Learning to fly the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Re: Learning to fly the Connie

Post by trisho0 »

Before redo the previous flight I did a Circle plan for another friend of mine testing his artwork scenery of EVLA Liepaja.
On this flight I was distracted in order to see the scenery around to find issues for him.
So, anyway from this flight I am still practicing with Connie and any comments are welcome as well.

EVLA - EVLA (Circle)
EVLA Liepaja rwy 24 ILS 108.55 @ 244

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C6AFwo ... sp=sharing

Probably I didn't do turns on a timely manner.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Did you try using the PAPI lights on that landing?
It was very nicely done.

Here you are, at the moment of touch down.
You are on the center line of the runway.
You are properly configured with gear, flaps, RPM, etc..
You are at the proper speed.
You have a safe vertical speed.
You land on the main landing gear, and not the nose.
You land in the touchdown zone.
You have plenty of runway to safely and comfortably stop.

We were a little high at some points, a little low at others, but it looks like you tried to make corrections to stay on the proper PAPI path. I think it worked. You had a great landing.
trisho0 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 21:38 Probably I didn't do turns on a timely manner.
I think your turns were fine. You flew a nice traffic pattern around the airport.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 20:43 Did you try using the PAPI lights on that landing?
>>> I tried with PAPI on sight as soon as I saw the lights and I am not happy yet. I was expecting 2/2 lights but I was late to pitch up or down a bit to follow lights accordingly.

It was very nicely done.
>>> Do you think so? Nah! ..... you need new glasses (lol)

Here you are, at the moment of touch down.
You are on the center line of the runway.
You are properly configured with gear, flaps, RPM, etc..
You are at the proper speed.
You have a safe vertical speed.
You land on the main landing gear, and not the nose.
You land in the touchdown zone.
You have plenty of runway to safely and comfortably stop.
>>> I think that was accidentally. I will redo the flight, not this Circle but LTBA which still pending (lol).

We were a little high at some points, a little low at others, but it looks like you tried to make corrections to stay on the proper PAPI path. I think it worked. You had a great landing.
>>> PAPI is a good source for me to land as intended. I need to practice more ...
trisho0 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 21:38 Probably I didn't do turns on a timely manner.
I think your turns were fine. You flew a nice traffic pattern around the airport.
>>> After Takeoff from rwy24, heading 244 I should have turned left at 8.3nm and heading to 064 then I should turn at 10.9nm in order to find at the left the heading 244 then to land ILS and finding PAPI. I think Connie was little OK with 2,500 ft altitude. I might need to fine tune this Circle or Traffic Pattern.
Thanks FlapMan for your comments.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 21:16...I should have turned left at 8.3nm...I should turn at 10.9nm
How did you find these two numbers?

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 21:27
trisho0 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 21:16...I should have turned left at 8.3nm...I should turn at 10.9nm
How did you find these two numbers?
My other friend sent me a Chart dated as Sep 10, 2020 but you can see it little older from:

https://lv-vacc.org/CHARTS/EVLA/EV_ADC_ ... 1_1_EN.pdf

It is not actualized. Based on that old Chart I should say ..... turned left at 8.3nm and I should turn at 11.1nm ....
I can pm you the actualized EVLA Chart for your Charts Collection.
Am I looking the Chart wrong way?
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I found PM doesn't have a way to attach a PDF file.
Pat

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Looks like you were following the missed approach on departure which is not correct.

https://www.simfeats.com/flight-simulat ... sid-rwy-24
This is the chart for departures. Fly the "LEP 1G" which loops back to the LEP VOR climbing to 2500ft.

From LEP you then fly to the far side of the hold loop at the point 11.1nm from LEP, then left turn to intercept the RWY24 ILS.
https://www.simfeats.com/flight-simulat ... r-y-rwy-24
Cheers
Trev

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 22:09My other friend sent me a Chart dated as Sep 10, 2020 but you can see it little older from:
Thanks, That explains a lot.
It is not actualized.
Latvia is a nice country for flight simmers. They publish the official procedures freely on their website. I am looking at the latest one dated May 20, 2021.
Am I looking the Chart wrong way?
Trev is of course correct that the instrument departure would be more appropriate here. The tutorial I like tries to make the case that using the missed approach is an appropriate tool (better than nothing), but of course the real world instrument departure is better if you can find it.

This case highlights how both have value. The missed approach and LEP1G are basically the same. They both ask for a right turn, just at different DME. The purpose of both is to avoid the Restricted airspace to the left (the one you turned towards and probably flew into after takeoff).

At your stage of training, I have to ask: Is it worth it to greatly complicate the procedure to have you avoid that airspace, when you are practicing with PAPI landings? The correct procedure will involve a hold right over the airport. You will probably need much more skill with the hold at LEP vs BKZ. I don't think you even used LEP here. Does it matter?

You made a turn, went the correct direction to the correct DME for the final turn, then made that turn correctly to reach the real world Final Approach Fix. Your challenge been to locate the Final Approach Fix.

How much would you like to increase the difficulty?

EDIT: I just noticed the note on the departures, "SID LEP 1G for ACFT CAT A only." Which means it is not available for the Constellation.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

TreeTops wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 02:47 Looks like you were following the missed approach on departure which is not correct.

https://www.simfeats.com/flight-simulat ... sid-rwy-24
This is the chart for departures. Fly the "LEP 1G" which loops back to the LEP VOR climbing to 2500ft.

From LEP you then fly to the far side of the hold loop at the point 11.1nm from LEP, then left turn to intercept the RWY24 ILS.
https://www.simfeats.com/flight-simulat ... r-y-rwy-24
Hello Trev, long time no touch and I hope you have been safe and healthy.
Regarding on Charts your links are not working. I tried since the first day and they won't load.
I will check mine again and see if I can identify the correct procedure instead of GA.
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

flapman wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 07:48 This case highlights how both have value. The missed approach and LEP1G are basically the same. They both ask for a right turn, just at different DME. The purpose of both is to avoid the Restricted airspace to the left (the one you turned towards and probably flew into after takeoff).

At your stage of training, I have to ask: Is it worth it to greatly complicate the procedure to have you avoid that airspace, when you are practicing with PAPI landings? The correct procedure will involve a hold right over the airport. You will probably need much more skill with the hold at LEP vs BKZ. I don't think you even used LEP here. Does it matter?

EDIT: I just noticed the note on the departures, "SID LEP 1G for ACFT CAT A only." Which means it is not available for the Constellation.
FlapMan, it appears I am getting in trouble with the EVLA Charts I have (lol). I found if I do Take-off from rwy24 heading 244 degrees Altitude 1500 I can turn left at 8.3nm instead of turning right. I think it is more difficult turning right and overfly the airport to go heading 064 and climbing to 2500 ALT and then turn left at 11.1 to intercept ILS.
I can do that flight pattern instead of the Circle as I did before.
I don't know about what is not available for Connie. I think the route "SID LEP 1G for ACFT CAT A only." is for jets with FMC device like PMDG 737?
Anyway, I can't get Charts from Trev's links.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

trisho0 wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 09:57I think it is more difficult turning right and overfly the airport to go heading 064 and climbing to 2500 ALT and then turn left at 11.1 to intercept ILS.
I agree, this will be much more difficult. It's also not correct as you have written it, which means when you try it you will be badly off course, will probably be lost in space, and will have missed the final approach fix. With your modified procedure we violate airspace but you get Connie in correct location to see PAPI.
The reason I had you try LBTA approach was to get you to a position where you also see the PAPI. But you don't think it's possible, or are very confused on it.
trisho0 wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 09:57 is for jets with FMC device like PMDG 737?
No.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

I am going to work with LTBA PAPI lights and with 710ft altitude.
EVLA Liepaja can wait for the correct traffic pattern after I get the updated Chart.
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Happy New Year 2022!
Connie didn't work with VOR2 and I could wait for the NDB to fly another 10nm (Course 113) before turning back to course 274 but I stopped. I didn't like to miss VOR2.
I did a flight plan:

LKPR Gate3 to take-off from rwy24.
VLM (VOR1) 114.3/130 @ 39.2nm
BNO (VOR2) 114.45/113 @ 71.6nm
B (NDB) 429 KHz/090 @ 1.3nm
LKTB ILS rwy27/111.5/274

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JADvfl ... sp=sharing

I entered all freq/course accordingly. What did I miss that she lost VOR2?
Pat

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

My previous posting was the flight with P3Dv4.5
Today I flew the same flight plan but with P3Dv5.3 and VOR2 worked as expected. Unfortunately I couldn't finish the flight due to a CTD.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dniONl ... sp=sharing

So, this flight with P4D fails Connie to detect VOR2 but P5D. That's rare.
Pat

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Hi Pat,

Looks like you found the problem with the BNO VOR in P4D. You perform the same steps in P5D and it works. That means your procedure was not the problem.
This isn't a new problem. You have seen this problem before and we have tried to discuss in previously. I suspect your custom LKTB scenery could be a problem. Or at least a first place to look.

Is it the same scenery in both simulators?
I suspect either BNO was deleted, or was transmitting on a different frequency.

Robert.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”