VIDEOS location, usually I run installers from a folder called New folder on my desktop. It said I had version 20.6.6.0 installed for the L049 and would I like to update the the 20.11.1.0 which was 3.89 in size.
* Ran the simulator, at an addon airport without loading the connie.
* Shut the sim down and reloaded at the same airport with the connie....

no change, still the same issue.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Adam,

I think the next thing to try is a complete reset of your P3D settings. Lockheed Martin have actually incorporated a shortcut for just this purpose: it's the "delete generated files" shortcut in the main Prepar3D directory. Please can you give this a try. Note that it'll remove any custom controller assignment etc, so you may wish to back up the "C:\Users\{UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Controls" directory.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Adam Pestridge
Airman

Post by Adam Pestridge »

Nick - A2A wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 06:19 Hello Adam,

I think the next thing to try is a complete reset of your P3D settings. Lockheed Martin have actually incorporated a shortcut for just this purpose: it's the "delete generated files" shortcut in the main Prepar3D directory. Please can you give this a try. Note that it'll remove any custom controller assignment etc, so you may wish to back up the "C:\Users\{UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Controls" directory.

Thanks,
Nick
I can try the deleted generated files option.... although I have 3 times already now tried the resetting of the cfg files to no avail... I lshall click for the first time ever that option.

Adam Pestridge
Airman

Post by Adam Pestridge »

Okay, I deleted all those files to the bin.... and when I reloaded the sim up with the A2A addon, all is well in the Connie once more....

So out of 81 files in my sim, one or more is causing this to happen... I will firstly reapply the beacon fix and check and then go through all these files to find out which one it was....

There must be something that triggered this for the connie in the first place... do you have any idea on the file I can look at first?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the update Adam. Glad to hear this fixes the problem. Without knowing exactly which changes you've made and which other add-ons you use (for example any that modify shaders) it's hard to be sure what the culprit was. You could always restore the files from the recycle bin and then manually remove them if you wanted to try and narrow it down.

For example, after restoring, first remove just the "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" folder, and if that doesn't fix the issues, remove only "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" folder.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Adam Pestridge
Airman

Post by Adam Pestridge »

Nick - A2A wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 06:45 Okay, thanks for the update Adam. Glad to hear this fixes the problem. Without knowing exactly which changes you've made and which other add-ons you use (for example any that modify shaders) it's hard to be sure what the culprit was. You could always restore the files from the recycle bin and then manually remove them if you wanted to try and narrow it down.

For example, after restoring, first remove just the "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" folder, and if that doesn't fix the issues, remove only "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5" folder.

Thanks,
Nick
the way Im narrowing it down is too simply restore from the recycle bin, on file at a time and then load the sim three times in three different locations to check... this way I can figure out which exact file it is and then work a solution for it.

Thanks for all your help, Ill post back in here my findings when Im done... probably take a few days LOL

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Adam and good luck with finding the software/file that was responsible.

Kind regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Adam Pestridge
Airman

Post by Adam Pestridge »

Okay, I seem to have found out the issue, I found out that in ProgramData and Appdata locations for P3Dv5, there are some files called dll.xml

PMDG, RAAS, Carenado and Captain Sim plus others all use these files and the sim only inserts the one in Programdata if its not there with a acexml document entry by default.

It is my dll.xml (with entries from RAAS, PMDG and Carenado in) that was preventing the gauges from displaying correctly.

Active Sky weather engine at some point must access or write to this file as it also makes a backup of the file in the appdata location. As does RAASPro.

by default the sim has one of these files in the ProgramData location and Captain Sim must be the one to install one into the appdata location as its the first entry in the file.
This file does nothing for the issue with the connie tho, but when I re-introduce the one into Programdata with the additional data added, thats when the Connie instruments go by by...

In that file, I have had PMDG, Active Sky, Carenado and RAASPro all create entries into that file as I use those addons.

It seems that either PMDG, RAASPRo, Carenado or Active Sky (RAASPRO was the most recent one) changed the layout of the document when they wrote to it as taking the original text and layout from the sim default (which has all the same words, just has an extra line (</Simbase.document entry) do the gauges come back to working order. So it seems that this line

(</Simbase.document entry)

is responsible for the missing instruments.
Im not sure why the connie takes issue with the missing text caused by another developer, or why no one else has reported this, this tho could be the result of me using Carenado planes from V4 in V5 or the PMDG DC6 in V5. As others would have had this same issue if it were RAASPro or Active Sky.
Obviously, the way this file is written too in V4 is different in V5 and it tripped only the connie up, although it could also be a simple dev error for which ever dev wrote in that file during an installation and changed the layout, not placing in that one line.... either way, its all sorted now. So it seems it was a mixture of me using V4 addons in V5 or a V5 dev making a single mistake. Im more inclined to believe it was me using older addons in a more recent sim.
There we go.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”