Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Engine RPM mismatch after startup

Post by TreeTops »

I try to interact with the cockpit as much as possible and only use pop-ups where necessary.
I have TrackIR and EzDOK for looking around and have views set up how I need them to operate the plane.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I am looking on where is the Connie NAV switch so I can use the GPS device. Actually I am using the Radios activated via Shift+6 to use NAV.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

You have the avionics switch on the back wall next to the door at the navigator's position.
Are you using the default GPS or one of the 3rd party versions?
To use the GPS are a nav source, you need to select GPS on the CDI button on the GPS, or the NAV/GPS switch next to the GPS, depending on which GPS you are using.
Cheers
Trev

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi trisho0.
I always use the built in sperry autopilot , and that means i have to change couse , and trim the aircraft constantly , in order to follow a flight plan .
In order to follow the flight plan you need the 2d popup autopilot , which can be selected in the shift+3 popup top section righthand side 3 button down , as well as the GPS , i tend to use the GPS for heading bearings to dail in , and the map for the plan .
As for the radio`s i always use the overhead radio`s for tuning the ADF`s and the center ped for the VOR`s , and sometimes my saitek radio panel , useing these you can tune two different VOR`s and ADF`s then use the switchs on the pilots panel to go from vor/adf 1 and 2 , as you pass the first vor / adf on route flick switch from 1to 2 , then retune 1 to next freq as you pass the 2nd switch back to 1 for next freq and retune 2 , and so on till journeys end .
i find that easy because i have trackIR , so i can look around the VC in a normal manner , hat switch for head movement i find to slow and jerky , the trackIR when i first got it , made me feel queasy , and 10 min was my limit , but once i got used to it , i wonder how i ever managed without it , it is a game changer big style.
regards alan. 8)

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 23:40 You have the avionics switch on the back wall next to the door at the navigator's position.
Are you using the default GPS or one of the 3rd party versions?
To use the GPS are a nav source, you need to select GPS on the CDI button on the GPS, or the NAV/GPS switch next to the GPS, depending on which GPS you are using.
Navigator position or engineer pos?
I have only one Avionics switch on the wall near the FE Panel and I guess that is not NAV.
I am using the default GPS which it has a NAV/GPS switch. I activate that switch to GPS on airborne following with NAV bottom of Radios dialog box (Shift+6).
A few days ago, I purchased from Flight 1 site the GPS 430-530 and I gave up because too small display and yes I saw the CDI. But still I have to hit NAV from the Radios dialog box otherwise Connie will follow the magenta from the GPS display.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

The avionics switch next to the back wall fire extinguisher at the navigator's position switches all the nav equipment on. It has nothing to do with switching between GPS and instrument guidance.
If you want guidance from the GPS, you will have the NAV/GPS switch (next to the GPS for the 430) set to GPS, otherwise you will have it set to NAV which will send instrument guidance to the autopilot (VOR, ILS, NDB).

The smaller screen of the 430 and 650 GPS's can be used, not as map based like the larger 530/750, but to show cross track position, distance to go, speed etc. It seems like you took one look at the 430 and gave up, when its actually a very GPS.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 17:20 The avionics switch next to the back wall fire extinguisher at the navigator's position switches all the nav equipment on. It has nothing to do with switching between GPS and instrument guidance.
If you want guidance from the GPS, you will have the NAV/GPS switch (next to the GPS for the 430) set to GPS, otherwise you will have it set to NAV which will send instrument guidance to the autopilot (VOR, ILS, NDB).

The smaller screen of the 430 and 650 GPS's can be used, not as map based like the larger 530/750, but to show cross track position, distance to go, speed etc. It seems like you took one look at the 430 and gave up, when its actually a very GPS.
The only NAV switches I can see are located on the left side of the captain seat just below the lights switches. Those NAV switches are NAV1 and NAV2. Instead of using one of those NAV switches I used to hit NAV from the Radios Shift+6. Am I missing the NAV switches you mentioned? From Cold and Dark I used to hit Battery and the Avionics which is not NAV I am looking at.
I will give another chance for the payware GPS 430 (lol) and using for a while to see what I get. The GPS default will mark "INOP" over the NAV/GPS switch. So, I will have to use CDI from GNS430 and to use NAV1 with my ears tapped. The Connie NAV1 and NAV2 after detecting the frequency it sends a Morse beeps sound (annoying).
I will see what happen ...

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Those Nav switches are for the audio on/off to identify a nav source. These switches will shut off the morse code you are hearing. Manual pg 115 item 20.
I think its time you sat down in the cockpit and went through the manual and learnt about every switch. If you dont know how to use a switch we are here to help, but asking where to find switches multiple times is being a bit lazy.
Set the Nav1 frquency in the GPS 430, which is the same as setting it in the SHIFT 6 popup
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 18:56 Those Nav switches are for the audio on/off to identify a nav source. These switches will shut off the morse code you are hearing. Manual pg 115 item 20.
I think its time you sat down in the cockpit and went through the manual and learnt about every switch. If you dont know how to use a switch we are here to help, but asking where to find switches multiple times is being a bit lazy.
Set the Nav1 frquency in the GPS 430, which is the same as setting it in the SHIFT 6 popup
Now I am little confused, I will proceed ... many thanks ...

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

What are you confused about?
Do you know how to use the GNS430? ie entering NAV frequencies?
Do you know how to navigate using VOR and NDB and the required switches and instruments/GPS?

I dont want you confused, I want you to read the manual and based off your findings in the manual, ask further questions if necessary.
The aim is to get you up in the air in the amazing Connie.
:)
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 19:37 What are you confused about?
Do you know how to use the GNS430? ie entering NAV frequencies?
Do you know how to navigate using VOR and NDB and the required switches and instruments/GPS?

I dont want you confused, I want you to read the manual and based off your findings in the manual, ask further questions if necessary.
The aim is to get you up in the air in the amazing Connie.
:)
Honestly I will have to learn the use of the GNS430 because all I can do is loading the Flight Plan and using the GPS 400 default. I enter the frequency on the NAV1 and NAV2 dialers located on the Pedestal and entering the Course in the Onmibearing. If I have more than one waypoint then I use VOR1 and VOR2 so each VOR position will store the frequency/course and on the flight I change VOR's accordingly. This is what I was practicing lately.
Flight Plan TKPK-TNCM has no frequency entered, no info, only GPS400 and NAV activated with Shift+6.
Flight Plan KVCV-KLAS has more info:
Waypoint HEC 112.70/062
Waypoint LAS 116.90/026
KLAS approach course 071 and landing.
I know this is a very elemental way to use navigation and I should learn more to put in practice.
I spent an hour or so trying to figure the GNS430 setup and I never saw the magenta line so obviously my flight didn't have a destiny. I will read GNS430 manual. Connie loves to fly but she didn't obey me this time (lol).

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Ok, now we have established your level of knowledge with the GPS and navigation it makes things clearer.
There are plenty of utube videos of the GNS430 to look at. The GPS is normally designated as the Com1/Nav1, and you can set Com2/Nav2 on the center pedestal as you already have been.
Using both Nav1 and Nav2 are great for hopping from one VOR to the next.
Most autopilots require the Nav1 to be sending signal to the GPS, so thats something to keep in mind when the time comes to couple the autopilot to the GPS flight plan.

Do you use a flight planner to figure out your flights? PlanG? Skyvector? There are others but these 2 are the free ones I use.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi TreeTops,
I was reading the GNS430 bundled with GNS530 manual but I feel not ready to continue with it yet. I learned the GNS430 doesn't work with the flight plan I created with the sim. With GNS430 or 530 I must to create the Flight Plan directly as per the manual instructions. So, I have plan to stop GNS430 for now and continuing with the default GPS400. I should be able to continuing learning with. When I have more experience said in couple of month then I will, indeed. I really appreciate your directions and helping me on this. Others can learn also from this thread as well.
I use Simbrief Flight Planner but I only get waypoints with no frequency/course. I used the Simbrief flight plan to fly ILS with PMDG 737, 747 and 777. I found PMDG is for kids (with respect) easy straight landings. FMC fly the bird and GPS I fly (lol) well, trying with. I think I can follow Connie procedures with practice watching more on what the engineer does. I learned more about. I need more with GPS and navigation procedures than handling the plane I guess.
I don't understand SkyVector and I never saw PlanG. I think SkyVector is the door.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

skyvector.com

Right click on any point and select from the popup list the airport, Nav Aid or Co-ordinate. ie KVCV.
Right click on KLAS and select the airport.
Then you can drag the magenta line onto intermediate points such as HEC.
Right click on an airport and then mousing over the airport text pops up a list of airport procedure charts which are handy.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 22:34 skyvector.com

Right click on any point and select from the popup list the airport, Nav Aid or Co-ordinate. ie KVCV.
Right click on KLAS and select the airport.
Then you can drag the magenta line onto intermediate points such as HEC.
Right click on an airport and then mousing over the airport text pops up a list of airport procedure charts which are handy.
I found PlanG from UK. I had to become a member first. Downloaded PlanG to install.
I am going first to give a try on Skyvector later, I am sure I will get it.
Rest well, see later .....Thanks so much

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”