Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Engine RPM mismatch after startup

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi trisho0.
I use skyvector , it is meant for real pilots , so be warned , DONT save flight plans in it , use it to plan your routes is ok but dont save them , or you could face prosecution from the likes of the FAA .
Also , a lot of people are using a freeware called , little nav map , i dont use this myself , but the guys i know in the 91st bombardment group prefer this to plan G , i found plan G was so slow i could not use it.
Also , when you have a route in FSX/P3D , dont forget you can look in the sims map for any freq you need on route , and also in the connie you can get freq to show by clicking on the map selector buttons to cycle through the options.
regards alan. 8)

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi Alan,
That's weird, Skyvector is the door directly to the jail (lol). I will take care of not saving FPL's. Thanks for the advice. I am checking Skyvector and since I am a member I can find my needs. I think I will have a punch of paper notes on my desk down the road (lol). But I am sure will be very useful. Thanks again.

EDIT: I am Skyvector member from some time ago, don't remember. I used Skyvector in the past only once. I found I have 1 saved flight plan. How to delete that FPL I can't find that option. Today I was trying to cancel the Skyvector account but afraid do not be a member anymore because of the same mail address is in their system. So, I will stay with the account up.
EDIT: President & Ceo of Skyvector said the flight plan disappears after 5 days ETD.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Today tried again with FPL TKPK-TNCM using the GPS default. Before, on airborne I switched the GPS NAV/GPS to gps and NAV with Shift+6. Happy journey and landed.
This time I didn't use shift+6 popup so I didn't select NAV but I was be able to use the Autopilot levers from the central pedestal. I didn't need the AP and Altitude from shift+6. Instead, I was doing trim a bit and controlling the speed with Throttle levers to keep the altitude steady. But Connie didn't follow the magenta from the GPS because obviously no NAV has been activated. So, to activate NAV is via shift+6 only. I found if I use shift-6 NAV the Autopilot becomes active from the same popup. The Autopilot stuff from the central pedestal won't move unless I deactivate the AP from popup (shift+6).
If I deactivate AP from the popup shift+6 then NAV becomes off.

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Yes, the pedestal autopilot doesn't have the ability to couple to any NAV source. It also can't capture an altitude. Just as the Constellation was originally equipped.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 16:37 Yes, the pedestal autopilot doesn't have the ability to couple to any NAV source. It also can't capture an altitude. Just as the Constellation was originally equipped.
So, how do you handle Connie if no NAV switch? Do you use the GPS default that came with the plane?

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

If you want to couple to the magenta line in the GPS you need to you the default GPS.
I never use that GPS and stick to the Sperry, using ground based navaids or Sextant positions in remote areas.
Cheers
Trev

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

It's my understanding that it's OK to save a flight plan for a simulator flight, but you'd better not try to file that plan with the FAA. "Save" is the little disk icon in the top part of the flight plan window. "File" is the Briefing and Filing and an inbox icon on the bottom of the flight plan window. I think it's an inbox, but maybe it's a guillotine...

Seeya
ATB

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 18:04 If you want to couple to the magenta line in the GPS you need to you the default GPS.
I never use that GPS and stick to the Sperry, using ground based navaids or Sextant positions in remote areas.
I think you fly professionally you know how to fly without GPS. I should say you are a real Pilot and I am glad to follow you. May I ask what is Sperry?
Do you fly with FE engineer or you take care for the FE Panel?

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Paughco wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 18:36 It's my understanding that it's OK to save a flight plan for a simulator flight, but you'd better not try to file that plan with the FAA. "Save" is the little disk icon in the top part of the flight plan window. "File" is the Briefing and Filing and an inbox icon on the bottom of the flight plan window. I think it's an inbox, but maybe it's a guillotine...

Seeya
ATB
Connie uses GPS to follow my saved FPL's. I am learning and that is what I do.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I fly the B377 and Connie without FE. I havent flown the Connie in quite some time, as I was relearning the B377 after 2 years away from flight simming. Now I am trying to get into the PMDG DC-6 without the Automatic Flight Engineer (AFE)
I dont have a pilots licence but I have been simming for 10 years and studied/practiced a lot.
The Sperry autopilot in the Connie is the panel in front of the throttles and the clutches on the left on the center pedestal.
I saw your other post about the Sperry. Please keep your questions to either this thread or start a new one. That thread was years old and not really related specifically to the Sperry.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 19:01 I fly the B377 and Connie without FE. I havent flown the Connie in quite some time, as I was relearning the B377 after 2 years away from flight simming. Now I am trying to get into the PMDG DC-6 without the Automatic Flight Engineer (AFE)
I dont have a pilots licence but I have been simming for 10 years and studied/practiced a lot.
The Sperry autopilot in the Connie is the panel in front of the throttles and the clutches on the left on the center pedestal.
I saw your other post about the Sperry. Please keep your questions to either this thread or start a new one. That thread was years old and not really related specifically to the Sperry.
Do you mean B737 plane? I never saw the B377. I will stay here in this thread indeed. I will find Sperry I think it has to be one of the 3 autopilot levers located on the center pedestal.
I will take a look at the panel in front of the Throttles and the clutches, cool. Thanks for your advice and recommendation.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

:D “Sperry” IS the autopilot (or at least the manufacturer of the autopilot!
377 is the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser. A2A developed this several years ago but it has fallen to time and the speed at which Lockeed Martin,and now Microsoft are moving, with new flight sim platforms.

I think it might help if you throw out the notion of a modern autopilot and think in terms of the Sperry being more of a pilot aid. You still need to take action to turn the aircraft to intercept a navaid radial.
I also might suggest you forget about GPS and become comfortable with the Sperry, then using the GPS in conjunction with that may be more intuitive for you.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Jacques wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 19:58 :D “Sperry” IS the autopilot (or at least the manufacturer of the autopilot!
377 is the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser. A2A developed this several years ago but it has fallen to time and the speed at which Lockeed Martin,and now Microsoft are moving, with new flight sim platforms.

I think it might help if you throw out the notion of a modern autopilot and think in terms of the Sperry being more of a pilot aid. You still need to take action to turn the aircraft to intercept a navaid radial.
I also might suggest you forget about GPS and become comfortable with the Sperry, then using the GPS in conjunction with that may be more intuitive for you.
Good idea to stop GPS but I am still learning with Connie. Regarding on Sperry, TreeTops is teaching me about. My next flight will be with Sperry if I get it. Thanks

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

manual pg 129
To learn about the Sperry, get up to a comfortable altitude clear of terrain, trim straight and level, and then look at setting the Sperry.
Before engaging the clutches, ensure the 3 axis are centered and the gyro compass is aligned with the magnetic compass (press the D key).
Then one by one engage each clutch, effectively handing control from the yoke and pedals to the Sperry.
If the Sperry makes a movement off the current situation, the axis is not aligned with the aircraft situation. Disengage the relevant clutch and align the axis before re-engaging the clutch.
If successful you will have the Sperry flying the aircraft straight and level.
Adjustments to the aircraft flight path are now controlled by the 3 axis knobs of the Sperry. Practice a slow climb and level off, then a descent and level off, then turn the plane 30 degrees left and right.
Once you are confident you have control over the Sperry, play around with the Servo Speed knobs to the left of the Sperry. Set them to a high number and repeat the above instructions, and then set to a low number of 1 and do the same manouvers again. Change back to 3 when complete or as desired.
Im not sure if the Sperry still pitches up when instructed to turn as I havent flown it for a while, but you can either dial in a pitch down to compensate, or disengage the pitch clutch during the turn.
Play around with disengaging each of the clutches separately so the Sperry is flying one axis and you are flying the other. ie Sperry pitch/you roll, Sperry roll/you pitch. Fly some manouvers.
Doing this will remove the mystery of the Sperry and you get to know how the Sperry can help you fly the plane.
Cheers
Trev

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Hi Trev, definitely I will put in practice Sperry. You are the Master and honestly I appreciate your guidance. I see lot of Pilots with huge experience with Connie. I will report you my findings with Sperry.
Rest well, Patricio

EDIT: I have only the joystick Gladiator MKII KBsim and I don't have Pedals. Is this a limitation to practice Sperry?

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”