Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: Engine RPM mismatch after startup

Post by trisho0 »

I might purchase the B377 I am curious. I hope not the same as PMDG DC-6 not realistic as Connie but that's a nice Bird.
I am thinking on getting the EZDok but wonder if I will have to use with internet activated all time like with ActiveSky. I learned about stutters with ActiveSky if internet is slow. Lucky I didn't get it.
Later I will do FPL, EDDH-LSZH in VOR. I watched one video on Youtube titled as A2A 049 Constellation - Connie / EDDH - LSZH / P3D - VOR Navigation - ILS - Lets play.
I will not do ILS because I need to learn ILS setup first. So I will proceed with more practice to be more comfortable handling Sperry. I will try without GPS but if I load the flight plan created in the sim will Connie follow my Plan anyway? I will find out ...
Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

EZDok does not need internet activated all the time, just when you install it. There is no stutters with this program.
I am learning to fly the DC-6. They are all different, but you can use skills common to all 3 of the planes.You can load a flight plan so you can follow it visually on the map. Dont use the FS Autopilot and GPS in this case. Use the Sperry to fly but you need to do the heading changes to follow the flight plan.
ILS is quite simple but you need to know the information before you fly the approach. I found these charts by googling 'LSZH Charts' https://vau.aero/navdb/chart/LSZH.pdf
pg 70 shows passing through TRA on a 189 hdg descending from 5000 to 4000 ft to intercept the 153 ILS 110.5 IZH, then follow the ILS needles (item 10 pg 113). You can see on the ILS chart just below the vertical profile there are vertical speeds matching ground speed. So if you are doing 120 knots you would expect the matching 637 ft per minute descent would keep you on the glideslope.
Last edited by TreeTops on 04 Aug 2020, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi Trev,
Damn! sorry..... It wasn't a success this time. I did video but if needed to see just le me know so I can upload. I did a flight plan as:
EDDH
HBD 116.90/188
CHA 115.50/187
SUL 116.10/188
DON 110.55/189
TRA 114.30/190
LSZH ------/160

Connie followed very well the frequencies and course by looking at the right side of the VOR Selector where we can find the remaining distance running. Well, as I said it was working such "nm counter". But, in SUL there was no counting, dead nm info. Then, to figure I decided to change for the next waypoint. I changed the freq/course of SUL for the next waypoint DON and it did counting the remining nm distance. I mean the number was decreasing as usual normal. It suddenly the counting changed the direction, instead of decreasing the nm number it started increasing. It was 30 nm remaining distance and when it started increasing the nm distance I had to stop the flight and video.

I will go back to GPS until finding why it happened the problem in question. Connie is blind now (lol).
Downloaded the LSZH charts pdf to take a look at later.
EZDock not yet but I have that in mind.
You learning DC-6? You are kidding me (lol). Well, 2 same flight same plane usually are different is what Scotts said. You know that. But again, learning DC-6 ..... no way.
I remember to have seen in some Youtube videos Connie has her own Map.... I will check.
Please, don't break PMDG DC-6. I saw some comments in this A2a Forum (not this thread) Connie is more realistic than DC-6. I have the DC-6 and I think tried once but didn't know about flying with.
Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I added some ILS information to my previous post while you were typing yours. :)
The reason you didnt get distance from SUL is because it is not a DVOR (VOR with DME). If you look at the symbol at CHA it has a hexagon and a square, SUL only has the hexagon.
HDB is a DME only so it wont give you direction. It only has the square
To fly VOR to VOR you have to select the navaids that give you what you need.
You can also select NDB's but they dont give distance.
Sometimes you will find a NDB and a DME at the same location. You need both direction and distance.
Perhaps you might pick EDDH DLE GED KRH TRA LSZH.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi Master Trev,
That's rare because the flight plan delivered from the sim I did VOR to VOR with IFR and got the list of waypoints I posted. I did another try but with FSX and I entered exactly the same data to radios as per a video I watched from Youtube and it was as:
LBE 115.10/251
NIE 116.50/186

I was on airborne and the remaining distance info was fine and suddenly it changed back. Is it because the waypoint of NIE is not a VOR?
What about to add only TRA 114.30/190 and straight to LSZH course 160?
I couldn't add DLE GED and KRH because I need the freq/course data.
I may find it with SkyVector.
Trev, I tried to popup shift-5 to bring the Connie Map and I am in the dark with that. I will check the Connie manual for the Map to translate.
So, 2 flight down! Uff! not good day for me (lol).
I will have to try more times with different waypoints making sure the selected ones have Hex-Square "icon" present. I think I am getting good track on this. I don't know NDB but VOR is the way to go first.
I will check Skyvector to find "valid" waypoints for the flight plan looking for what I need. Thanks you gave me a great guidance. I think FPL created from the sim is for kids (lol) not sure yet.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

NIE is a VOR - hexagon shape. It does not give distance since it is not a DVOR (DME VOR).
You do not want to go directly from TRA to LSZH since that is where the airport is. You need to line up with the selected runway at least 10nm out at about 3000 ft AGL to put the plane in a good situation for the approach and landing.
NDB is the same as the VOR when using the Dual RMI, you just switch the RMI toggle from VOR to LF (or AFD) to use the NDB signal instead of a VOR signal. Tune the frequency on the overhead panel with the ADF band selectors and frequency tuning handles.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

This is going to be more than interesting.... Wow! I have to go step by step.
I found from SkyVector and this is the flight plan I think may work. I didn't know the last waypoint must be good around 10nm out.
What do you think this plan?
EDDH course 179 - 83nm
SAS 114.45/185 - 100nm
FUL 112.10/200 - 183nm
KRH 115.95/200 - 103nm
TRA 114.30/160 - 15nm
KLO 114.85/160 - 15nm
LSZH

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Thats a good list.
I would only include KLO if I was landing on RWY 28. See pg 72 of the charts link.
Fly TRA to KLO, then outbound on HDG 082 until 016 DME at 6000 ft.
Then right turn to line up IZW 274 109.75 descending to 5000 ft.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 22:11 Thats a good list.
I would only include KLO if I was landing on RWY 28. See pg 72 of the charts link.
Fly TRA to KLO, then outbound on HDG 082 until 016 DME at 6000 ft.
Then right turn to line up IZW 274 109.75 descending to 5000 ft.
Fly TRA to KLO then ..... I don't see the following path from the cart page 72. I must be a bit tired tonight. I need to understand charts.
Tomorrow I will double check on this especially from the page 72. Going to relax and rest. You need to rest as well.
Thanks soooo much! Good night, Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

It sounds like you don't know how to use the course needle. You keep talking about distance from VOR's, but you never talk about course. You also don't ever mention the TO or FROM indication. You ask how you know when to turn and where. This is also the case with the videos I've seen. You reference the distance, but seem to not understand what to do with the course deviation. You'll even dial in a useful course then fail to make any turn to correct and reach the station.

Especially this comment:
It suddenly the counting changed the direction, instead of decreasing the nm number it started increasing. It was 30 nm remaining distance and when it started increasing the nm distance I had to stop the flight and video.
My estimation is that you missed the VOR. It passed 30nm off your wing, and the distance started increasing as the station passed further behind.

You perform the steps correctly in the later videos you post. 1-tune the station 2-identify the station 3-use the station. Seems the work needed is with point 3.
For clarification, DVOR means Doppler VOR, not VORDME. If you're only using the distance information but not the course you're not actually using a VOR, you're using the DME equipment located at the same location (DME, VORDME, VORTAC, TACAN etc..)

This is still pretty basic stuff, and there's a mountain of more knowledge about propliners... but it requires an understanding of these concepts first. I suggest you refly the FSX Lessons, and read the briefings that are included. They will teach you many of the concepts in a C172 that will help with the Constellation (and B-377, and DC-6).

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi FlapMan, Good sight on what you found with my flight practices and yes I need to learn more. But, does it necessarily I have to go back on FSX lessons if I only needs to learn a few things like VOR to VOR? I learned the missed waypoint was because I did FPL wrong inserting a non-working VOR. I learned the good VOR has a hexagon and a square icon. I selected a waypoint with only a square icon. So, I missed the flight because I selected a DME and not a VOR right?
Regarding on the use of the course needle, it is by looking at the Dual RMI Gauge first. I was checking in that Dual RMI Gauge that the course was positioned on the middle telling me the direction of the plane flying. If I change the course the plane goes in that new direction.
The TO or FROM looking at the Omni Bearing ILS Gauge is something I need to learn because I am not using GPS. But I expect to see the Horizontal Localizer beam aligned on the center and the Vertical Glide Slope settled. This is something I need to learn too.
Thanks a punch for your comments and help.
Addendum: When I have a chance I will get back to FSX Flying School to learn more.
Pat
Last edited by trisho0 on 05 Aug 2020, 18:25, edited 2 times in total.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Looks like the SAS navaid in Skyveector is called DLE 115.2 in the sim. Remember, the nav data in the sim (pre P3Dv5) is 10+ years old and things change over time.
This is why a flight planner like PlanG which uses information directly from the sim is maybe better for flight planning and getting frequencies.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 17:59 Looks like the SAS navaid in Skyveector is called DLE 115.2 in the sim. Remember, the nav data in the sim (pre P3Dv5) is 10+ years old and things change over time.
This is why a flight planner like PlanG which uses information directly from the sim is maybe better for flight planning and getting frequencies.
I checked from SkyVector and I found SAS is SARSTEDT and also is DLE same spot. I learned PlanG is slow. So, instead of SkyVector and PlanG I can get back to making FPL directly from the sim but not always I get frequency. Maybe because sim gives DME and not VOR?

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Why do you think PlanG is slow? Many people use it.
Cheers
Trev

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

I've updated my navigation aids within FSX, and I also show DLE as the only VORDME in the area.
Checking my professional navigation software, it shows both DLE and SAS as VORDME stations. They're 245ft apart. Skyvector shows an NDB with the same identifier as DLE VORDME but in a slightly different location compared to SAS. Skyvector also shows a waypoint with the name DLE in the same location, but no DLE VORDME.
I also prefer Skyvector unless I'm planning modern day jet transport flights, then I use PFPX.

Sometimes the navaids don't work. Usually a quick glance at the map within the sim will reveal a frequency change or a problem that will require a reroute. Not a big deal for me, the easier way would be to use the simulator's flight planning functions but I usually avoid it now.

No matter what, you have to use the stations that actually exist within your simulator.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”