heading indicator interfering with Trutrak in flight plan mode

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

heading indicator interfering with Trutrak in flight plan mode

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

today I took my new T6 for her maiden flight from the manufacturer and did some flight testing. In doing so I realized the heading indicator is interfering with the autopilot in flight plan mode: When turning the HI knob the plane banks away the amount of degrees one adjusts the HI. It seems to me the Trutrak here uses the HI instead of the GPS track what shouldn't be the case if I've got that right from the A2A manual.

Furthermore the question is what will happen if you fly long GPS legs and do not correct the HI for gyro drift. Do you miss your waypoints/destination in flight plan mode?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: heading indicator interfering with Trutrak in flight plan mode

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Zacke wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 11:53 Hey guys,

today I took my new T6 for her maiden flight from the manufacturer and did some flight testing. In doing so I realized the heading indicator is interfering with the autopilot in flight plan mode: When turning the HI knob the plane banks away the amount of degrees one adjusts the HI. It seems to me the Trutrak here uses the HI instead of the GPS track what shouldn't be the case if I've got that right from the A2A manual.

Furthermore the question is what will happen if you fly long GPS legs and do not correct the HI for gyro drift. Do you miss your waypoints/destination in flight plan mode?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke
I was perplexed when I first saw this and didn't understand, so I went our last night to try it with my Harvard. Sure enough, it's fine in the basic GPS ground track mode and adjustment of the Heading Indicator has no bearing on the tracking function. However, when coupled to a GPS flight plan I see the exact behaviour you're describing. I don't think it should be that way but someone much (or a little bit) smarter than I should confirm. For now I'd say it's in the same category as the guy who went to the doctor complaining that "It hurts when I do this"...the doctor's response, "Don't do that..." :wink:

The answer to the second part of your question is that the HI seems to be well slaved after it's been set according to the compass initially, so you won't need to adjust for gyro drift. I've never re-set mine after the pre-flight checks and have flown lots of long GPS legs with no issue.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thanks for your reply and your confirmation, Rob.

Any of the devs reading that issue with the described interferencing HI described above? Would be very nice to have that one sorted out. It seems to function in a wrong way actually.

The second one: I*m using still FSX:SE and have gyro drift enabled. The HI and the in manual so called remote compass do actually drift a lot in my case. I've never got the exact function/purpose of the remote compass: Some say it's coupled to a flux gate but it does drift!

For the moment I've no access to my PC system so I can*t do any further testing.

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Zacke,

I asked Michał K about this one, and apparently it's a compromise to allow the autopilot to work with GPS flight plans. As you say this behaviour wouldn't actually be seen with the real unit, but I hope it's not too troubling for you.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Nick, thanks for your reply.

Good to know the background and yes: I can live with that. :)

Regards,
Zacke

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”