AutoPilot questions

The "Queen of the Skies"
new reply
RonnieDuck
Airman First Class

AutoPilot questions

Post by RonnieDuck »

Hello Captains

I have some question about the AP. I understand almost how the original autopilot works. There is no function to fly a radial of a VOR. Off course you can do it by hand, but if you fly long distance (6hrs) it is lots of hours behind the yoke. Sometimes I need to walk the dog or go to the toilet and I would like my connie to follow my flightplan.

In the aircraft setup I see three different GPS modules, but when I select one, it is not showing in my cockpit. Do I need to install these GPS-modules first? Where can I find them?

I really enjoy flying on VATSIM. Is it possible with one of these GPS modules to connect them to the AP so the aircraft can fly a SID or STAR and fly FIXes? Not all the ATC guys can appreciate a vintage aircraft.

Regards Ronald

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: AutoPilot questions

Post by n421nj »

If you purchase the flight 1 gtn 650 you can instal it into the vc. Dont think the vintage autopilot will follow the sid or star however, you can either hand fly it using the gps as reference or switch to modern autopilot and nav hold should do it as long as u set up a key for nav/gps toggle.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

RonnieDuck
Airman First Class

Post by RonnieDuck »

So if I assign an NAV/GPS key, I can also use the standard GPS?

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

You don't even have to assign a key (though you could). Here are the steps: Open the A2A Aircraft Configurator tool for the Constellation, click on "GPS," then when you see the list of choices, click on "default." Then, when you load the aircraft, open the Shift-3 menu, and if there's a button that says "no GPS," click on it and it will switch to "GNS 400." The default autopilot will load in the housing on top of the panel. To its right, there's a "nav/gps" switch. Turn on the radios, turn on the GPS by clicking on the power button. If you want the autopilot to track the GPS flightplan, you'll also have to switch from the Sperry to the default FSX autopilot (another Shift-3 option). Load your plan, take off, set nav/gps to "gps" and set autopilot to "on" and "nav" and you're good to go.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Agreed. Having to manually fly the VOR for long flights is just idiotic. This is a game, some leeway
must be given for real life getting in the way.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

One man's game is another man's simulation. For me, the fun is in making the experience as real as possible within our ground-bound limitations. In fact, the Sperry works just fine. The heading hold is simple and reliable, and once she's trimmed in cruise she'll only occasionally wander up and down a bit and, since it's 1950, there's noone to run in to anyway.

I flew from the West Coast to Hawaii and went to bed during the cruise segment. The AFK paused the sim after 7.5 hours and I woke to find the islands just coming into view.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Neon wrote:Agreed. Having to manually fly the VOR for long flights is just idiotic. This is a game, some leeway
There is an option for you to do this already with the "Shift-3" panel and selecting the Default FS Autopilot. If you don't like it, fine, but please stop finding every thread that brings up anything remotely about the autopilot to complain about it. The more you do, the less likely it is that anyone's going to be inclined to do anything about it.

q3ark
Senior Airman

Post by q3ark »

CAPFlyer wrote:
Neon wrote:Agreed. Having to manually fly the VOR for long flights is just idiotic. This is a game, some leeway
There is an option for you to do this already with the "Shift-3" panel and selecting the Default FS Autopilot. If you don't like it, fine, but please stop finding every thread that brings up anything remotely about the autopilot to complain about it. The more you do, the less likely it is that anyone's going to be inclined to do anything about it.

You have also got a pause key at your disposal.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the autopilot, it is correct to the L049, you have the option of using the default FSX autopilot if needed.

There is literally a thing that does what you are asking for, yet you are complaining that a realistic representation on an early autopilot can't follow a VOR.

David.
ImageImage

RonnieDuck
Airman First Class

Post by RonnieDuck »

Guys

I am not complaining! I'm just asking how every captain is handling his navigation. Like I said, I like VATSIM because this gives me a really good flying experience with live ATC. I can fly VOR or NDB's. On VATSIM it is also nice if you can fly modern like Navigation. The thing is that I am not familiar with the GPS modules and how to set it up in the Connie.

SORRY FOR ASKING!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi RonnieDuck.
Shift+3 top rh button activates or deactivtes the gps pod on glareshield , if thats what you are asking.
regards alan. 8)

q3ark
Senior Airman

Post by q3ark »

RonnieDuck wrote:Guys

I am not complaining! I'm just asking how every captain is handling his navigation. Like I said, I like VATSIM because this gives me a really good flying experience with live ATC. I can fly VOR or NDB's. On VATSIM it is also nice if you can fly modern like Navigation. The thing is that I am not familiar with the GPS modules and how to set it up in the Connie.

SORRY FOR ASKING!

Sorry RonnieDuck I wasn't replying to you in my comment

David
ImageImage

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

Alan_A wrote: 27 Dec 2016, 00:15 you'll also have to switch from the Sperry to the default FSX autopilot (another Shift-3 option). Load your plan, take off, set nav/gps to "gps" and set autopilot to "on" and "nav" and you're good to go.
Where is Sperry or what is that?

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”