CTD when switching views

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
JonBailey
Airman Basic

CTD when switching views

Post by JonBailey »

I updated to P3Dv5.2 and the only issue I have been having is with the T-6 Texan.

After engine start, and it seems to be running rougher than before , if I hit the "S" to switch views, the sim will force a hard restart of the system.Instant shutdown and restart (no choice to the user) If I don't start the engine, then I can switch views all day long. It only happens after the engine is running . And there is no crash report in windows event viewer, other than the system shut down abnormally.

Troubleshooting steps I have taken.

Uninstalled and deleted every folder related to the T-6 Texan.

Uninstalled P3Dv5.2, and , deleted user generated files and shaders, then did a complete re-install of P3dv5.2
it is a vanilla P3Dv5.2 as well, no other addons. Still crashing with a hard reset when switching views.

made sure the latest video driver is installed. rolled back to a previous driver. same results.

Re-installed the Texan with a fresh download

The Connie, B-17, P-40, and Bonanza all work perfectly.

System specs
Windows 10 64bit
i7-7700 intel 3.60 cpu not overclocked
32gb RAM
GTX 1080ti with 11gb vram

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon Bailey

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: CTD when switching views

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Jon - welcome and thanks for the detailed info.

I wonder if the issue you're encountering is related to the sim crashing while trying to render smoke effects? I say this because you mention the engine "seems to be running rougher than before" and that the CTD happens when you change to the external view, whereupon the sim would start loading these *.fx files.

Please can you check the general condition of the engine in the Shift 7 maintenance hangar and fix any issue that are shown. If the issue persists, it might be worth ruling out the smoke effects completely by (temporarily) renaming the entire A2A effects folder so that the various smoke*.fx files aren't actually loaded. To do this, simply change the name of the following folder and see if the CTD still happens.

C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons\A2A\Effects

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

JonBailey
Airman Basic

Post by JonBailey »

Hi Nick

Thanks for the troubleshooting path. So after trying what you said

I replaced the t6*.fx files, then replaced them one by one.

With the .*.fx files removed the T-6 doesn't crash when switching views. It seems to be the "Airshow" smoke that seems to be the culprit. Which isn't a big deal.

On my system 5.1 to the update at 5.2, p3dv5.2 doesn't like the airshow smoke. If that helps at all for troubleshooting great.

I'll just make sure I don't use the the airshow smoke.

Thanks for the help Nick

Jon

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the update and glad that we seem to have found the culprit. For what it's worth, I just tested the T-6 in my freshly installed copy of v5.2 with the smoke generator on with no issues, but it could be that rendering the extra particle effects is pushing your system just over the edge. Or it could be there's a particular setting in P3D that's related too, for example something like casting shadows from particles which is probably best left deselected.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

JonBailey
Airman Basic

Post by JonBailey »

Thanks Nick

I think it is the particle shadows. LM is going to address it in the hot fix for 5.2.

I appreciate the help. I'll check the shadows when I get back off the road for work in a few weeks.

Jon

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Jon. Interested to hear how you get on once the next P3D hotfix is released.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”