Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 20:53 I did find an IFR departure for UDSG. To vastly simplify it for Pat, you need to already be at 13,000ft by the time you reach GRM. The Minimum Safe Altitude for your flight plan is 14,500ft.
I think in less than 2nm Connie will not be able to climb 8,000 ft. Is it possible?
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 21:13I think in less than 2nm Connie will not be able to climb 8,000 ft. Is it possible?
I didn't choose the airports, you did.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 19:23 Yes this all correct. You will select VOR1 (ILS settings) when you fly around the 13.9 DME arc at about 140 deg from TBS and then intercept the ILS localiser and glide slope. You know how to do this part.
OK I followed as instructed and this is what I got (screenshot). I think I should turn right after passing NA. Turning right at TBS DME 15 is too early.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 21:20
trisho0 wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 21:13I think in less than 2nm Connie will not be able to climb 8,000 ft. Is it possible?
I didn't choose the airports, you did.
Of course, I am intended a success very soon. I don't need to be at 13,000 ft altitude in GRM, plenty ground space around and ahead.
Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

When TBS DME 15 right turn and follow the arc maintaining TBS DME 13.9 around to about 140 deg from TBS.
Then right turn (should have been left turn. My mistake) onto the ILS and follow that into to the runway.

** Perhaps you were confused with the 'right turn' error.
If you look on the chart you can see the 13.9 DME arc you should follow around to the ILS 31.

Looking at your PlanG track, you are still not flying the GRM - TBS leg on track. You should be seeing the deviation to the left in the localiser/range indicator.
It looks like you are flying 4-5 nm off to the right of the track.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 23:14 When TBS DME 15 right turn and follow the arc maintaining TBS DME 13.9 around to about 140 deg from TBS.
Then right turn (should have been left turn. My mistake) onto the ILS and follow that into to the runway.

** Perhaps you were confused with the 'right turn' error.
If you look on the chart you can see the 13.9 DME arc you should follow around to the ILS 31.

Looking at your PlanG track, you are still not flying the GRM - TBS leg on track. You should be seeing the deviation to the left in the localiser/range indicator.
It looks like you are flying 4-5 nm off to the right of the track.
OK I will repeat the flight and follow the left turn as you corrected.
About the Plan-G, I flew straight to GRM and after 4 to 5 nm yes I turned to the left to be on Course 038 and I stayed on the way. Should I keep turning to the left until the Omnibearing gauge shows the LOC centered and then go back to course 038?. I kept Course 038 instead. What do you say?
Getting late tonight, rest well.
See later.
Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Yes. It looks like you kept heading 038 instead of course 038. Heading can be in the same direction but anywhere left or right. Course is maintaining a position over a line between 2 navaids.

You do not seem to follow my instructions very well. On takeoff, maintain 199 runway heading for 5nm and then left turn back towards GRM. It seems you took off and flew directly to GRM and then 5nm past before a left turn.
It is not important to fly directly over GRM, only that you intersect the leg between GRM-TBS and fly that course.
Tip : Everytime before you take off, take a moment to think about what you are going to do for the next 5 minutes.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 08 Nov 2020, 23:45 Yes. It looks like you kept heading 038 instead of course 038. Heading can be in the same direction but anywhere left or right. Course is maintaining a position over a line between 2 navaids.
======>>> Heading and Course are not the same meaning? I want to make sure about.

You do not seem to follow my instructions very well. On takeoff, maintain 199 runway heading for 5nm and then left turn back towards GRM. It seems you took off and flew directly to GRM and then 5nm past before a left turn.
======>>> I did takeoff straight from the runway and I had GRM at front. Do you want me to leave the Omnibearing Magnetic bearing at 199? The course will be 038 towards to NA.

It is not important to fly directly over GRM, only that you intersect the leg between GRM-TBS and fly that course.
Tip : Everytime before you take off, take a moment to think about what you are going to do for the next 5 minutes.
======>>> I have my notes to follow that. Five minutes, too much. (lol)
Going back to sleep ....
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I flew UDSG-UGTB and the trip was little tricky on the way but landed as expected. I will polish this flight to get it better as butter fly.
Screenshots for analysis. I have the video to upload if needed.

Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Pat,
This is the flight path you should be flying. I gave you a link to the airport chart earlier and you don't appear to have looked at it.
Notice how the red line gets back onto the GRM-TBS leg soon after GRM and maintains position all the way until turning right to perform the 13.9 DME arc around to the 31L ILS.
There is no waypoint 'NA' , only the leg, direct from GRM to TBS.
This ensures any terrain to the left or right of the flight plan does not interfere with the aircraft.

In this situation, if there was concern about not getting high enough to clear the mountain rainge, a hold would be performed at GRM to enable a climb in safe airspace before continuing on toward TBS.

Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 02:06 Pat,
This is the flight path you should be flying. I gave you a link to the airport chart earlier and you don't appear to have looked at it.
Notice how the red line gets back onto the GRM-TBS leg soon after GRM and maintains position all the way until turning right to perform the 13.9 DME arc around to the 31L ILS.
There is no waypoint 'NA' , only the leg, direct from GRM to TBS.
This ensures any terrain to the left or right of the flight plan does not interfere with the aircraft.

In this situation, if there was concern about not getting high enough to clear the mountain rainge, a hold would be performed at GRM to enable a climb in safe airspace before continuing on toward TBS.
I will fly again following the track you lined in red. But, I thought not necessarily I have to be on the same black line traced by Plan-G. Such black line is only a reference connection between airports, I guess?
I don't need NA NDB navaids. I tune ILS 31L/108.9 and Course 312

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Every IFR (instrument flight rules) flight requires the plane to be exactly on a pre-planned flight path. That means departure, flying between navaids, approach and landing, a go around plan and alternate destinations if required.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 14:04 Every IFR (instrument flight rules) flight requires the plane to be exactly on a pre-planned flight path. That means departure, flying between navaids, approach and landing, a go around plan and alternate destinations if required.
I think I knew that otherwise no flight plan from Plan-G is created. OK, I just ended another flight with your instructions and this is what I got. I need to redo this flight because I didn't calculate when to turn left and for how far to stay before to do another left to ILS. I think I was instructed to do one Left instead of two (lol).

Video can be uploaded ...

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Much better flight track.
Here is what you do for the approach to UGTB.
Allow about 1nm to turn right 90 degrees. So the chart says to follow the 13.9 DME TBS arc. So at about 15 DME TBS begin the righthand turn to 128 deg (038+90).
Now watch the DME slowly increase to 14.5 nm and then turn left 20 deg. Watch the DME descrease and then increase as you cut the corner of the arc. Repeat the 20 deg left turn everytime the DME gets to 14.5 nm. You will need to do this about 4 times to fly around the arc towards the start of the ILS.
When the compass heading comes around to about 040 deg, change the selector to the VOR you have the ILS setup on and begin a left turn 45-60 deg to intercept the ILS localiser.

As for alitude:
Aim for 6700 ft minimum at 15 DME TBS.
When flying around the arc descend to 4500 ft but not below.
Once established on the ILS follow the glideslope.

Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 16:29 Much better flight track.
Here is what you do for the approach to UGTB.
Allow about 1nm to turn right 90 degrees. So the chart says to follow the 13.9 DME TBS arc. So at about 15 DME TBS begin the righthand turn to 128 deg (038+90).
Now watch the DME slowly increase to 14.5 nm and then turn left 20 deg. Watch the DME descrease and then increase as you cut the corner of the arc. Repeat the 20 deg left turn everytime the DME gets to 14.5 nm. You will need to do this about 4 times to fly around the arc towards the start of the ILS.
When the compass heading comes around to about 040 deg, change the selector to the VOR you have the ILS setup on and begin a left turn 45-60 deg to intercept the ILS localiser.

As for alitude:
Aim for 6700 ft minimum at 15 DME TBS.
When flying around the arc descend to 4500 ft but not below.
Once established on the ILS follow the glideslope.

MasterTrev, That's is exactly as I do with Toncontin, Honduras. UGTB is not that dangerous landing. I flew and my turns were R=128; L=038 and last L=312? but it was very late for me to do turns you can see image here.

I wait for your next analysis before I start the flight.
Pat

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”