A2A Connie manuals online

The "Queen of the Skies"
Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Re: A2A Connie manuals online

Post by Aymi »

By the way, the first half of the manual was a fascinating read, very well-written. Nice work !
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, working my way through Mitchell Glicksman's historical account with interest. :) (Albeit doing so sporadically due to the usual pre-Christmas distractions.) I'll admit I'd never even heard of the Curtiss T-32 Condor II - what a curious looking aeroplane it was!

Great stuff, though I do feel referring to aircraft without using a "the" should be strictly reserved for Anglo-French supersonic airliners. :P

Thanks,
Nick

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

Just read through the manual and scanned back through it a couple of times,

I was specifically looking for the optimal cruise altitude for the Connie, the closest I got where those tables on pages 138 and 139, these hint that the highest cruise is 24,000ft. Am I correct in this assumption?

- Peter
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

McChester wrote:I opened up a thread about the missing GTN750, not realizing that there was already a discussion going on about it. And while I agree about the fact that flying the Connie with a GPS is almost blasphemy, I want to point something out:

There is 'vintage realistic' and there is 'modern realistic'. While flying a vintage plane with classic radio navigation is fine and all, I, as a RL ATC, prefer to fly routes that are realistic and I do care about things like airspace structure. The Breitling Super Connie (which I had on the frequency many times), is not IFR equipped (or at least not certified) and the airspace structure in central Europe is so complicated that staying outside TMAs and such without a GPS is virtually impossible. Also, many VORs and NDBs in Europe are being teared down as we speak and navigation between the remaining ones is getting harder and harder. So, if someone was to simulate the 2016 way of flying or owning a Connie, there is, in my opinion, no way to do so without a proper GPS.

Alex
Please be careful of your wording Alex, because that's exactly how your last sentence reads and it is pretty insulting. The plane comes with compatibility with the GTN650, 2 different GNS430s, and the KLN90B, all "proper" GPS units, so there are other options, including one that is free (the KLN90B).

I understand you've made an investment in the GTN750. I have as well. But I also invested in the Mindstar GNS430, and before that, I used the freeware KLN90B for YEARS. I also have no problem flying RNAV SIDs and STARS with the default GNS400 in FSX, including in crowded European airspace. It's not as bad as most people make out. The only problem with it is you can't edit the FP after it's set, but as long as you have it properly setup, it'll fly the plan just fine and you do have access to all the approaches.

Guys, just because "your" GPS isn't supported isn't cause to burn the bridges and declare this a horrible product. A2A has done what it can without major modifications to the plane to give an option of modern GPS units. Unfortunately, the large, 4-slot+ GTN 750 can't be accommodated like that. It needs main panel space, and that means moving or removing other parts. That's not a small task, and not something that A2A has made a habit of doing. The P-51 is the ONLY one they've done to date which has 2 radically separate panels, but then again, they have 2 pretty radically different models that those panels are linked to. The Cessna and Pipers use radio stack space for all their GPS units, so that doesn't count either since you're replacing avionics for avionics. Scott and Rob will discuss it and I would be thrilled if they chose to include it, but at the same time, I understand if they don't because the Breitling Connie, which has a GPS, uses a GNS430 that is mounted on the Glareshield, just as with the A2A Connie.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Mantock wrote:Just read through the manual and scanned back through it a couple of times,

I was specifically looking for the optimal cruise altitude for the Connie, the closest I got where those tables on pages 138 and 139, these hint that the highest cruise is 24,000ft. Am I correct in this assumption?

- Peter
You are correct. In these older airplanes, cruising altitude is determined more by weather and distance than anything else. As long as you're below 88,000 pounds, look for the most favorable winds that's clear of other weather, is within your climb capability for the flight, and head for that altitude. If at any time you can't maintain climb speed and 500FPM climb, then level off a while and climb again once you've burned off some fuel.

For example, flying from San Francisco to Hawaii, the best altitude is probably under 15,000 feet for the whole flight because the prevailing winds start getting really strong above that meaning you could loose 50-100 knots of speed to headwinds, and when your TAS is only ~200 knots, you'll simply never get there. :?

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Looking very nice Team. Great job on the manual. My only "gripe", for lack of better term, is the poor maintenance hanger. :cry: For my simming pleasure it is the mechanical monitoring of engines and systems Accu-Sim does that makes it worth it's weight in gold. I was so hoping for a very in-depth crew chief report with a list of components to monitor as they wear over time. It will be disappointing to be doing a complete engine overhaul when the fuel filter plugs, you loose a cylinder, carburetor wears out, etc. For this reason I will most likely be spending most of my time in my trusted B-17.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to the Connie. We all have our areas of interest in the virtual flying we do and passenger transport is lower on my priority list than for others.

Great job A2A and thanks for yet another masterpiece. 8)

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

McChester
Airman

Post by McChester »

CAPFlyer wrote: Please be careful of your wording Alex, because that's exactly how your last sentence reads and it is pretty insulting. The plane comes with compatibility with the GTN650, 2 different GNS430s, and the KLN90B, all "proper" GPS units, so there are other options, including one that is free (the KLN90B).
Nothing insulting there, you may instead reread my posting ;). My statement was in the direction of the "meh, this is not a magenta line bird"-folks. I did not say that the included GPS units are not sufficient; instead I was pointing out, that flying through any modern airspace in a vintage aircraft without a proper GPS (any will do), is a no go.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The reason for the difference is that it's a different product line. Micro-managing maintenance was something that was done by the crew chief on a military aircraft or an owner of a GA aircraft (or warbird), but airline aircraft are different. The Connie and others had a Flight Engineer who could do small repairs, but they had an entire army of aircraft mechanics who fix the plane separate from the flight crew. As such, the maintenance hangar for the L-049 is the same as in the B377 with some additional reporting for this reason. As an airline captain, your concern isn't the maintenance of the airplane. You may want to know what broke in flight so you can make the right decision on whether to make an emergency landing or not, but if it's bad enough to require repair, the airline is simply going to replace the part wholesale (i.e. swap engines) instead of spending time trying to fix it on the airframe. That way the plane is flying as much as possible and broken parts can be fixed without that pressure on them.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

McChester wrote:Nothing insulting there, you may instead reread my posting ;). My statement was in the direction of the "meh, this is not a magenta line bird"-folks. I did not say that the included GPS units are not sufficient; instead I was pointing out, that flying through any modern airspace in a vintage aircraft without a proper GPS (any will do), is a no go.
But that's not how it reads Alex. It reads like if there's no GTN750 there's no "proper" GPS because that's the only GPS you reference in your thread and in that post. Here's the thing - the reason the Breitling Super Connie is hard to handle has nothing to do with its avionics. That aircraft has an IFR certified (FAA and EASA) GNS430 installed. What it doesn't have is exit slides, rafts, and a 90-second evacuation certification. Because of that, it's not allowed to be IFR certified by EASA. Anywhere else in the world, it'd be fully IFR certified. But because EASA has decided that anything with more than 19 seats has to meet modern transport category aircraft certification standards, anyone who operates older aircraft are hamstrung and kept from being able to fully utilize the airspace.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

CAPFlyer wrote:But that's not how it reads Alex. It reads like if there's no GTN750 there's no "proper" GPS because that's the only GPS you reference in your thread and in that post.
I disagree Chris. I think just as he explained:
McChester wrote:Nothing insulting there, you may instead reread my posting ;). My statement was in the direction of the "meh, this is not a magenta line bird"-folks. I did not say that the included GPS units are not sufficient; instead I was pointing out, that flying through any modern airspace in a vintage aircraft without a proper GPS (any will do), is a no go.
Which, I am sure, is why you see a 750 in Tabitha May. The airspace is getting more and more complicated, and would be wise to have GPS.

It may be some of the previous posts somewhat prejudiced the reading of your post McChester.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

McChester
Airman

Post by McChester »

CAPFlyer wrote:
But that's not how it reads Alex. It reads like if there's no GTN750 there's no "proper" GPS because that's the only GPS you reference in your thread and in that post. Here's the thing - the reason the Breitling Super Connie is hard to handle has nothing to do with its avionics. That aircraft has an IFR certified (FAA and EASA) GNS430 installed. What it doesn't have is exit slides, rafts, and a 90-second evacuation certification. Because of that, it's not allowed to be IFR certified by EASA. Anywhere else in the world, it'd be fully IFR certified. But because EASA has decided that anything with more than 19 seats has to meet modern transport category aircraft certification standards, anyone who operates older aircraft are hamstrung and kept from being able to fully utilize the airspace.
Again, I said " flying through any modern airspace in a vintage aircraft without a proper GPS (any will do), is a no go.". This also applies to VFR. But this has nothing to do with this thread anymore, we can further discuss via PM if you like. At my first posting I only wanted to point out, that flying a Connie 2016-style in central Europe without a GPS would never happen and would not only be unwise but straight out irresponsible.

Alex

P.S.: In case anyone else feels offended by my first posting, I changed it accordingly.

P.P.S.: Thanks Rob :)

Levkovvvv
Staff Sergeant

Post by Levkovvvv »

CAPFlyer, you can get an IFR certificate for planes that don't have life rafts or slides, what you were trying to say is that Connie can't be certified under EASA CS-25 because it fails the things you mentioned (and I reckon many more besides that), since criteria is fairly strict. They probably certify them as experimental in the US, but EASA doesn't have that category, so I really don't know how they fly it, probably some special national permits to fly. And as far as FAA and EASA regulations, CS-25 is almost word by word copy of FAR part-25 :D :D
Image Владимир Левков / Vladimir Levkov
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

FWIW, I didn't read McChester's post as demand for a 750, more as a generic statement that a GPS, any GPS, is needed for operations in modern airspace. I'd agree. Equally nice if anybody decides to ignore modern airspace and simulate vintage navigation. Actually, I'm hoping that at some point, Milviz will come out with an open version of the radio range simulation they developed for their new T-50. I'm not sure if that's relevant to the Connie - I get the impression that Connies were doing early VOR and ADF navigation, not radio ranges - but it'd be nice in general to try out some 30's/40's regional nav.

About cruising altitude - this article (it's been linked here before, but it's relevant to this discussion) describes an early BOAC transatlantic 049 flight at a time when there were pressurization issues that led to altitude restrictions. They were westbound at 5,500-6,000, and eastbound at 10,000 or under. Not ideal, but possible. Lots of options with these aircraft.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

SpitfireMelodeon
Senior Airman

Post by SpitfireMelodeon »

I expect the team have put in a lot of sweat to try and get the Connie out before Christmas.

Thank you to them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

SpitfireMelodeon wrote:I expect the team have put in a lot of sweat to try and get the Connie out before Christmas.

Thank you to them.
+1
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”