Starting

The "Queen of the Skies"
AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Starting

Post by AviationAtWar »

You'll click and drag the switch downward to reduce RPM and let off the switch when you reach the desired RPM.

You don't have to fly with the engineer active but it would be beneficial to do so until you're more familiar with the plane. Otherwise take off with the cowl flaps open and start to close them partially once you take off, and they can be closed further as you climb and reduce power. You'll need to monitor cylinder head temperatures in order to determine cowl flap settings.

trisho0
Technical Sergeant

Post by trisho0 »

AviationAtWar wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 17:03 You'll click and drag the switch downward to reduce RPM and let off the switch when you reach the desired RPM.

You don't have to fly with the engineer active but it would be beneficial to do so until you're more familiar with the plane. Otherwise take off with the cowl flaps open and start to close them partially once you take off, and they can be closed further as you climb and reduce power. You'll need to monitor cylinder head temperatures in order to determine cowl flap settings.
I just did another flight and I had to pass over the small airport I thought there was a plane on the opposite runway side ready to take off. My glasses needs service like Connie (lol).
Monitoring cylinder temp is on the FE panel? I will double check the manual again maybe is a gauge too.
I appreciate your providing lessons.
Uploaded another clip to see if I did fly right. Also, I wonder if there is a keystroke to use the RPM switch or to assign it to the joystick otherwise I have to cross my arms to work with (lol).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qvavap ... sp=sharing

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Here's how I start my Connie, and it works every time: viewtopic.php?f=133&t=57739&p=446613#p446613.

Only variation is that now I just look left from the FE's seat and operate the mag switches, then look back to the FE panel.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”