Praise for Glicksman's writing on the Connie

The "Queen of the Skies"
Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Praise for Glicksman's writing on the Connie

Post by Medtner »

I read the whole manual from start to finish in literally one sitting - I couldn't stop. Mitchell Glicksman's writing is so good and informative - and it ties everything so much together. Great stuff!

It's also quite funny to read, which keeps attention at peak for me.

I look forward to more aviation-writing from Mitch, as the previous manuals are also superb!
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Krycekuk
Staff Sergeant

Re: Praise for Glicksman's writing on the Connie

Post by Krycekuk »

+1,

I am about 2/3rds through the historical look at passenger aircraft development and how the "Connie" came about in the excellent manual. This combined with Boeings own documentaries I watched recently really help put that whole era of passenger aircraft development into perspective.

Thank you for such a well written and informative manual.
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero mb
Intel i7 6700K 4 Core @4.5GHz
850 Pro 512Gb SSD for Win 10 64 bit, 1Tb M2 for MSFS
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb DDR4 3000
nVidia 2070 Super
TrackIR 5, Honeycomb controls, Saitek panels
Every A2A Accu-sim aircraft

triflyman
Senior Airman

Post by triflyman »

Agreed. I was going to start reading with the features, but started with his history...not finished yet but great job. Several facts new to me and a little different take on how commercial aviation got to the Connie. Can't wait for lunch break today so I can get back to it.

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Yes very nice as always. I always think the manuals would be really nice as real book too.
Woke myself up last night by dropping my phone on my face, because i fell asleep reading it for hours in bed! :roll:
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Krycekuk
Staff Sergeant

Post by Krycekuk »

G-BJPS wrote:Yes very nice as always. I always think the manuals would be really nice as real book too.
Woke myself up last night by dropping my phone on my face, because i fell asleep reading it for hours in bed! :roll:
Glad its not just me that does things like that !

I had to get out of bed and download the manual on my PC, get back into bed, just so I could read it from my ipad having placed it in drop box. I really should look into something that will read ZIP files on an ipad which would have saved me the trouble ;)
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero mb
Intel i7 6700K 4 Core @4.5GHz
850 Pro 512Gb SSD for Win 10 64 bit, 1Tb M2 for MSFS
Corsair Vengeance 32Gb DDR4 3000
nVidia 2070 Super
TrackIR 5, Honeycomb controls, Saitek panels
Every A2A Accu-sim aircraft

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Agreed. I posted this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it - I have books on my shelf that aren't nearly as good as Mitchell's manuals. At some point, A2A should think about publishing them separately - they'd stand very well on their own.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Krycekuk wrote:
G-BJPS wrote:Yes very nice as always. I always think the manuals would be really nice as real book too.
Glad its not just me that does things like that !

I had to get out of bed and download the manual on my PC, get back into bed, just so I could read it from my ipad having placed it in drop box. I really should look into something that will read ZIP files on an ipad which would have saved me the trouble ;)

LOL! I bet lots of folk do it !! I used to have an Ipad and there are free apps for that! I used to have all my A2A manuals on it.
Be careful dropping your Ipad on your face man! It hurts and scares the crap out of you awake! I did it a few times!! :D
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

N1684T
Staff Sergeant

Post by N1684T »

Yes Sir,
Thanks for a great and informative read, so much time and research put into A2A manuels.
Very Merry Christmas too all
Mark S.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress-Accusimed/Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-COTS/ Piper Cub-Accusimed/Cessna 172 Trainer/Piper Cherokee 180/T-6 "TEXAN"/Constellation L049

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

This is indeed VERY well-written. I learnt a lot, and it was a pleasure to read. Merry Christmas everyone !
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

FlexFlier
Airman First Class

Post by FlexFlier »

Note the comment on Page 68 regarding the retractable tail skid installed by the USAAF on the C-69's: "This was removed from all civilianized
C-69s as airline pilots were expected not to be so careless as to need such an embarrassing device." About 25 years later just such a retractable tail skid was built into the Boeing B-727. I flew this airplane for many years and never heard a single complaint of embarrassment. Maybe the pilots had become a bit less sensitive, or maybe we just couldn't be bother to worry about such things. Hmmmm....
Taildraggers rule!

Mitchell - A2A
Aviation Writer and Pilot

Post by Mitchell - A2A »

FlexFlier wrote:Note the comment on Page 68 regarding the retractable tail skid installed by the USAAF on the C-69's: "This was removed from all civilianized
C-69s as airline pilots were expected not to be so careless as to need such an embarrassing device." About 25 years later just such a retractable tail skid was built into the Boeing B-727. I flew this airplane for many years and never heard a single complaint of embarrassment. Maybe the pilots had become a bit less sensitive, or maybe we just couldn't be bother to worry about such things. Hmmmm....
Do I spy an exquisite irony in a discussion about the necessity of the installation of a tail skid on a tricycle undercarriage airplane and your tag - “Taildraggers Rule!”?

Mitchell

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

[Admin note]
Guys, I split off all of the conversation about antisemitism and sent it away. Nobody did anything wrong but it's just way too sensitive a subject that is ripe for misunderstandings.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Good to see that, Scott. :-)

Now, about those writings of Mitch. Someday I'm sure they could be "bookyfied". Maybe "the collected works" of A2A-manuals. I'm a very tactile person, and I like to have everything at hand - paper charts, IFR-plates, airport diagrams, manuals, checklists. The A2A manuals are all printed and put in separate binders.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

@Scott - good move.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

FlexFlier
Airman First Class

Post by FlexFlier »

Scott, I agree...good move!
Taildraggers rule!