Self calculating navigator's log

The "Queen of the Skies"
MatsH
Airman First Class

Re: Self calculating navigator's log

Post by MatsH »

Thank you Stearmandriver!

I have some bad news! The MagVar-bug has not been eliminated! Under some circumstanses the TOD-waypoint will be off the route and the MagVar and True Course will be off by a lot! I am losing my hair over this because I fail to Nail those circumstances down! If any of you have any ideas, please Contact me!

A workaround for now: Adjust descent rate or any other variable (speed, placement of waypoints, etc.) to get reasonable results!

I am working on that as well as giving the log a workover so that it will resemble the TWA-log I posted above.

EDIT: By the way Stearmandriver! You can measure distances within Plan-G! Right click and select "Use QDM-tool"! You can view course and distance in the "Information" window. It is not as powerful as Google Earth of course!

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

Thanks MatsH... yeah, I realized it put my TOC point somewhat off course. I haven't checked the TOD yet. Easily fixed, from a user standpoint anyway. I just move the TOD to be on the course line, abeam where the navlog put it, i don't envy you trying to nail the calculations down though!

As far as Plan G, yeah you can measure course and distance to a point, but what you can't do (or at least I can't figure out how to do) is draw a line. Since this kind of navigation is all about lines of position, I prefer Google Earth for that. Don't get me wrong, I like Plan G, it's a great contribution to the community... it just wasn't designed for this.

BendyFlyer
Airman

Post by BendyFlyer »

MATSH - not sure but for some reason I can get this to download but it will not open for me but chokes and stalls on the loadup into the spreadsheet.

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

I have no idea why that could be! What version of Excel are you using? Maybe you need to enable macros in advance of opening the spreadsheet, but I am not sure. I am just an amateur!

BendyFlyer
Airman

Post by BendyFlyer »

Thanks MATS, something has got corrupted it seems I am getting effectively a buffer overload, because it wants to use nearly all the PC CPU capacity and then just stops loading about three quarters of the way through and takes forever. I am using an older version of Excel, but it wont work in Open Office either (which usually easily does anything MS can throw at it) I will have a think about this. Really liked what I saw though.

BendyFlyer
Airman

Post by BendyFlyer »

Been a long time since I got around to this MATs my apologies. I guess i put it to one side to do some other things. Anyhow I have tried opening the file from Lotus123, Open Office Calc and MS Excel 97 and Microsoft Works, same outcome they all report some form of corruption. I think it is the formatting which is not backwards compatible. Because other users have had no such issues. Thanks anyway

severniae
Senior Airman

Post by severniae »

How would I get hold of this?

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

There is a link on page 2 in this thread.

MD-82
Airman

Post by MD-82 »

Hello MatsH,

I am trying to find my last link before I set off on my Around the World Tour in the Constellation. F-BAZA will depart fully restored from Greenwood Lake ;-) I have tried for some time to get the NavLog to work properly, but I am seeing the following issues;

1. My Get Performance button always shows Red and always returns an "Error:1004" when pressed. The only way out is to enter Debug mode, and close it. When I do, I see that all data is populated and TC/TOD waypoints are created, however;

2. Adding different cruise altitudes in the cruise section seems to add altitudes on top of the other in the Flight Plan. (i.e. If I enter a cruise of 13000 until a certain waypoint and then 21000 at the remaining waypoints, the Flight Plan altitude goes from 13000 to 34000 feet instead of 21000.

3. The times between waypoints does not make sense (e.g. Distance between points is 225 NM, GS is 393 (KTS) but the leg time is 02:16

4. Also, I added a flight (AFR 2170 from Tokyo to Saipan takeoff 18:00 (GMT+9) and land 07:00 (GMT+10). Schedule displays a correct 12:00 hour block time, but when I select the flight in the flight plan tab, the arrival time in Zulu is hashed out instead of displaying 21:00 Zulu.

I was wondering if you're still working on it. I have Windows 10 (64) and Excel 2016

I admire the time you put in to this project !!!

Xander

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

Hi Xander!

1. No idea!

2. Make sure the waypoints do not overlap when you assign legs to the settings.

3. Strange, could be related to 2.

4. Ok, then you arrive the day after you took off, right? Could be related to that. Does it work for a route within the same date so to speak?

I haven't touched it for quite a while. I am about 50% done with a major update but I am currently enjoying another flightsim. Maybe I will get back to it if A2A releases the 377 or B-17 for P3D4. I will do my best to provide support though!

Mats

MD-82
Airman

Post by MD-82 »

No worries at all Mats. Thanks for chiming in. I'll poke at it a few more times

awralls
Airman

Post by awralls »

MD-82 wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 10:47 1. My Get Performance button always shows Red and always returns an "Error:1004" when pressed. The only way out is to enter Debug mode, and close it. When I do, I see that all data is populated and TC/TOD waypoints are created, however;
Just to chime in; I'm getting the same issue. Once I clear the debug window, all seems OK. But it would be great if this one could be explained.

Cheers,

Andy

MB77
Airman Basic

Post by MB77 »

Hi MatsH,

Are you still sharing your self calculating nav log file? I would be thrilled to give it a try.

Kind regards,
MB77

MatsH
Airman First Class

Post by MatsH »

MB77, the link is on page 2 in this thread. It is a Dropbox link that will open the spreadsheet in your browser. You can download it from that page by clicking a link in the upper right corner.

Guys, I don't get Error 1004 myself but there are some solutions if you Google "Error:1004". I have no idea if they work.

MB77
Airman Basic

Post by MB77 »

Thank you so much!

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”