RXP GTN 650 and Texan problem

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
doksas
Airman

RXP GTN 650 and Texan problem

Post by doksas »

Hello to all,

My A2A Texan not follow gps at all, i have updated RXP, updated Texan, GTN 650 is in VC everything work, click,diplay, button, but as i say not follow GPS when is in nav mode.

in NAV mode Texan everytime go on 360 course, when change to hdg mode plane go on selected hdg , but when again switch autopilot to nav mode, plane back to course 360 for ever... of course nav is set to gps

C172, Bonanza, Connie nad Comanche not have this problem, only Texan...

Also, i noticed all my other A2A planes have "inop" on gps/nav switch when install RXP GTN only Texan not have inop, maybe is there problem ?

P3D v5.3hf2 , Win10, Texan academic

Any solutions please ?

Kind regards

doksas
Airman

Re: RXP GTN 650 and Texan problem

Post by doksas »

No one use RXP GTN with Texan ?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Doksas: I flew my A2A T-6 Texan today with the MIsfits MP Squadron and used my RXP GTN 650. I replied to your PM on AvSim either today or yesterday (it's all a blur). Take a look at that.

Thank you
ATB

doksas
Airman

Post by doksas »

Paughco thanks, but, there is not my problem with Texan.
GTN is installed on Texan and work, also all button work, but, autopilot in NAV mode not follow GPS at all.
When i click right mouse on autopilot to activate NAV ( of course switch is set to GPS and flight plan is in GTN) , plane going only on course 360 degrees forever and autopilot show 0 ( zero) like without flight plan... there is my problem...

doksas
Airman

Post by doksas »

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Doksas: OK, I think I understand your situation. That is, you've got your GTN 650 working in the T-6, but you can't get it to communicate with the autopilot in such a way as to make the airplane follow a flight plan. I don't think I can help you with that one, as I have never gotten my T-6 autopilot to follow a flight plan, either with my GTN 650, or even back when I was using the default GPS.

I flew my T-6 yesterday, with the A2A Misfit Squadron (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=73414). I had the flight plan loaded into my GTN, and used it for guidance, plus for terrain avoidance. I used the autopilot on some of the longer legs by clicking on the left or right buttons, or sometimes turning the autopilot off and hand-flying the airplane to the next course heading. I didn't let the airplane have all the fun; sometimes I turned off the autopilot and did a couple rolls or a loop (almost spun out at the top on one of 'em).

One cool thing though, was as we approached our destination. I selected a visual approach to Rwy 26R on the GTN and the needles on the VOR indicator worked, both for azimuth and slope. That helped me to not do my usual thing of overshooting my turn from base to final. I was able to get the airplane on the ground in one piece.

A final thought: Take a look at the Reality XP GTN User's Manual and see if maybe there's a setting on the configuration panel (page 5) that will enable the autopilot on your T-6 to accept course headings from the GTN 650. Please post here when you figure it out.

Thank you
ATB

doksas
Airman

Post by doksas »

Very strange, my Texan work perfect with default GPS, just load flight plan in SIM and activate NAV with right click on left or right button ( heading button). But yes, with RXP there is problem and always plane going to 360 degrees when is on NAV mode...

Also, i read RXP manual and trying every settings combination, GPS to HSI, or to VOR etc but not work...

I try to change 2 files from this topic viewtopic.php?f=130&t=70002

but same problem exist...

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Hi doksas,

I was sucked in by earlier reports of guys who had the GTN650 installed in the T-6, so installed it in mine but didn't check to see if it actually worked. I went for some tests last night and you are correct in that it does not link to the AP. I initially just made a flight plan on LNM and loaded it in the GTN and noted that the AP did not recognize it by lack of the flashing -F- indicating that the AP sees the FP. Next, I put the same flight plan in the P3D Flight Planner and headed out again. This time the AP did recognize that there was an active flight plan and it did flash the -F- indicator. I thought I had it licked and right clicked to connect, but the AP still would not follow the track.

My feeling is that the unique and simple nature of the T-6 AP does not allow it to track the GTN course, but as in your situation, the AP tracks the default GPS400 just fine. I think there's something missing in the AP code, but that would certainly be a question for A2A tech support.

Hopefully someone will drop in to this thread with input, but until then I'm thinking if you want a fully functioning AP in the T-6, the only option is the default GPS. If you're ok following the NAV track with HDG mode, that'll be all you get from the GTN...for now at least.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Sooooo...Hello A2A!!!

Nick/Lewis - any chance someone could have a look at this and let us know if it will might be possible to look into making the GTN650 fully useable in the T-6 or are we stuck with the default GNS400 as far as connection to the AP goes?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

doksas
Airman

Post by doksas »

Just be patient, i am on this forum few years and Lewis or Nick will be there when found time and/or solution for this problem, A2A is All star team :wink:

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

doksas wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 16:38 Just be patient, i am on this forum few years and Lewis or Nick will be there when found time and/or solution for this problem, A2A is All star team :wink:
I know, me too and I agree! They're so responsive to tech questions in general that it's their own fault I'm impatient about answers for tech issues...super patient about MSFS stuff though, if that counts...? :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi doksas,

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been a bit tied up with some other stuff lately, but back home now and reunited with my flight sim PC.

I actually had to consult the T-6 manual myself on this one as it's a while since I've used the simulated Digitrak autopilot, but the answer to your question is on page 81 at top right.

"If a GPS flight plan is available, then -F- indication will flash periodically on the autopilot’s screen. Note: in the flight simulator this is visible only if the flight plan is loaded in the flight planner. 3rd party GPS gauges don’t provide information about [the] flight plan to our software."

I just loaded up the T-6 for myself and confirmed this behaviour. With a flight plan loaded in the P3D flight planner, the Digitrak will follow it, but not one loaded in the GTN. I guess the only workaround would be to replicate your GTN flight plan in the P3D flight planner. Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but hope it answers your query.

Best regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Nick - A2A wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 07:42 "If a GPS flight plan is available, then -F- indication will flash periodically on the autopilot’s screen. Note: in the flight simulator this is visible only if the flight plan is loaded in the flight planner. 3rd party GPS gauges don’t provide information about [the] flight plan to our software."

I just loaded up the T-6 for myself and confirmed this behaviour. With a flight plan loaded in the P3D flight planner, the Digitrak will follow it, but not one loaded in the GTN. I guess the only workaround would be to replicate your GTN flight plan in the P3D flight planner. Probably not the answer you were hoping for, but hope it answers your query.

Best regards,
Nick
Hi Nick! That's the path I took in trouble shooting and did figure out that the GTN flight plan has to be duplicated in the P3D Flight Planner for the Digitrak to recognize it, but after right clicking to connect, upon receiving the -F- indication, the AP did not follow the flight plan track. I'd be absolutely fine with that solution if it worked for me...confirm that you tested it with the GTN650? I know that it works fine with the default GPS400, so I'm wondering if the bolded part of the statement above means that the Digitrak will recognize that there's a plan in the Flight Planner but has no way to track it if it cannot receive the tracking (or any) information from the GTN. But if it works for you... :?

Off to testing...

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Rob,

Hmm - sorry, you might be right. So far I've only tested with the default GPS to confirm the flight plan following was working as expected. I'd assumed the autopilot was capable of following the flight plan which should still exist in the default GPS, even if its not visible (i.e. if the GTN is used instead) but based on your info, this may not be the case. I'll do some more testing too in a bit.

Just out of interest are you using the F1 or RXP version of the GTN?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Hi Nick,

I'm using the RXP version and the configurator is set up exactly as I have it set for my Civ Mustang, which works brilliantly!

I tested it for a bit again yesterday and it definitely doesn't work for me. The RXP GTN650 sends all the proper information to the airplane instruments, but I'm now convinced that the Digitrak is not capable of getting any course deviation information from the GTN. It appears to know that there is a flight plan in the system but can't track it.

Oh well, it's back to the GNS400 for AP coupled nav tracking functions I guess, but I'm good with that. Honestly, I love the GTN in the Mustang because it's front and centre in the panel, but in the T-6 I can't read it just by looking down without zooming in anyway, so I figure if I can't read the GTN650 I might as well not read the GNS400 either if it allows for nav tracking... :wink: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”