autopilot and elevator trim

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

autopilot and elevator trim

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

I have a question concerning the interaction of elevator trim an the elev channel of autopilot.

After T/O with elev trim set to 5° up I go into climb phase and want to switch on the elevator channel of the autopilot. At this point I don't have a neutral elev trim setting for sure. No problem activiating the autopilot elev channel at all but for the further climb phase should I neutralize elev trim gradually to 0° and counteracting with the elev channel for holding the climb?
And when established in the cruise phase should the elev channel of the autopilot be turned of temporarily to trim out the plane by hand before turning it on again? My conception is that the autopilot permanently has to fight against the not optimal set elevator trim. Maybe I'm wrong.
Page 129 of the manual gives some information but it's not quite clear to me.

By the way (has nothing to do with my first question above) the manual states to turn off the elev and rudder booster emergency control switches to off for climb. Does the mean that for automatic flight the hydraulic boosters are set to off because the autopilot has it's "own" hydraulic power? And why not to switch off the ailerons?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”