Connie on fire!

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Puk
Senior Airman

Connie on fire!

Post by Puk »

Of all the A2A aircraft I've been flying (C172, C182, Cherokee, Comanche, Connie) over the last few years, the Connie has always been the most reliable one, though it's known - in real life - for it's engine failures. That's because it is known as “the world’s best trimotor” because it had so many engine failures that it often flew on three.

Because I never ever witnessed an engine faillure during flights, I was curious how the Connie would behave in that case. So I took off from Sion airport (LSGS) in an attempt to get in serious trouble; full throttle, full RPM all the way. Tough temperatures of the engines did keep on raising, I couldn't get them hotter than 271°. After having shut down engine 1, 2 and 3 the Connie still kept on flying, slowly though, but it was keeping up altitude. Finally on approach to SION again the temperature rose up to 280° and, at last, my engineer mentioned that engine4 was on fire. Landed savely with a dark smoke trail and just before leaving the runway engine4 quit and went on fire.

Though no passengers on board Betty started the emergency procedures while the fire extinguisher did it's work and put out the fire.

Puk
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”