Should I buy this?

The "Queen of the Skies"
Avio
Staff Sergeant

Should I buy this?

Post by Avio »

Am deciding between COTS for B377 or the Connie.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Should I buy this?

Post by Ron Attwood »

Which one do YOU like best? Because you'll get answers putting forward one or the other in equal amounts and someone will say 'get both'.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

My preference is towards the B377. I have both planes and you can't go wrong with either.
Cheers
Trev

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ron Attwood wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 06:49 Which one do YOU like best? Because you'll get answers putting forward one or the other in equal amounts and someone will say 'get both'.
Nice edit... :wink:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 10:30
Ron Attwood wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 06:49 Which one do YOU like best? Because you'll get answers putting forward one or the other in equal amounts and someone will say 'get both'.
Nice edit... :wink:
You noticed that eh? Damned quick of you. :D
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Haha right now I'm getting mt head around the B17 and loving it. But I may just get one or both the COTS too !

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

One thing to consider is that the Connie is the only one made for P3D. Jus' sayin'.

Seeya
ATB

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

A thing stopping me from getting either is the lack of a more in-depth maintenance module like those in other A2A addons.

Are the maintenance items popping up from time to time sufficiently simulated enough?

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Any random failure in flight for the B377 ? I understand the Connie does simulate random failures when in flight.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yeah, unfortunately limitations in the sim ultimately restrict how much goodness A2A can stuff into their aircraft. If you can, you should get both. The 377 is kind of a handful, especially when it comes to managing the engines well. I had thousands of hours flying that beast and loved every minute of it. But when I dive back into the COTS line again it will be with the Connie. Both can open up an interest in navigation, if you chose to go that way. There is a sextant you can download which you can use for Both sun and star sights to help chart your way across the ocean. Honestly, you can do pretty deep dives into all sorts of period techniques: navigation, engine management, weather (if you are using a weather engine like ActiveSky). Damn, I just talked myself into buying the Connie! :shock:

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

There are random emergencies with PAX, which can help or hurt your career. Bad landings, flying through severe turbulence all reflect in your career. There are random failures of engines or engine components that happen, if I recall correctly. Most damage is something that builds from mistreating the engines in the 377. So you really need to pay attention to temperature management. Yeah, it will keep you very busy during flights. The 4360 is a very powerful engine, and also a fragile engine if you mismanage it. Hope that helps.😉

Just bought the Connie!
Last edited by Jacques on 02 Jul 2020, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Thanks for the helpful advice. Sounds irresistable!

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Well they can be very engrossing, which isn’t bad. And if you’re willing, they can open doors to all kinds of knowledge! In my mind, there isn’t much bad to say about spending some time idly listening to the terrific sound sets A2A always provides while thumbing through a book on celestial navigation. Or reading from the archives of Flight journal (UK) about the acceptance and delivery flight of The first BOAC Stratocruiser.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Ron mentioned earlier that some with suggest to buy both. There is only one thing wrong with buying both, in that just one of them will keep you sufficiently occuppied for weeks and months.
The beauty about both of these planes is that the more you use them, the deeper you go into trying to operate them correctly, trying to squeeze out better fuel milage, keeping passengers happy.
The greater the effort put into these planes, the greater the reward and sense of accomplishment.
The B377 does come with the Pregnant Guppy varient which is great for learning to fly the B377 but with simplier systems like no turbos to maintain cabin pressure, and maximum of 10,000 ft means less time spend on climb and descent.
The Guppy has a heavy payload (rocket booster) which allows for about 5-6 hrs of flight, taking off at max load, whereas the B377 needs to fly for 8-10 hrs to use all the fuel.
Nothing wrong with taking off light and doing a little 2 hrs flight though!!! :D
Cheers
Trev

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Update - Been flying the B377 COTS for a while and loving it !

Why then am I also eyeing the Connie ??

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”