Tiller Steering

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Tiller Steering

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update DCAPilot - good to hear you got to the bottom of the issue.

Basically, the input configurator allows the user to assign hardware axes/buttons or keyboard shortcut to custom local variables (L:Vars) within Accu-Sim. In other words, stuff which isn't included in (or works differently to) the base sim.

A registered copy of FSUIPC is another method which can be used to program commands to these L:Vars.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Nick - A2A wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 08:10 Thanks for the update DCAPilot - good to hear you got to the bottom of the issue.

Basically, the input configurator allows the user to assign hardware axes/buttons or keyboard shortcut to custom local variables (L:Vars) within Accu-Sim. In other words, stuff which isn't included in (or works differently to) the base sim.

A registered copy of FSUIPC is another method which can be used to program commands to these L:Vars.

Cheers,
Nick
So I guess the L:VARS somehow don't work with Direct Input then? Now that I know what it is I can work around it.

Okay. I see now. Is there an API for accu-sim that can be used to access these variables? At this point I don't want to add another thing to the mix especially when I won't use most of it (I had a registered copy of FSUIPC years ago).

Thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

The L:Vars will work the same irrespective of which input API is used in P3D, raw or direct. it's just that your controller(s) aren't recognised by P3D if you use direct input, and hence the input configurator can't access them.

As far as I'm aware, if you wish to use P3D without its native controller support (in your case by using direct input and Joystick Gremlin) you'll need FSUIPC to program the custom L:Vars. Unless Joystick Gremlin also has this capability?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Nick - A2A wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 12:50 The L:Vars will work the same irrespective of which input API is used in P3D, raw or direct. it's just that your controller(s) aren't recognised by P3D if you use direct input, and hence the input configurator can't access them.

As far as I'm aware, if you wish to use P3D without its native controller support (in your case by using direct input and Joystick Gremlin) you'll need FSUIPC to program the custom L:Vars. Unless Joystick Gremlin also has this capability?

Thanks,
Nick
That is what is strange. The controllers are seen in both Raw and Direct Input in that they show up in the controller lists but in Raw P3D does not see the inputs even when it sees the controllers! What is stranger is that in DI P3D sees all the inputs from the controlers (I can move axes and push buttons and P3D shows them in the control mapping) but won't respond to what I enter in the configurator. Well I'm not going to worry about it. I can work around it if I have to. Just the way P3D does it.

My question on the API was because I was wondering if I can write my own interface in C++ and actually access the L:VARS in accusim?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, I'd have been better of phrasing the above as "if your controller(s) inputs aren't recognised by P3D if you use direct input, the input configurator can't access them either."

My understanding of the inner workings of the two APIs is a bit limited I'm afraid, but Lockheed Martin have stated that the default raw input is the preferred method, whilst the deprecated direct input method can be used if problems are encountered with specific controllers such as in your case.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Nick - A2A wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 13:22 Yes, I'd have been better of phrasing the above as "if your controller(s) inputs aren't recognised by P3D if you use direct input, the input configurator can't access them either."

My understanding of the inner workings of the two APIs is a bit limited I'm afraid, but Lockheed Martin have stated that the default raw input is the preferred method, whilst the deprecated direct input method can be used if problems are encountered with specific controllers such as in your case.

Thanks,
Nick
Okay. Yes, at one time MS declared DI dead since they figured who needs that many controllers since everyone had consoles <G>.

I am guessing that vJoy shows the controllers up as DI and since that's what the Joystick Gremlin author uses I'm stuck until I find a replacement. I've passed it back to the author of JG but he's stuck with how vJoy works unless he wants to dig into the USB direct interface which he doesn't!

Can I access Accu-sim LVARS via my own programs?

Thanks again for the help. I'm still getting it all sorted out on controlling the Connie and getting the CH TQs setup. A2A does fantastic work.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome DCAPilot and thanks for the kind words.

If you wish to write your own software and access the L:Vars (much as FSUIPC does), it should be possible. However, most people including cockpit builders seem to just use FSUIPC and Lua script for this.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Nick - A2A wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 13:49 You're welcome DCAPilot and thanks for the kind words.

If you wish to write your own software and access the L:Vars (much as FSUIPC does), it should be possible. However, most people including cockpit builders seem to just use FSUIPC and Lua script for this.

Thanks,
Nick
Where do I find the documentation on A2A L:VARS and instructions on accessing them? I know the P3D SDK talks about them (I've been writing some code to pull information out of P3D) but I didn't dig into how to access them and I assume A2A has their own preferred way.

I assume you mean LUA with FSUPIC? I can do Lua too but right now just don't want to deal with FSUIPC if I can do it through P3D or another way. Maybe at some point.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Although we tend to publish a list of the more helpful L:Vars for the GA products (the ones which are generally more popular with cockpit builders) I don't think this was done for the L-049.

To be honest, and without wishing to sound like an FSUIPC salesman, this really is the approach I'd recommend if you wish to access local variables but you're unable to use the input configurator. It allows the user to create a list of all the active L:Vars quite quickly, and simple text macros and/or Lua scripts can then be used to control them.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

DCAPilot
Airman

Post by DCAPilot »

Nick - A2A wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 05:13 Although we tend to publish a list of the more helpful L:Vars for the GA products (the ones which are generally more popular with cockpit builders) I don't think this was done for the L-049.

To be honest, and without wishing to sound like an FSUIPC salesman, this really is the approach I'd recommend if you wish to access local variables but you're unable to use the input configurator. It allows the user to create a list of all the active L:Vars quite quickly, and simple text macros and/or Lua scripts can then be used to control them.

Thanks,
Nick
Okay. Thanks. A suggestion for when A2A has time (that's a joke as I know you are all very busy)! Publish the list.

Yes, I know it may come down to FSUIPC but at this point I just want to do without. The Connie seems to maneuver with rudders well enough so I'll use them for now.

Thanks for the help and insight into the Connie. I'm just getting time to start test flights to get a feel for it. I had an unexpected failure on my NAS power supply so that has kept me busy fixing it.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”