radios

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
maddz
Senior Airman

Re: radios

Post by maddz »

The switch would make sense if the APU was on-board the aircraft.

As it’s outside, it kinda eliminates the need for a switch. Now we just have a LED telling us the rampy has connected the GPU to the aircraft and power gauge to tell the power output. Haven’t looked a real FE panel but maybe A2A removed the switch to keep it authentic. I’d be happy either way though :)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Last update for FSX was :- 02_04_19
I set the aircraft in cold/dark then activated the FE and waited till the FE announced all set , then noticed GPU was not on , i did not wait for batt to go flat , i opened shift+3 and hit the GPU button.
Had i not done that the batt would drain and all systems would die , weather that would prevent GPU coming on after that i dont know , at a guess i would think you would have to either resect aircraft or restart sim to get the battery reset.
regards alan. 8)

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

It looks like maybe the real thing has a switch there. It would make sense that there is a way to electrically connect and disconnect ground power from inside the aircraft. I can't really make out all the letters next to what looks like it may be a switch, but I suspect the GP stands for ground power.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Maddz.
All the aircraft i worked on , the flightdeck always had a switch or switches to turn the GPU power on and off on the aircraft , this is done to prevent arcing across the GPU power plug .
regards alan. 8)

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 00:43 Hi trisho0.
The connie will not fly the ILS beam , it is for you the pilot to follow the indicator beam , all you do , is set the ILS freq in the nav1 or 2 on the center ped below the coms radios , then on pilots/copilots panels , depending which seat you are flying from there is a switch below the omni gauge marked 1 / 2 if ILS tuned to 1 then select 1 on the switch if ILS tuned to 2 then put switch in 2 , then YOU fly the beam to keep it as centered as you can.
Manual page 113 items 10 and 14 for pilots panel
page 115 items 16 for nav ILS freq
page117 items 9 and 14 co-pilots panel
Engine start sequence on the connie depends on cabin temp , if in career mode you have to look at cabin temp , if too cold , you need to run eng 1 or 4 or both to warm the cabin BEFORE pax board aircraft , but normal start sequence is 3,4, disconnect ground power then 2,1 reason for disconnecting GPU before starting 2,1 is ground crew safty , look where it is in relation to prop on eng 2.
regards alan. 8)
I will have to learn how to follow ILS beam by looking at. I can identify the gauge but I don't know how it works. I can see tangent lines and sometimes 2 of them.
Regarding on the Omni Gauge marked 1 / 2 do you mean NAV1 and NAV2 or where is that SW?

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 08:24 Hi Aviationatwar.
Dont tell me , its a covid19 shortage , some people will nick anything if you let em. :lol:
I wonder when that was taken out and why!!!!. :roll:
regards alan. 8)
I prefer the GPU switch located as it was in real Connie even I am OK with GPU outside.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi trisho0.
If you read my post at the same time as looking in the A2A manual , i listed the page number and gauge and switch number , so you would know exactly the one i ment.
On the omni gauge , the vertical line tells you if left/right of beam , horizontal line tells you if you are above or below glide slope , is as simple as that , you fly TOO the beam.
The switch nav 1 or 2 is to select the nav that has the ILS freq tuned in to for the ILS you are on.
regards alan. 8)

maddz
Senior Airman

Post by maddz »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 08:46 Hi.
Last update for FSX was :- 02_04_19
I set the aircraft in cold/dark then activated the FE and waited till the FE announced all set , then noticed GPU was not on , i did not wait for batt to go flat , i opened shift+3 and hit the GPU button.
Had i not done that the batt would drain and all systems would die , weather that would prevent GPU coming on after that i dont know , at a guess i would think you would have to either resect aircraft or restart sim to get the battery reset.
regards alan. 8)
Alan, you need to be having a word with your FE. If he doesnt improve i would put him in/on furlough... :mrgreen:
(Ps if your BATT dies completely, switching the GPU on will give you full power again without needing to restart)

Video to show you : https://youtu.be/3IfeXROHHhM

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 10:03 Hi trisho0.
If you read my post at the same time as looking in the A2A manual , i listed the page number and gauge and switch number , so you would know exactly the one i ment.
On the omni gauge , the vertical line tells you if left/right of beam , horizontal line tells you if you are above or below glide slope , is as simple as that , you fly TOO the beam.
The switch nav 1 or 2 is to select the nav that has the ILS freq tuned in to for the ILS you are on.
regards alan. 8)
I found page 113 and the Omni Gauge but the SW is VOR Selector. From OMNI Gauge all I see is axis lines but they tell me OFF both lines. So, nothing to follow.
I know something I am missing. I will go back to work with VOR Selector. My flight plan is EGLL Departure - EGCC Arrival. I found the info CRS=053 and ILS=113.55 so, I enter 113.55 in the Pedestal NAV1 and 053 in OmniBearing gauge.
I activate NAV1 from Radio Switches. I will give a try with that switch VOR Selector. I think the VOR switch was always in position 1. I must to see from the Omni Gauge an active axis guide lines in order to follow that.
Thanks soooo much! Alan ....

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

maddz wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 11:03Alan, you need to be having a word with your FE. If he doesnt improve i would put him in/on furlough... :mrgreen:
(Ps if your BATT dies completely, switching the GPU on will give you full power again without needing to restart)
Thanks maddz. This is how I remember it.

Hook

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi trisho0.
You need to put the ILS freq into either vor 1 or 2 on the isle stand below the coms units , it does not mater which vor you put it in , if ILS freq in vor 2 then select vor 2 on the switch if freq dialed into vor 1 then put vor switch to 1 , the off flags will clear once you are in range and the bars will start to move.
regards alan. 8)

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

AviationAtWar wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 15:52
MkIV Hvd wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 15:38 not a bomber command guy :wink:
We're gonna have to work on that!
Hook wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 16:47
MkIV Hvd wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 15:38I do not have the Connie and I'm not likely to get it...not a bomber command guy :wink:
You'd be surprised at how good the Connie is.

Hook
Thanks for your optimism guys! For sure, I would not be surprised…it’s A2A after all, so “good” to the highest level is just expected!!

I have no interest in flying fussy passenger loads…been there done that for real… but I’ll be all over Bomber Command just as soon as the B-25 or Lewis’ Lancaster is ready… :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Do you have the B-17? That's your best bet if you don't want to deal with passengers.

You can also load the Connie with just cargo.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

AviationAtWar wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 12:32 Do you have the B-17? That's your best bet if you don't want to deal with passengers.

You can also load the Connie with just cargo.
Thanks...but then again it's maybe just a crew that I don't want to have to deal with hahaha!
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Crew: You have a flight engineer who keeps track of the fiddly bits, and a hostess who serves meals. Always fun to see what they serve.

Edit to add: On the Manfred Jahn C-47 you have a copilot who sings and a hostess who doesn't serve meals but brings you coffee.

Hook
Last edited by Hook on 05 Apr 2020, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”