Navigation

The "Queen of the Skies"
ionasm
Airman Basic

Navigation

Post by ionasm »

Hello Captains,

So how do you navigate this aircraft if you don't have a GPS, in order to go from A to B?

Regards,

minibikerider
Airman

Re: Navigation

Post by minibikerider »

I'm with you on that one. I really couldn't do a flight with the 377 because of the lack of knowing on how to navigate.
ImageImage
ImageImage

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

One can use VOR and/or NDB navigation. DME is also available.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

and if there are no clouds you can still watch out for rivers, coastlines etc.. VFR was a big part those days... and reading your speed gives you an idea about your ground speed. A stop watch and a map were not worse than a GPS moving map today. simply not that comfortable.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Also you need to look at what the navigator is telling you regards wind/grd spd for corrections because you are not always in range of vor/dme signals , but if you use the sims flight planner , then a red line appears on the map , you just need to turn the maps airways off so it shows more clearly , so its then easier to follow.
regards alan. 8)

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

minibikerider wrote:I'm with you on that one. I really couldn't do a flight with the 377 because of the lack of knowing on how to navigate.
How about learning some new tricks? Like basic radio navigation? Or cel....okay, wrong guy. Anyway, it baffles me how many people are totally lost without a GPS! How could we ever do without it?

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Just create a flight plan in FS (or AS16 or whatever you want) with the "VOR to VOR" option. Then open the navlog and note the VOR frequencies somewhere (or consult it in flight using the default FS tablet).

Now all you have to do is enter the successive frequencies in the NAV radio panel and follow the needles :)
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I absolutely love VFR navigation with paper charts (I have tonnes of them, and I buy new ones if I need to spend time in a new area of the world).

VOR and NDB-navigation is very satisfactory, but also the picking up of visual cues on the ground. I learn so much geography from looking out of the windows while handflying around.

Handflying - because I don't want to become the 747 captain that couldn't fly (as told by Mitch in the manual to the Piper Cub).
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

Anyway, for the FMC kids out there, here's an excellent free source to learn the ropes:

http://flybetter.com.au/book-three-second-edition

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

When the Connie was first introduced most of the commercial flights were still using LFRR (Low Frequency Radio Ranges) until VOR's became more numerous in the 50's. Milviz just released their T-50 Bobcat with LFRR capability. Several people have asked they release that feature as a stand-alone. There was one for FS9 but does not work in FSX. If you would like to fly LFRR go to the Milviz forum and put in your request.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@nico - that book is a fantastic resource.

Alternative$ include Instrument Flying, by Richard L. Taylor: Weather Flying, by Robert Buck, and the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook, all available through Amazon. But nico's reference covers all the bases really nicely.

There are also two excellent Kindle books by Hal Stoen.

When I was a flightsim youth, 30-plus years ago, I relied on this one, too. It predates GPS, so it's a good resource.

Fun craft to learn. Enjoy!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Nico
Senior Airman

Post by Nico »

I should also point out that on the same site there are more books available by the same author, covering other aspects of avation. All of them are excellent.
http://flybetter.com.au

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Alan_A wrote:the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook, all available through Amazon.
That can be downloaded for free from the FAA's Aviation Handbooks & Manuals page (fwiw).
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Learn how to Navigate like everyone that has a Private Pilot's license has to do. That is what makes aviation and flying interesting, you have to learn something. to do it.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

bobsk8 wrote:Learn how to Navigate like everyone that has a Private Pilot's license has to do. That is what makes aviation and flying interesting, you have to learn something. to do it.
Dead Reckoning... yes. Pilotage is going to be tougher for an aircraft such as this.
ROB - A2A wrote:One can use VOR and/or NDB navigation. DME is also available.
This is exactly what we were doing prior to GPS in General Aviation. Once I used LORAN - otherwise mainly VOR to VOR with the possibility of an NDB approach.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”