Anyone crossed the Pond yet?

The "Queen of the Skies"
G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Re: Anyone crossed the Pond yet?

Post by G-BJPS »

Have a nice flight Roger! There should/usually be mostly tail winds crossing the pond West-East. Beauty ain't she! I think it's actually my favourite A2A bird now :) Enjoy that lovely soundtrack from those engine's.
When I went to bed last night, I could still hear them in my head lol!

Fly safe! o7

J
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

We're having a great flight. 2 hours and 45 minutes into the flight now with 773 nm behind us. 1702 nm and 5 hours 45 minuts to go. It's been fun testing cruise settings. We're finding 28.5 to 29 in Hg and 1850 RPM gives best speed and economy. Gross Weight at takeoff was full fuel and cargo to max weight. We have a 44 knot tail wind.

Here a shot I just took. Joc is out my left window and Tiger is out front window, the tiny dot.

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Have a nice trip chaps!
Yes Sir, i was at about the same power settings yesterday, and i only went as high as 16,500 ft.
Hey, be careful flying behind them pair, when we did the 'Butt Long' flight I had a few empty Merlot bottles hit me as they threw them out :mrgreen:

gad11
Airman

Post by gad11 »

What would be a good way to get to Princess Juliana Airport from London?

Thanks!

cbramkamp
Senior Airman

Post by cbramkamp »

WB_FlashOver wrote:We're having a great flight. 2 hours and 45 minutes into the flight now with 773 nm behind us.
Wow that's fast! :shock:

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

cbramkamp wrote:
WB_FlashOver wrote:We're having a great flight. 2 hours and 45 minutes into the flight now with 773 nm behind us.
Wow that's fast! :shock:
Oh yeah she'll move alright, yesterday I did Exeter (EGTE) to Gander (CYQX) in 7hrs 46mins. Not bad for an old girl, considering the average flight time in modern airliners from Heathrow to Montreal is about the same time!

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by caribpilot »

I just flew from the Caribbean all the way up to Gander to do an atlantic crossing. I'm still wondering whether to do it with GPS or try it the old school way.. Either way, for those of you who have already done it, did you just fly DCT across the pond or did you follow a specific route that would be realistic for the Connie?
M.Carter
Private Pilot

Tupolev114
Airman

Post by Tupolev114 »

Made it across over the last few days in 14 hours and 38 min, recreated TWA flight 960 from Washington DC to Paris via New York, Gander and Shannon. great trip i must say and truely tested my skills on the last leg, had 3/4 mile of vis coming into LFPO

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

Yea I flew from Shannon to Gander yesterday, took 6hrs and 23mins, here is the landing
https://www.facebook.com/MantockProduct ... 231345570/
ImageImage

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Nice one gents! Quite an adventure crossing the Atlantic isn't it! Especially in real time.
Kind of glad it's done though! I can do shorter legs now all the way round the world back to England.
gad11 wrote:What would be a good way to get to Princess Juliana Airport from London?

Thanks!
Hey Gad11, I would say the same route we took (Shannon-Gander).
It was a real world route back in the day, also Prestwick to Gander.
The only reason I left from Exeter is because it's where I was the flight before, and to save time, instead of flying to Shannon, and reloading sim to cross the pond.

So yeah, Shannon/Prestwick to Gander, and then down the East Coast of the USA.
I suppose you could go further down to Africa and use the Ascension island crossing to South America, but that's a long haul man!
caribpilot wrote:I just flew from the Caribbean all the way up to Gander to do an atlantic crossing. I'm still wondering whether to do it with GPS or try it the old school way.. Either way, for those of you who have already done it, did you just fly DCT across the pond or did you follow a specific route that would be realistic for the Connie?
GPS dude :wink:
Well, I used it anyway, it's a long flight so yeah choose direct to Prestwick or Shannon. It's up to you of course, but using the old AP will be quite a bit of work with regular course corrections.

J

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

gad11 wrote:What would be a good way to get to Princess Juliana Airport from London?

Thanks!
Azores-Bermuda-Nassau-Kingston. Either BOAC or KLM went roughly that way. I'm just starting my hunt through Timetable Images, and not at the point of taking useful notes.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by caribpilot »

Fully loaded, just about 70nm off of Gander on my way to Shannon.
M.Carter
Private Pilot

gad11
Airman

Post by gad11 »

Thanks G-BJPS and Mickel! Appreciated! :D

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

n421nj wrote:Heavy turbulence caused doors to open????? Ive never had this happen, ill have to see if i can get it to occur
I know the doors were shut before take-off and Betty also noted we should be grateful we were behind closed doors. I only have default FSX weather, but winds were changing from 60 knots on the tail to 8 knots headwind, I got lots of warnings that my airspeed was to high.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

It's really good to see the Shannon/Gander leg being frequently flown now!! I felt like it was neglected maybe before the Connie came out, I used to do it with the B377 a fair amount, its sad that theres no good scenery for either Shannon or Gander, but with a Connie and B377 we almost need someone to develop 1950/60's scenery just for the A2A B377 and Connie!!!!!!! Now theres an idea
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”