Turning on the ground

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Turning on the ground

Post by MarcE »

Is it me or does the aircraft tend to push over the nosewheel when I try to turn on the ground?

Even with full deflection it's really hard to make a sharp turn, for example to turn around 180 degrees. Shouldn't the rubber of the nose gear have enough friction to make a turn as the angle of the wheel assumes at walking speed? It seems that the engines are so powerfull the aircraft just ignores the deflection.

Greets,
Marc

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Re: Turning on the ground

Post by flapman »

If you're trying to make sharp turns, then only throttle up the 2 engines on the outside of the turn, leave the inside ones at 1,000 RPM. I had the same issue as you, and this solved it. It does seem to overpower the nosewheel if you rev all engines.

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by speedy70 »

You should have a little straight forward movement before turning the front wheels nearly 90 degrees.

Cheers Chris

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I'm not sure on the real airplane, but even with the slanted tire, if you have too much power on, it would make sense to "push" the nose instead of turn it and scrub the tire. You've got to have momentum before starting the turn and help it with differential power when you're making a really tight turn, just as you would with a real plane.

Also, remember that FSX's ground friction is really wonky. No matter what they do, sidewall strength isn't well simulated so you're much more likely to skid than with a real airplane.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

yup, I was rolling on the taxiway after I had landed in St Maarten (I missed the 180 due to a strong headwind and a touch down speed of 50 knots GS or someting ^^) and had my engines just cracked that they wouldn't shut down and I nearly couldn't make any 90° turn as the aircraft just didn't turn WITH the wheel. When you compare it to the turning tendencies and reaction to both Pipers (also compared visually) it SEEMS as the Connie was programmed to turn the standard FSX-way, as you say, CAPflyer, while the Pipers got some more attention to this behaviour. That's NO complaint, please don't get this wrong. I can imagine how much work the Connie was without the taxi stuff xD but it LOOKS like there is something missing.. ^^ The movement just doesn't match the visual deflection. and yes, for sure, it's hard to taxi with a single throttle.. But that's my laziness to click around on the shift-8 panel.

Greets,
Marc

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

I'm not sure on the real airplane
On youtube clips, that are god-given of course and have to apply to every situation that appears ;) you see the Super Connies turn just as the wheel looks. 8) witch in my opinion would make sense, as you can compare the Connie at MTOW to an empty 737 that will do her turns too =) just 2 tires in the front..

Wells
Airman Basic

Post by Wells »

It looks like the nose wheel steering angle is set to 20 degrees in the config file. I find that this is barely adequate for following taxi lines with full rudder input. On the real airplane, the nose wheel was steerable to 47 degrees either side. You could try and change that in the config file. Given the geometry of the landing gear, an angle of 65 degrees would be appropriate for castoring, where you could pivot around the main wheels, with the aid of brakes, for example.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

yes I could... But the "problem" with accusim is, that when you change your steering angle you might change Bettys hair style as well... and.. Since I have no idea about the accusim coding, I better be the dumb and unknowing customer asking questions :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DMdoc
Airman

Post by DMdoc »

MarcE: It's been a while since the last response to your question, but here's what I've done to help with turning on the ground. Be sure to turn while taxi'ing at low speed.

1) In the aircraft.cfg file, find the [contact_points] section.
2) "rem" (inactivate) the line for point.0 with // (so you'll have a backup of the original version)
3) copy the remmed info to another point.0
4) change the 8th value in your new point.0 from 20 to 47 (I chose 47 as suggested by Wells in his reply, above).
That's it. (BTW, you can make similar changes for other aircraft if you want to...)

Here's the way mine looks:

// ++++ 26may2019 changed value 8 from 20 to 47 per viewtopic.php?f=134&t=57346
//point.0 = 1, 30.43, -1.3, -11.90, 4000, 0, 1.367, 20, 0.75, 2.5, 0.98, 3, 8, 0, 200, 200
point.0 = 1, 30.43, -1.3, -11.90, 4000, 0, 1.367, 47, 0.75, 2.5, 0.98, 3, 8, 0, 200, 200

Hope this helps!

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I can see on this thread the point.0 = line, 8th value from [Contact_Points] from the Aircraft.cfg file, changed from 20 to 47

The following list tell us the value 20 was only for A2A Connie and the default is 52.

PMDG 747 = 70
PMDG 777 = 70
PMDG 737 = 75
PMDG DC6 = 60
CS-737 = 65
A2A 172 = 35
Tristar L1011 = 78
L-049 default = 52
A2A Connie = 20
iFly 737 = 75
B737 default = 55.92
B747 default = 70

These are only some of the aircraft to mention here and I don't think if other aircraft like Connie has the 8th value as 20.

So, it has to be for Connie a value of 47, 52 or 60. The original value of 20 too low? Otherwise, even Taxiing at speed max to 15 still the needs to do sudden brakes before applying Differential Brakes for turnings.
I think 47 is the correct one so far or leave it at default 52.
Pat

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Tech Support”