Which is more challenging to fly? Connie or B377

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
Destroy
Airman First Class

Which is more challenging to fly? Connie or B377

Post by Destroy »

Pretty much the topic.

Also, for those that have both, which product to you feel is best? Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Which is more challenging to fly? Connie or B377

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
If you are after a challenge , then try the b377 guppy, no pressurization,lack of boost power , and max alt of 10000ft , with unreliable engines , at max load she is a handful , and if you loose an engine at liftoff , you will need a lot of skill and luck , to get her back down safly.
I prefer to fly the connie , engines more reliable , and one hell of a sexy looking aircraft , but you still need to fly her correctly , or be punished.
If you need a challenge in the connie , try an airport like aspen , in winter .
regards alan. 8)

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

The Connie is way easier to operate in my opinion.
I have a lot (!) of time in the Strat and am building up on the Connie now.
First, navigation. In the 377 you only have the RMI. No CDI, no DME. Requires a lot more skill to navigate properly, if you don't use the navigators map.
On landing the 377 is a challenge every time, and it requires some good effort to bring her down gently.. the Connie is rather easy to settle smoothly.
Engines.. the Strat requires constant monitoring, the superchargers have to be adjusted constantly in combination with the throttle and are prone to overheat.
COTS-wise the experience is nearly the same.
One thing the Strat does better, it's autopilot has an Alt hold function..
After all, I like both, as both are a completely different experience. The Connie being the sexy, sleak, reliable one. And the Strat the massive, fast, unpredictable high-flying beast. Hope to see her in V4 soon in an updated version..

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk
Kind regards, Matthias

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Couldn't agree more with that description Matthias.
They are very different aircraft to fly. Both are fantastic and will reward your efforts to learn how to fly them properly for years to come. Hot / cold weather and light / heavy loads will really fill out the flying experience. Don't let the blunt look of the Stratocruiser put you off as it really grows on you after a while. It's like it's saying "you don't think I can fly, so let me show you how it's done." Challenge accepted. :).
Me personally, I have far more hours in the Stratocruiser and am pretty comfortable flying it, so I lean towards choosing it. However for someone deciding which to buy, perhaps given the availability of the Connie licence in P3D the wise thing to do is buy the Connie now and wait for the Stratocruiser to be released in P3D somewhere down the track.
Regardless, you will not be disappointed which ever you choose. Also there are plenty of people and forum posts here to help understand how to fly them.
Cheers
Trev

Destroy
Airman First Class

Post by Destroy »

Thanks for the replies.

I already own the B377, and while ugly as heck by design(not A2A's fault), I really enjoy flying it.

I was a bit saddened A2A did not 'up their game' with the Connie. You know, more added features and unique special touches.

The planes are too similar in entertainment value for me to justify buying the Connie. I was really hoping the Connie would have a very in-depth maintenance, checklist and repair interactivity like the A2A Cessna, but 2x more content.

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

What I would wish for its visual icing.. On all A2A planes. That would be a nice addition..

Kind regards, Matthias

Stratocruiser2
Senior Airman

Post by Stratocruiser2 »

When I first got the B377 a few years ago, I did not have the benefit of COTS and boy was it a handful to fly on your own as you were constantly jumping around the flight deck monitoring dials and adjusting settings. Things are a lot easier on it with COTS but I still think that overall the Connie is a little easier to handle, probably because it's systems (on the 049 anyway) were just a bit less complicated than the 377. Both great aircraft though!

Bill

Destroy
Airman First Class

Post by Destroy »

MatzeH84 wrote:What I would wish for its visual icing.. On all A2A planes. That would be a nice addition..
On the windows or wing? Not sure if any addon plane has visual wing icing? Can't say I've ever seen a picture of one with it anyway.

The B377 windows fog/frost up if heaters aren't turned on, I assume the Connie has the same.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Destroy wrote:Not sure if any addon plane has visual wing icing?
The Majestic Q400 and Marcel Felde's DA20 Katana are a couple which come to mind. :wink:

Nick

rosariomanzo
Staff Sergeant

Post by rosariomanzo »

Nick M wrote:
Destroy wrote:Not sure if any addon plane has visual wing icing?
The Majestic Q400 and Marcel Felde's DA20 Katana are a couple which come to mind. :wink:
Also the PMDG JS41 and the Flight1 Cessna Mustang.
Ros

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

We looked into icing but theres unfortunatly no way to do it realistically unless you are using the latest Active sky and even then its not 100% real. So whilst at one point back in 2012 the 172 had full icing during development visual wise with no real way to detect realistic icing conditions, by default the sim just says layers which is no good for icing as 1/8 can read as much higher, we had to ditch the work. In the future though who knows, the AS guys pulled some great work with ASN the first to get beyond some platform limitations and now AS16.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

I think it wouldn't be unfair to include icing and make AS mandatory for this feature to work, similar to the weather radar in PMDGs products. I guess the majority of serious simmers use it anyway.

Kind regards, Matthias

paradoxbox
Airman

Post by paradoxbox »

back on topic,

the boeing 377 is harder without question. it is more finicky.

they are both very fun aircraft to fly. the constellation feels like more of a pilot's plane in my opinion. when you fly the 377, it feels like every flight is a feat of engineering. there is so much going on it's hard to believe the damn thing can even get off the ground.

the constellation just gets up and goes, no fuss no muss.

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”