049 Constellation

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
finforfun
Airman

049 Constellation

Post by finforfun »

Hello all! Lowering flaps with autopilot engaged causes such a change in trim that the plane jumps up and down all over the sky, and the autopilot seems unable to exert control. What is the correct procedure here, should manual control be exercised during flap extension??

Fin Fraser

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: 049 Constellation

Post by AviationAtWar »

Yes, you'll want to disengage autopilot before lowering flaps or gear. This autopilot system wasn't designed for large trim changes.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

It wasn‘t even designed to fly turns :D it‘s an autopilot to fly straight ahead and do small heading corrections :) It‘s a pretty manual airplane.

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

I flew the Connie from KMEM to KFSM using /A equipment code on Vatsim today. I hit some wind shear (Think active sky was updating) after takeoff, and the passengers started screaming in the back...I laughed pretty hard because it was maybe a 5 degree *yaw* action. Interestingly during decent and landing the captain kept mentioning and apologizing for the "issue" during the flight...The flight attendant wasn't happy with me either after we unloaded...the best part was that I got an applause upon landing :lol:

Anyway I was quite happy and mildly surprised at how well I have learned the Sperry autopilot. I was able to go hands off most of the flight and also during the entire decent. I was able to dial in a nice 800 fpm decent with the attitude adjustment and it held nicely.

It takes a long time to get "used" to and learn the ques of what it is about to do, or is hinting at you to do in the way of trim. Another trick is to turn down the "sensitivity" knobs on the left side of the autopilot gauges to 2 which is what I fly with.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”