Starting

The "Queen of the Skies"
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Starting

Post by AviationAtWar »

Is anybody else having difficulty starting? I've re read the procedure several times and I guess I just haven't found that sweet spot yet. Boost pumps on, master ignition on, prime 3-5 seconds cold. Spin up the starter, engage, wait a few blades and then mags on. It seems as if I'm either using too much or too little prime or haven't found the sweet spot in throttle (I'm using around 10%). I've gotten them started a handful of times but on each of my three flights so far I've had to resort to auto start to get all four turning. I've experimented with more or less throttle and more or less prime (both while cranking and before cranking) and haven't found where they are happy I guess.

joers182
Senior Airman

Re: Starting

Post by joers182 »

Once you engage the mags try engaging the primer again until the engine catches, then release the primer and put in Auto Rich on the mixture.

Thats how I got it to start. Not sure its 100% correct procedure but it works.
Joe W

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Try a slight change in the order that you are using the primer.

1. Inertia Starter to get her spinning. When you think you got her spinning fast enough......
2. Turn on the Primer and then Engage the engine.
3. Mag on next.
4. When the engine catches, then turn off the Primer, and move the Mixture Lever full forward.
FAC257

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Also, you can always check the maintenance hangar as it will let you know if any of the engines are flooded. This was put there really as an aid for those who may have some difficulty knowing if they are priming too much.

Also, be very careful to never have the fuel pumps on with the mixture not in the off position, as this will flood the engine is just seconds. If you do flood the engine, just open the throttle and let it crank.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

N324JK
Staff Sergeant

Post by N324JK »

Slightly different issue: I can get the engines started, but it seems like they don't want to keep running (at least on this second flight - first flight this morning, no issues). They'll run, die, then sputter back to life, all without me touching anything. That said, once I get them up to takeoff power, they keep running.

Also noticed something in the recommended power: the shift+2 window talks about auto-rich and auto-lean, yet the mixture controls only seem to have 3 settings (as I inadvertently, and almost disastrously, discovered at cruise): cutoff, full, and (what I assume) is auto-rich. Pulling back past auto-rich went all the way back to cutoff. Is there an auto-lean detent?
Jon K.
Image Image Image ImageImage

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

There are the three positions....cutoff, auto-lead and auto-rich.

There is a detente for the 'middle one', the auto-lean position.

Are you keeping the MP and RPM up once you start? I usually have the throttles set
for around 10" to 15" MP and RPM at 1500 while I get everything prepared to taxi.

You'll need the parking brake set or she will start rolling quite easily even at those low settings.

Paul

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

Thank you all. This worked for me:
FAC257 wrote:Try a slight change in the order that you are using the primer.

1. Inertia Starter to get her spinning. When you think you got her spinning fast enough......
2. Turn on the Primer and then Engage the engine.
3. Mag on next.
4. When the engine catches, then turn off the Primer, and move the Mixture Lever full forward.
N324JK wrote:Slightly different issue: I can get the engines started, but it seems like they don't want to keep running (at least on this second flight - first flight this morning, no issues). They'll run, die, then sputter back to life, all without me touching anything. That said, once I get them up to takeoff power, they keep running.
To add to what Paul said, also make sure you're not leaving the primer on after the engine starts since it isn't a momentary contact switch. I knew to watch for it but accidentally did it anyway on my first startup this morning, it smoked a bit extra and then quit as it flooded.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Yes, the new fuel system we developed for the Connie will actually eventually flood if you leave both the primer and mixture on.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Scott - A2A wrote:Also, you can always check the maintenance hangar as it will let you know if any of the engines are flooded. This was put there really as an aid for those who may have some difficulty knowing if they are priming too much.

Also, be very careful to never have the fuel pumps on with the mixture not in the off position, as this will flood the engine is just seconds. If you do flood the engine, just open the throttle and let it crank.

Scott.
Just discovered this morning after reading your post, that this also works on the T6. Been having trouble starting in really cold weather, and after going into maintenace hangar I found out that I had over primed and flooded engine. Cranked it with mixture at cutoff, and it fired right up. :)
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I knew it was there on the T-6 but didn't expect it in this basic hangar. I won't rely on it but it's nice to have!

augapfel
Airman Basic

Post by augapfel »

Oh dear... had problems yesterday on a fast first check to start engines. Yes... the mag's needs to be engaged. Ouch :roll:

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

AviationAtWar wrote:I knew it was there on the T-6 but didn't expect it in this basic hangar. I won't rely on it but it's nice to have!
While the presentation is "basic", it does still tell you a ton via messages. Remember that the idea with the MX Hangar in COTS is that you're the captain. You're not in charge of maintenance of the airplane, the airline's mechanics are. They'll tell you what's broke or what's damaged, but if it needs to get fixed, then they'll simply replace as necessary and repair only if they have to. If they want to pinch pennies, that's on them, not you. :D

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

RonnieDuck
Airman First Class

Post by RonnieDuck »

Reading this post, I was wondering if the auxiliary fuel-pumps need to be on during start?

My two flights, I started with the fuel pumps on, once the mixture is on auto-rich I put the pumps out. During take-off I click them on again till airborne.

I this the right procedure?

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

You'll want to start with the pumps on. I accidentally went through a few start cycles on one engine having forgotten to turn the pump on and it wouldn't start. The 377 would eventually start without a boost pump on but I'm not sure the Connie will, it will take quite a bit of effort if it does I think.

I always turn the pumps off after I start each engine but when turning the FE panel over to the engineer he'll turn them back on. He's read the manual, I haven't. :roll:

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”