T-6 Throttle backfires and sensivity

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Yarrik
Airman

T-6 Throttle backfires and sensivity

Post by Yarrik »

Hi everybody, today i was trying my t6, i studied well the aircraft and i learnt a lot, i learnt that throttle is very hard to use, you have to use it smoothly and slow, anyway i was going around during a landing and needed immediate full power, obviously occured backfire and loss of power, i know that i have to apply power with caution, but this is very problematic when you need full power in time......now, anybody has tips or tricks to use the power without backfire or loss of power ? for example suggestions on mantainance, run up, ground test that may help.... thanks

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: T-6 Throttle backfires and sensivity

Post by bobsk8 »

If you approach is stable, you shouldn't need drastic changes in power.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

The T6 requires a bit more planning on approach than your ordinary GA type airplane. Power use is part of this equation. Over the fence you should be at your perfect setup for entering flare. This means airspeed where it should be and throttle EASED BACK to idle as the flare begins.
If for some reason you need to go around you will be coming out of idle power into a power up. The way you handle the throttle here will determine whether or not you get a back fire. The key is SMOOTH and this might mean a bit smoother than you think it needs to be. If the engine is backfiring on you it is telling you you didn't plan ahead enough for the go around. In other words you went too deep into the flare or landing before using power with the result being you throttle use was too fast.
PLANNING is the key ! Make your decision early. This gives you a longer time line between idle and full power. Be gentle on the throttle at all times in the T6.
Practice makes perfect in this aircraft. Just keep asking yourself on approach how things are going.......how does it look.........am I where I need to be..........airspeed right over the fence?
PLANNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck !
Dudley Henriques

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

bobsk8 wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 19:06 If you approach is stable, you shouldn't need drastic changes in power.
Advice about the need for a stabilised approach is wonderful, but doesn't address the OP's question about the unrealistic tendency for the engine to stumble and/or backfire with every minute advancement of the throttle at ... other ... than ... a ... snail's ... pace ......

The issue also exists while trying to ease the throttle up at cruise or better yet, while formation flying...which, during gusty conditions quite often requires other than snail's pace movement of the throttle. Please note that I love this airplane like a soulmate and did try to apply the advise on the forum to just get used to it...185 hours later and it still catches me at times and I sincerely believe that the effect should be toned down a bunch in some future update. Note also that I'm speaking from my own experiences of hanging around dozens of Harvards for a period of 15 years or so, during which I acquired about 400 hours in five different Harvards. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it would have been impossible to have flown formation with a throttle that was as ultra sensitive as the one in the A2A Harvard. The only backfires I ever heard were a couple of times during cold start attempts and I never had an warmed up engine stumble during a go around or at any other time.

Maybe Mk IV Harvards are different in some respect, but I don't think so and if my RL Harvard behaved like that to the extent that the A2A one does, I'd be having a serious talk with my mechanic...just sayin'...... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”