A2A Connie manuals online

The "Queen of the Skies"
ianwild
Airman Basic

Re: A2A Connie manuals online

Post by ianwild »

If there was a Connie flying in any serious way now I would think it would have a GPS. I don't think the authenticity of my Texan T6 experience is impacted by using the 650 to fly an LPV approach here and there - I still fly the VOR and ILS approaches too. Having the 650 as an option is cool by me and if I hadn't already made that purchase I probably would in order to have a GPS available in the Connie. Each to their own I guess.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

ResidentEVO wrote:I'll take a GPS over an ADF any day. No reason not to, ever, in today's world.
Personally in the sim, I like both.

I had a blast one year on a Sim-Outhouse challenge flying the B377 from Australia to Argentina -- island hopping just using NDBs. The trepidation watching the ADF needle, knowing you were soon to be out of range from the NDB behind you - and you best have your course wired for the next couple of hours. Then there was the anxiety waiting for the ADF to come alive again using the station (that was supposed to be) ahead of you. You knew *exactly* how many miles the NDB's range -- was your dead reckoning correct? A couple seconds have gone by... why isn't the needle alive? A lot of fun, and satisfaction when that needle did come alive right off the nose and within a handful, or so, seconds from the estimated time.

GPS can relieve some workload and allow one to enjoy other aspects of the flight.

Yeah... to each their own. :)

Edit: "j-me" posted a pic a while back of the Breitling Connie... it does look like the Garmin 530. I think it is a good thing to have the option. For whatever that's worth.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Yes, a gps is a wonderful luxury in todays world and having the option is a wonderful thing. Yes radio navigation is almost a lost art that is fun to try and stay proficient at. But all of the debates aside, there have not been any screenshots showing how and where the gps units are modeled and rightfully, depending on the location depicted, there may indeed be no room for the 750. Of course the GTN units can be run as a pop up window, but I do understand the desire to have it integrated. For me it is not a deal breaker as I invested in the GTN units, both models, for both sim platforms. Gps units do fail, and at the worst times, so I try to keep my navigation skills sharp. 8)

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Kimo wrote:Looking forward to the release.
A GTN750 in Connie would look horrible IMHO. A small gps will be fine.
Well it would mean an extra 60 bucks for me so I pass.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

I always look forward to a new A2A aircraft manual and this one didn't disappoint. Read through the history in real time and enjoyed all the information presented, great job. Speed read the rest and found many items that I am not familiar with which can only mean a good time will be had going through the learning process on this sweet looking aircraft. Looking forward to the new Accu-sim tidbits, finding my way with the navigator and working with the co-pilot and engineer to fly the best flights that I can. What a treat this new offering will be. :mrgreen:

If I feel the need to add the upgraded 650 later I will think about it after becoming accomplished doing it the old fashioned way. :wink:
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Warbirds wrote:
Kimo wrote:Looking forward to the release.
A GTN750 in Connie would look horrible IMHO. A small gps will be fine.
Well it would mean an extra 60 bucks for me so I pass.
You could always start by setting it up with the default GPS, which is a lot less terrible than people make it out to be. Move up to the 650 at some later point - sort of like a real-world upgrade path.

Re: having a GPS in a vintage airplane - I'm always of two minds about it, because of course it's anachronistic and that can kill immersion. There's something nice about practicing the old craft and it's good to have a grounding in that. There have been times when I've used a pop-up GPS in the Stratocruiser, and there are times when I swap it out and go it old school.

On the other hand, especially in a modern airspace simulation, it's nice to have more tools available. Which doesn't mean being enslaved by them. I'd never couple a 650 to the Connie's autopilot. But it can be really nice to rely on the vcalc function to set up one of those long, slow descents. I remember flying the A2A B-17 on a minimums day, being given an RNAV approach and thinking, yeah, it'd be nice if I could take advantage of that.

When I read about the early days of commercial aviation (think Ernie Gann), I'm always torn between "wow, those guys really had serious skills, something has been lost" and "wow, those guys killed a lot of passengers in ways that wouldn't happen today." So I think about that and get a little less romantic about things like reporting points.

Lesson from the Civilian Mustang - it's still a Mustang. So I'm guessing that a Connie with a GTN 650 is still a Connie.

Now, back to important stuff - I've really got to learn how those control boost levers work...

EDIT: Over in the dedicated 750 thread, Scott said this: "We didn't support the 750 only because of the difficulty fitting it in. We're not opposed to taking another look at what is possible with it, but until I speak more in depth with Rob about it, we can't make any promises." With an eye toward the "can't make any promises," it still might be worth hanging in for a future panel revision, if lack of a 750 is a deal-breaker.

jeepinforfun wrote: I always look forward to a new A2A aircraft manual and this one didn't disappoint.
Love the manuals. Like small, well written books. This one is a lot better than some of the Connie books on my shelf.

Happily digging in...
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

jclay13
Senior Airman

Post by jclay13 »

I try to make a point to stay out of stuff like this and I'm sure I'll take some heat for stating this but I'm going to state my opinion since others are stating their opinions regarding this topic.

I don't think it's fair to A2A to come out of the gate complaining about the 750 not being supported and in the A2A forum state you aren't going to buy it because of a feature it doesn't have. I think we can all agree that a lot of hard work goes into creating the one of a kind products like A2A does and to complain before it is even released is not fair to A2A. If a product doesn't have a feature you want politely ask if it can be added and let A2A respond before publicly stating you aren't going to support them and buy the product.

Scott stated in another thread, "We didn't support the 750 only because of the difficulty fitting it in. We're not opposed to taking another look at what is possible with it, but until I speak more in depth with Rob about it, we can't make any promises."

It is evident there was a reason why the 750 is not supported on initial release. We've all been so excited for the release let's celebrate that it's almost here and embrace the wonderful product we all know it will be. Okay I'm done and that was my opinion.

Jon

addman
Staff Sergeant

Post by addman »

Yeah, Scott gave the reason why it isn't implemented and that it MAY change in the future. Frankly, if you can't fly the A2A Constellation without the GTN 750 then why bother with the Constellation at all? There are plenty of other planes to fly with the GTN 750 out there, grab one of those instead and be happy. I also like to use the GPS for navigating the Stratocruiser but I would never value the GPS higher then the plane itself. The idea strikes me as weird.

Cheers!/Andreas
Cheers!/Andreas

Levkovvvv
Staff Sergeant

Post by Levkovvvv »

Of course GPS in the real world makes it easier and safer. But most of us are sitting in the simulator hoping for an engine failure half the time :D That basically means that safe or easy are not our top priorities.
Great Ozzie wrote: Can you say, "Tabitha May"?
Tabitha May. I just said it ;) Can you say "FIFI"? They removed her superchargers and pressurization system because they don't fly at high altitudes any more. Now, if A2A did that to the Connie, the reaction here would probably be comparable to the Boston Tea Party xD To each his own of course, but in the sim, I prefer vintage planes in the state as close as possible to when they left the factory :D

Btw, manual is awesome, whoever put in the "In any event, I love Boeing’s “Strats,” too (and also Fender’s)" line has a special thumbs up from me :D ;)
Image Владимир Левков / Vladimir Levkov
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Woohoo I will be all over this tonight. :D

Thank you, can't wait for the release :D

Neon

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

I am really excited 8)

I also hope, for A2A, that the "untapped audience" Scott was talking about during the announcement interview, will show up :?
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

eker
Senior Airman

Post by eker »

Great read!
(Short browse through the pages)
:D

BTW.
I hate GPS.
Takes away all skill and excitement from a flight.
Diving down through clouds without knowing exactly where you are, is the fun part of the sim.

McChester
Airman

Post by McChester »

I opened up a thread about the missing GTN750, not realizing that there was already a discussion going on about it. And while I agree about the fact that flying the Connie with a GPS is almost blasphemy, I want to point something out:

There is 'vintage realistic' and there is 'modern realistic'. While flying a vintage plane with classic radio navigation is fine and all, I, as a RL ATC, prefer to fly routes that are realistic and I do care about things like airspace structure. The Breitling Super Connie (which I had on the frequency many times), is not IFR equipped (or at least not certified) and the airspace structure in central Europe is so complicated that staying outside TMAs and such without a GPS is virtually impossible. Also, many VORs and NDBs in Europe are being teared down as we speak and navigation between the remaining ones is getting harder and harder. So, if someone was to simulate the 2016 way of flying or owning a Connie, there is, in my opinion, no way to do so without a proper GPS (any will do, not just a 750).

Alex
Last edited by McChester on 23 Dec 2016, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

joers182
Senior Airman

Post by joers182 »

Getting all hyped up for the release. It looks like an amazing aircraft and the manual is a great read. For the people who like gps, don't forget the excellent freeware rendition of the kln90 which is supported.
Joe W

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok guys why don't we wait till the product is actually released before we start complaining about possible configurations? As far as I can see there will be the options of No GPS and GPS (even if the GTN750 is supported at the moment). So again it looks like A2A was able to give us as many options as possible which I personally appreciate a lot. I don't know of any other developer who does that.

Just my two cents
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “Lockheed Model 049 Constellation”