Cabin is too warm

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
DCAPilot
Airman

Cabin is too warm

Post by DCAPilot »

My FE seems unable to comprehend the air conditioning system. He can warm a cabin up with no problem but when the cabin is too warm he never cools it. GPU is on, the FE has control of everything, and the cooler switch is on. He even says Master airconditioning system is on. I've waited 15 or 20 minutes and still cabin is too warm.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Cabin is too warm

Post by AviationAtWar »

You'll need to run engines 1 and 4 for cooling.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

AviationAtWar wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 18:52 You'll need to run engines 1 and 4 for cooling.
Okay. So I'm at the gate loading and don't want engines running. The Flight Attendant mentions it's too warm will that affect my rating when I turn on the career mode? Even with the GPU you can't get cooling?

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Do not start engine 1 or 2 before you finish boarding and the cabin is secure. I left all the engines running on the Stratocruiser once during unboarding to keep the plane cool and lost a passenger.

If you start engine 4, it is enough to get the cabin cool. The FE will take care of it. You may get comments about the cabin temperature at the end of the flight if you don't let the cabin cool off before boarding, so it probably has some effect on your career.

Typically I'll shut the engines down and immediately let the passengers off and haven't ever gotten any comments from doing that, only if the airplane is hot when they board. Your mileage may vary.

Hook

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Hook wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 23:50 Do not start engine 1 or 2 before you finish boarding and the cabin is secure. I left all the engines running on the Stratocruiser once during unboarding to keep the plane cool and lost a passenger.

If you start engine 4, it is enough to get the cabin cool. The FE will take care of it. You may get comments about the cabin temperature at the end of the flight if you don't let the cabin cool off before boarding, so it probably has some effect on your career.

Typically I'll shut the engines down and immediately let the passengers off and haven't ever gotten any comments from doing that, only if the airplane is hot when they board. Your mileage may vary.

Hook
Interesting information not in the manual. I've not been starting engines until boarded for safety reasons. I also figured that the GPU would power the AC systems. It seems to be able to handle a cold cabin and warm it up. I'll try this in the future. It will be interesting to see what GSX says when I want a pushback with number 4 running.

Sorry about the lost passenger! That is some simulation.

I'll try it out. It will be a while before I turn on Career mode as I'm still learning the plane.

Thank you for the information.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

DCAPilot wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 12:46Sorry about the lost passenger! That is some simulation.
Here's the entire story of that:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=33462

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I'm not sure what GSX might do if you request push back with only one engine running; I don't have it.

Typically I'll start all four engines before requesting pushback, and I usually wait for them to get to operating temperature. I've seen advice to use only the inboard engines to taxi, leaving the outboard engines at idle (at least 800 RPM to prevent plug fouling), and I prefer to have them up to temperature to do this. Oil-in temperature should be at least 40° C. I also let cylinder head temperature get up to 100° C although this is not strictly necessary, as CHT only needs to be at that point for run-up if I understand it correctly.

There's a sim anomaly where if you start engine #4 and let it run for a while, the aircraft will turn a bit to the left. In those cases instead of using the normal start sequence of 3, 4 (already running, of course), 2, 1 I'll use 4 (already running), 1, 2, 3 which helps turn the aircraft back to the right just a bit.

Hook

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Hook wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 14:04
DCAPilot wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 12:46Sorry about the lost passenger! That is some simulation.

Hook
Thanks. I'll check out the story about the passenger.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Hook
And that's how they got the gremlin for that old Twilight Zone episode. :)

Seeya
ATB

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Paughco wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 23:25

Hook
And that's how they got the gremlin for that old Twilight Zone episode. :)

Seeya
ATB
LOL!

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”