Vspeed slamms up and down inside clouds

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
nitroSkirata
Airman Basic

Vspeed slamms up and down inside clouds

Post by nitroSkirata »

Hey,
I have the problem, that when flying through clouds, the Conni gets slapped around, I understand changes in winds and up/downdrafts, but it feels like the planne gets slammed into, including a slamming sound(like someone closing a cardoor, hard). after the slamming sound, the Vertical Speed Indcator jumps by 500-3000 feet per minute up or down. after 10-120seconds, I get another Slamming sound and the VSI jumps in the reverse direction, by the same amount.

Here is a video of the phenomenon, sadly sound was not recorded.

https://youtu.be/SbNgt4eUguY

you can see a 1500fpm jump at minute 1:10 and the jump back at 1:20. another upwards slam occurs at 1:33.

I hope someone can explain what happens to me, and how i can prevent these events from occuring.

greetings,
nitroSkirata

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Vspeed slamms up and down inside clouds

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello,

Looks like you have ActiveSky running and that's what's creating the strong updrafts and downdrafts. Recommend you reduce the maximum rates for these in the ASP4 settings.

I believe ASP4 also has a setting which bypasses these predefined rates when flying in a thunderstorm cell, so you may wish to deselect this option too if you'd prefer not to experience this extreme behaviour. I guess quite a few real pilots in the somewhat hazardous age of the piston airliners wished they had a similar option. :)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

nitroSkirata
Airman Basic

Post by nitroSkirata »

Hey Nick,

I had already disable the turbluence settings (all sliders for turbs on 0) but i didn't play around with the downdraft...

I thought one would ease into a downdraft, not enter it like having a switch thrown...
Also the Vspeed change is higher then the max. draft by ~500fpm, another reason why i choose not to change it...

When i do my next flight, i'll see if it helped.

greetings,
nitroSkirata

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I suspect the "realistic thunderstorm up and downdraft rate" checkbox in ASP4 is the cause here judging by the quantity of lightning in the vid. Anyway, let us know how you get on, and welcome to the A2A forums!

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

nitroSkirata
Airman Basic

Post by nitroSkirata »

Hey Nick,

just started my next leg of the around the world tour, and had no problem climbing through the same thunderstorm, but with the max draft reduced to 150 fpm from 1000fpm, feels like a rough-ish ride, but not like you are hit in the gut every half minute or so :D

thanks for the help,
nitroSkirata

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Nick is right about that setting. I had mine turned off for a while, currently it's back on. I prefer to have the effects.

I suggest avoiding flying into clouds in a thunderstorm. If you cannot avoid clouds at all, then find an alternate route. Or an alternate destination airport.

If necessary you can use historical weather and find a day that doesn't have thunderstorms on your route. You can even change this on the fly while in the sim.

Hook

nitroSkirata
Airman Basic

Post by nitroSkirata »

Hey Hook,

I'd love to avoid flying in the clouds, but changing the weather is normally not really a possibility, since i am flying on Vatsim and diverting is not really what i want to do, since i mostly fly events, in wich arriving at the correct airport is important :D

i have as previously said, reduced the effects, so it feels like I am in some chop/turb but not like slamming into walls.

greetings,
nitroSkirata

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

In that case, if the magenta line takes you through a thunderhead, deviate from the magenta line. Avoid the thunderhead at all costs.

I have updraft/downdraft rates limited to 500 fps. I have realistic updraft/downdraft rates in thunderstorms checked so I'm getting a lot more than 500 there. I fly in thunderstorms quite often and am able to avoid problems.

Learn to recognize thunderheads out the window and on the weather map in Active Sky, and learn to avoid them. Even flying too near one will result in "severe turbulence".

I usually fly with "track up" and "route and waypoints not displayed". This gives a pretty good representation of a weather radar. The actual aircraft may have had a weather scope that showed lightning but we don't have a way to do that as the sim doesn't report where lightning is.

Hook

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

nitroSkirata wrote: 01 May 2020, 14:09 I thought one would ease into a downdraft, not enter it like having a switch thrown...
This is how the vertical drafts are currently modeled, unfortunately. You basically enter an area and a fixed vertical speed component is immediately introduced. When you exit the area, this Is immediately taken away. If turbulence is not added, this vertical speed gain/loss is precisely steady. The areas can be a few kilometers in diameter, apparently.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”