Anemic performance

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Anemic performance

Post by Mickel »

Hi Team

After many, many months away, I've dragged the Connie out on to the flight line again. Previously just use to fly her and not taking too much notice of what performance I was getting. On the last flight I had an announcement about an emergency that was under control, then a bit later 2ic saying we really should land now... presumably low fuel.

So this time I pulled out the manual, shock horror...
~72,500lbs TOW, out of Rome to Amsterdam.
Planned the flight in PFPX
Set remaining fuel at 2,000lbs. Had 11,750lbs required at release. Loaded 12,500, just in case.

I just cannot get the numbers out of her.
If I aim for 161kts climbing at 145 BMEP I get maybe 200ft/m at lower altitudes. The fuel burn is ~850lbs/hr. Took 70 minutes to reach 16k'. Maintained 2300rpm/145 BMEP. Can squeeze 500'/min at 145-150IAS.
Once in the cruise, setting 1960rpm and ~132 BMEP I get 138IAS on a good day. The manual says I should be getting low 180s. I wondered if I was behind the power curve, so wound it up to 2350rpm/145 BMEP for a bit. Couldn't get through 160IAS. The OAT is a reasonable -17°C/. Fuel flow is about as per the manual for the cruise power.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Anemic performance

Post by ratty »

The best I can come up with is that it's possible you have spoilers deployed. The ?/ key deploys (non-existent) spoilers that will adversely affect your climb and knock more than 40 knots off your cruise speed. Unscrupulous fliers have been known to use this "feature" to help slow down in descent.

As far as I know, the only way to test this is to try tapping the key in climb or cruise and see if it makes a difference.

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Re: Anemic performance

Post by Mickel »

The old hidden spoilers trick…

That fixed it. Now there is half a chance I will land with fuel to spare, and not an hour late…

Thanks Ratty!
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”