Some questions about the cockpit

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
FraPre
Airman Basic

Some questions about the cockpit

Post by FraPre »

Hello,
after few flights with the great L-049 i´ve same questions, and I find no answers. The manual does not deal with all functions, I think.
In the cockpit preparation flows be named some operating devices, which I do not find.
Maybe the terms in the flows and the cockpit pictures differ from one another.
I mean the following points:
# Elevator tab control lever (Manual / ELECT)
# Elevator and rudder booster emergency control switch
# Automatic hydraulic pump motor switch
# Hydraulic pump shut-off switches
# Synchroscope selector switch
For the following point i´m looking for more informations:
# Cylinder heat selector (positions are depending from the OAT ?)

I hope the questions were not answered before, i´ve searched the 4 pages and sorry for my english.
The flight with the L-049 without all modern features (FMC, FADEC, Automations,...) is an time travel in an adventurous time of aviation. The airplane is an great work from the A2A team.

Best regards
Frank

FraPre
Airman Basic

Re: Some questions about the cockpit

Post by FraPre »

Hi,

no one can help me?

In comparison with the images and text, i find these levers and switches not. Do these at all in this L-049?

For example, at Page 115 i find an Elevator/Aileron and rudder Boost (lever) - positions 8 and 17. In the cockpit flow at page 123 i read "Elevator and rudder
booster emergency control switches — OFF". What is that / Where is it?
I read further at page 123 "Automatic pilot hydraulic pump motor switch — OFF" - i can´t find this switch.
On page 112 i read in the chapter Trim Tab Controls "The tabs are operated electrically by pulling the elevator tab control engaging lever aft to ELECT and pressing one of the two control switches which are located on the left side of the pilot’s control wheel"
Where is this lever for change between Mech/Elec, where are the control switches left of the pilots control wheel?

Best regards
Frank

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The L049 connie has mechanical trims items 19/20/7 on the isle stand page 115.
The booster levers are on in a cold dark cockpit by default , when power off you select the booster levers to off , to check full and free movement of controls , as the boosters act as control locks in a cold dark cockpit .
Once aircraft is powered up , these boosters are re engauged to give hydraulic control boost , to ease the pilots workload on the controls in flight, in the event of hydraulic failure in flight , the controls will lock , to regain control in flight under these conditions , booster levers are put to off position and controls are then manually operated , and also become very heavy item 17 LH side of islestand and items 8 left of throttles page 115.
AP is engauged / disengauged by the 3 levers on the isle stand item 15 page 115 .
These are the items refered to , i beleave later connies had elect/man trims , this does cause a few problems as i believe the manual is writen for the different models of connie.
hope this helps you.
regards alan. 8)

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Sorry that no one responded to this. I think it got lost in the plethora of similar threads asking almost all those answers that were posted around the same time.
FraPre wrote:# Elevator tab control lever (Manual / ELECT)
# Elevator and rudder booster emergency control switch
These were not installed on our L-049 reference aircraft and we missed that in the manual check, so you can disregard those items.
# Automatic hydraulic pump motor switch
# Hydraulic pump shut-off switches
The pump switch I is not installed (again, wasn't installed on reference aircraft), but the hydraulic shut-off switches are the 4 guarded switches on the upper FE panel (#13 in the diagram on page 121).
# Synchroscope selector switch
Removed both because it wasn't on the reference aircraft, but also because we chose to model a slightly different system for ease of customer use as the one with the switch had very complex operations and even we had trouble knowing if it was working right when BETA testing based on the description of the system we had.
For the following point i´m looking for more informations:
# Cylinder heat selector (positions are depending from the OAT ?)
This is the Cylinder HeaD Selector. The Connie was equipped with 4 thermocouples per engine, some on the front row of cylinders, some on the back. The selector allows you to view all of them with 1 set of gauges so that the FE could determine how well the engines were performing and better manage the temperature of the engines. Which cylinders are instrumented is described on page 114 of the manual.

FraPre
Airman Basic

Post by FraPre »

Hi CAPFlyer,

thanks for your answer.
The 4 hydraulic switches are on the FE panel, but mentioned in the captain flow, that irritated me.

A small question still, what I do with the Attitude gyro (uncaged) Knob?

Frank

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The Attitude Gyro in that flow I believe is for the Autopilot Attitude Indicator, not the pilot's. That one you make sure is uncaged.

qqwertzde
Airman Basic

Post by qqwertzde »

Hi,

I am new to the L049 and going through the documentation. This topic is a year old, but it appears the chapter on Flight Operations still contains several features (Elevator tab control lever, hydraulic motor switch, ..) that are not implemented. Is that correct, or do I have an outdated manual?

Related to this: the descent checklist mentions a trailing antenna. Is this modeled?

Thanks,
Peter

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The manual was not changed.

The trailing wire antenna is not modeled.

qqwertzde
Airman Basic

Post by qqwertzde »

Thanks,

Peter

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”