UPDATE: Weathership Gauge V1.33a with Land based HF and LORAN stations

The "Queen of the Skies"
Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Re: New Weathership Gauge V1.3 now with Land based HF statio

Post by Stearmandriver »

Big vote for Google Earth from me. I understand the attraction to paper charts, but things get messy quickly and you're only gonna be able to fly the same area for a few flights before you need a new map. Google Earth's ruler tool lets you plot anything you want and is darn accurate.

As far as navigation technique, remember that a line of position from a radio aid is still a line of position, and one type's as good as another. Often you wouldn't be close enough to get good accurate bearings from multiple weatherships at once, but if you can get one good bearing and maybe a celestial lop, or even your dead reckoning course line, you can get a decent fix. Classic navigators used every tool at their disposal. Fun to simulate!

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

Stearmandriver wrote:Big vote for Google Earth from me. I understand the attraction to paper charts, but things get messy quickly and you're only gonna be able to fly the same area for a few flights before you need a new map. Google Earth's ruler tool lets you plot anything you want and is darn accurate.

As far as navigation technique, remember that a line of position from a radio aid is still a line of position, and one type's as good as another. Often you wouldn't be close enough to get good accurate bearings from multiple weatherships at once, but if you can get one good bearing and maybe a celestial lop, or even your dead reckoning course line, you can get a decent fix. Classic navigators used every tool at their disposal. Fun to simulate!
The problem with paper maps of f.ex the north Atlantic, is to find one with a decent resolution of of Lat/Lon grids.
It´s also hard to put Your great circle route on such a map, due to the projection.
Thats why I prefer something like Google earth.

Unfortunatly Plan-G does not support all of the content of .kmz files, and therfore nothing will be displayed when importng my .kmz file into Plan-G.

There are many ways to use radio beacons for navigation, some more accurate than others.
I don´t think that aircraft back in time used the Weatherships as "fly over" waypoints, but rather used them to get bearings and at least know when they where abeam of them.

As Stearmandrive says, it´s not often one will have the luxury of being within range of two Weatherships to do a two station cross-reference, thus Your left with using one station to either make a fly-over, do the procedure I outlined with cross-referencing one station or using the Bubble Sextant for additional data on position.

For me navigation is the fun part of flying the old way. Nothing is more rewarding as succeeding in doing a trip across the Atlantic using various "hand" calculated methods, rather than just following the magenta line on a GPS.
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

In case some video demonstration might be useful, I've just posted a video that includes my primer on this gauge and how I'm using it to simulate Pan Am's HfDf system in the pacific in the 1930s. The video is long and includes a bunch of other information as well, but there are timeline links in the description to jump to area of interest.

https://youtu.be/zlXR7H0M0vk

tomer_inbar
Airman Basic

Re: UPDATE: Weathership Gauge V1.31 with Land based HF stati

Post by tomer_inbar »

it's looks like there is a problem with the locations of some stations.
take a look on the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ71RsE ... e=youtu.be

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Re: UPDATE: Weathership Gauge V1.31 with Land based HF stati

Post by wothan »

tomer_inbar wrote:it's looks like there is a problem with the locations of some stations.
take a look on the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ71RsE ... e=youtu.be
Please re-download the files from the opening post. A new V1.32 has been released with fixes for the problems You have mentioned.

Best regards
Finn
When I like to do basic flying, I turn to A2A Aircraft, cause A2A "basic" flying means "complex" procedures.

tomer_inbar
Airman Basic

Re: UPDATE: Weathership Gauge V1.32 with Land based HF stati

Post by tomer_inbar »

Great thank's!

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Re: UPDATE: Weathership Gauge V1.32 with Land based HF stations

Post by wothan »

Bump - due to new version.

FinnJ

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Re: UPDATE: Weathership Gauge V1.33 with Land based HF and LORAN stations

Post by MatzeH84 »

The readme misses the install instructions, oram I overlooking something?
Kind regards, Matthias

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Re: UPDATE: Weathership Gauge V1.33 with Land based HF and LORAN stations

Post by wothan »

MatzeH84 wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 14:17 The readme misses the install instructions, oram I overlooking something?
Thanks for making me aware of this...

Please redownload again.

FinnJ

mgchristy
Airman Basic

Re: UPDATE: Weathership Gauge V1.33a with Land based HF and LORAN stations

Post by mgchristy »

Wothan,
Many thanks for this fantastic gauge! I've retrofitted it to several classic planes in my FS hangar. It really adds a nice layer of immersion to the 'vintage' operating experience.

One possible issue I've noticed: the Anchorage HF station does not appear to work. The receiver is turned 'ON', with a frequency of 413 set on the dial, but I fail to pick up any signal no matter how close or far from Anchorage. All the other HF stations I've tried thus far appear to work just fine. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

wothan
Staff Sergeant

Post by wothan »

mgchristy wrote: 10 May 2019, 11:07 Wothan,
Many thanks for this fantastic gauge! I've retrofitted it to several classic planes in my FS hangar. It really adds a nice layer of immersion to the 'vintage' operating experience.

One possible issue I've noticed: the Anchorage HF station does not appear to work. The receiver is turned 'ON', with a frequency of 413 set on the dial, but I fail to pick up any signal no matter how close or far from Anchorage. All the other HF stations I've tried thus far appear to work just fine. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I found the bug and has fixed it....

Please re-download from the opening post (133b)

Thx for the feedback.
FinnJ

mgchristy
Airman Basic

Post by mgchristy »

I found the bug and has fixed it....

Please re-download from the opening post (133b)
Thanks! I'll redownload and give it a try. Appreciate the help...

alecroberts
Airman Basic

Post by alecroberts »

Hello! Would there be a chance that the Weathership guage will be updated for MSFS? Now that the DC-6 is here?

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”