T6 ground handling like tricycle gear

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

T6 ground handling like tricycle gear

Post by Oracle427 »

Do I'm going the T6 and doing patterns and find that the ground handing is like a tricycle gear.

If I firmly press the on the left or right brake on the landing rollout and then let go and do absolutely nothing the airplane straightens out and told down the runway.

If I shove the rudder hard left or right and let the plane yaw several degrees and then let go of the rudder it straightens right up. This is whether the tail is up in a two point attitude or down in a three point attitude.

I've checked my control settings and can't figure out what is wrong.

I'm using FSX Acceleration with Saitek rudder pedals. Auto rudder is off.

Any ideas appreciated!
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: T6 ground handling like tricycle gear

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
1/. Does it behave the same while taxiing , if stick pushed fwd or back or does the tail wheel stay connected to rudder.
2/. did you change the nosewheel steering angle in the Aircraft.cfg ground contacts section.
3/. do you have any control setup clashes .
4/. are controls setup in sim or FSUIPC paid version.
regards alan. 8)

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Wish I could get my T6 to behave that way :wink:
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

This sounds like an interesting one Dave. Is this a new installation of the T-6? Just wondering if this is your first experience with the add-on.

Also, which other add-ons do you have running when you encounter this behaviour?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 12:53 This sounds like an interesting one Dave. Is this a new installation of the T-6? Just wondering if this is your first experience with the add-on.

Also, which other add-ons do you have running when you encounter this behaviour?

Thanks,
Nick
He said auto rudder is off, but it sure sounds like it is on to me.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

I have similar experience. It is as stable as any tricycle. Not even the slightest tendency to ground loop or need to "dance on the pedals". I've always thought it is supposed to be that way... :shock:

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

ilya1502 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:40 I have similar experience. It is as stable as any tricycle. Not even the slightest tendency to ground loop or need to "dance on the pedals". I've always thought it is supposed to be that way... :shock:
When you get the problem corrected, you will be in for a real shock on your first crosswind landings.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

bobsk8 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 13:49 When you get the problem corrected, you will be in for a real shock on your first crosswind landings.
I wish I knew how to... :(

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 10:32 Hi.
1/. Does it behave the same while taxiing , if stick pushed fwd or back or does the tail wheel stay connected to rudder.
2/. did you change the nosewheel steering angle in the Aircraft.cfg ground contacts section.
3/. do you have any control setup clashes .
4/. are controls setup in sim or FSUIPC paid version.
regards alan. 8)
1) if I pay the stick forward it definitely unlocks the tailwheel, but keep in mind that I get stability with the tailwheel of the ground.
2) Never edited any of these files on A2A aircraft
3) I can check, but it would be strange if a control clash can improve stability like this to be honest
4) I don't use FSUIPC, don't own it.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 12:53 This sounds like an interesting one Dave. Is this a new installation of the T-6? Just wondering if this is your first experience with the add-on.

Thanks,
Nick
This is an old install, but I hadn't used it for a while. I am up to date with all patches. I broke it out after flying a Stearman and wanting to fly some more serious tailwheel. :)

I am quite familiar with the dance, and was hoping for more of the same.

Only add ons I use are Active Sky Next and Accufeel. I have no other add ons.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Tested again, this time pushing forward on the stick while rolling out after landing and it is less stable but doesn't quite want to lose control if I stop applying rudder. It will keep going off the side at least. With the stick held back, the tailwheel is very effective at arresting any tendency to ground loop.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Oracle427 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 17:43 Tested again, this time pushing forward on the stick while rolling out after landing and it is less stable but doesn't quite want to lose control if I stop applying rudder. It will keep going off the side at least. With the stick held back, the tailwheel is very effective at arresting any tendency to ground loop.
Which sim are you using and which version?
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

FSXA. Correction, it does keep yawing if I hold the stick forward, but the yawing ceases pretty much if I pull stick back. The tailwheel is very "grabby" and able to correct for a lot of bad behavior.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I have not flown the texan recently , but will try and make some time to test on my FSXA sim , i have CH rudder peddals , if i remember correctly saitek used to come with a calibration program , have you tested your peddals to see if they are set up and working correctly as per A2A recomended settings.
regards alan. 8)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Just tested mine.
taxiing test
1. stick fwd open throttle till aircraft moves , L or R brake aircraft turns in that direction till oposite or both brakes applied.
2. with stick back or center L or R brake applied turns in correct direction till brake released then goes straight ahead in whichever direction its in when tailwheel straightens

takeoff run tailwheel off ground
1/. rudder applied L or R aircraft swings in correct direction.
2/. if rudder neautral aircraft swings slightly in prop direction till rudder correction applied.
3/. if L or R brake applied aircraft swing in correct direction and straightens in whichever direction you end in on brake release.

What controllers do you use for ail/ele/rud , are the rudder peddals new , does your ail/ele controller have a twist control for rudder.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”