The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
eker
Senior Airman

Vertical speed indicator in old aircraft

Post by eker »

Comanche is my aircraft in P3Dv4.5.

But.....

Following the old Braathens DC6B LN-SUB exciting flight from Canada to ENZV - Stavanger Norway last week, my interest for old airliners kicked in again.
Checking PMDG DC6B I soon realized this is not up to my standard. No buy.

Time to blow dust off A2A Connie.
Remember some issues with pitch sensitivity, and my old Saitek X45 is now worn out, I did not expect much.

But my Connie flies well. Maybe A2A updated it, or my updated PC and upgrade from P3D V2 to V4.5 did the trick, I am not sure.

I am not a pilot ( just Engineer) I have flown in full movement simulator, and next day the same simulator with movement turned off. I can tell you that the most important vertical speed indicator is your butt.
It is important for designers to consider this when designing aircraft for sims.

40 years ago I was flying a Cherokee as a passenger. The instructor asked me to take control. I used the VSI as primary instrument. The aircraft started to oscillate in pitch. Sounds familiar?
The instructor told me to take hands off yoke and the aircraft settled down .

Remember that old Vertical Speed Indicators are just a punctured mechanical altimeter. There is a LOT of lag! - If VSI reads + 1000 f/m and falling to 100 f/m, may not mean the aircraft changed pitch, but maybe the instrument settles to correct vs.
Modern VSI is instant - called IVSI. That is why you can you can settle GS to -700 f/m and be happy.

My first flight around the airport did very well. I have to refresh AP, so it was hand flying. Landing on VASI was simple.

Same night I watched several old video tutorials for brush up. Common was pitch issues in descend approach and landing, probably due to chasing VS instrument.
Remember:
Primary instrument is HSI. Set the aircraft on horizon. Trim. Then check VSI. Unfortunately there is no pitch ladder. It takes some experience to place aircraft above or below horizon for correct climb/dive. Trim and set. Then check VSI.

My first ILS today. No AP .
I hardly checked VS indicator.
I flew into GS, with HSI in level flight.
Then I chased GS needle with trim and throttle, paying no attention to VSI.
Runway in sight I used VASI and not ILS.

No doubt more difficult than real life with lack of your important butt indication.
But did a nice ILS approach and landing.

Finally - Connie is not a CATIII lander.
ILS is very sensitive near runway.
No runway in sight at MM marker - go around and consider divert to alternate. This was common back in old days..

Remember:
HSI instrument is primary
VSI instrument is secondary.

(Disclaimer: I am not a real life pilot)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Vertical speed indicator in old aircraft

Post by Scott - A2A »

Yes you definitely never want to chase a VSI unless you are mentally processing the large amount of lag present. When flying level you are setting your pitch, which is immediate then looking for results in the altimeter, not the VSI. If you are flying IFR you can see the very smallest changes in the altimeter. The more you fly IFR the more you tune into these micro changes and learn to compensate with the slightest pressures. It all comes in time. Eventually the brain re-wires itself to do this subconsciously freeing your conscious mind to do other things, but this only happens with practice and not letting too much time go without flying as you will quickly lose this learned capability.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”