T6 ground handling like tricycle gear

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: T6 ground handling like tricycle gear

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Oracle.
I have my controls going through FSUIPC , so i can set my aircraft up differently , so big heavy iron needs lots of effort to control , and light aircraft easy on controls , i look at videos of the real aircraft and try to find handling info , so i can match my aircraft responses as near to these as possible.
I find on my T-6 i need very little rudder imput for a ballanced turn , but the B17 needs lots of rudder.
I have a CH yoke and rudder peddles , and check my CH controls from time to time in the CH control manager for calibration.
I have accidently in the past caught a control wheel on my yoke , and it changed the centre position , this is why i asked what yoke or stick you had , incase you might have caught this to change your neutral position.
I believe my T-6 behaves correctly as discribed in my test post earlier.
regards alan. 8)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Alan,

What happens when you
1 Accelerate to at least 40 mph straight down the runway with the stick held full back and remaining in a three point attitude.
2 set the throttle to idle
3 step hard right rudder and slow the aircraft to yaw about 5 degrees and wait for the tires to start making that sideloaded slipping sound
4 release the rudder pedals back to neutral and keep the stick held back the entire time

Does the aircraft stop turning and then track straight with no further action or does it continue to yaw faster and continue go out of control?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Oracle.
As i excellerate down the runway , at about 20mph , the aircraft starts pulling left from prop torque , so R/rudder imput needed to correct this , all the time with stick full back , at 40MPH kick R/rudder with throttle at idle , tyre squeal , release rudder to neutral , aircraft initially keeps going right , then over corrects left momentary , then goes straight in whatever direction you end up in when she settles straight.
I can only get the aircraft to continue to yaw L/R at slow taxi speed with stick pushed FWD , untill oposite brake or both brakes are pushed as the tail wheel is no longer connected to rudder with stick fwd.
regards alan. 8)

P.S.
i forgot to ask , what was your fuel load and front/rear seat and baggage weights during your test , mine was fuel = full L/R tanks fwd seat pilot at 170 rear seat empty baggage 22 oil/hyd/smk full

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Alan,

IIRC, by the time I card testing it should have been a 150lb front pilot, no passenger with 25 gals per side and no smoke oil.

That behaves similarly to my test, though I don't get the overcorrection. Either way, it's not at all what I'm expecting to see happen which is why I inquired. Thanks for checking and posting the result.

My desire was to try and identify if I had a control config issue that was causing this behavior, but it does not appear to be the case. I can accept that it is a sim engine limitation, so no worries there. I'll keep doing wheel landings for proper practice with the footwork! :)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Oracle.
I read somewhere that a min of 22lbs in baggage if just a front pilot used , thats why i always use that weight, also i was asking what stick/yoke you use , as my CH yoke has a trim wheel , left of shaft , this off sets the stick elevator neutral point , i caught mine accidently once , and it gave me some awkward moments , till i found the issue in the CH control manager.
regards alan. 8)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

MS sidewinder precision pro
Saitek rudder pedals
Saitek throttle quadrant
TrackIR

The controls are calibrated.

My issue is not with instability however. It does exactly what I ask of it all too well, but only when landing three point. It's no fun when it doesn't require any input to make it track straight! :)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Oracle.
MS sidewinder precision pro , that is taking me back , i still have my MS sidewinder Force feedback , just cannot use it till i can convert it to USB , these sticks have a rudder twist , so now you have rudder peddles , what have you re assigned the rudder twist to do , else you could end up with a conflict of controls , i also found my force feedback had a large dead zone , in comparison to my CH yoke.
regards alan. 8)

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

The twist function not mapped to anything. There is no forcre feedback on this unit as it's the regular Sidewinder. There is no perceptible Mill done on this stick which is why I keep using it. The smallest amount of pressure cause a response on calibration. It is very precise though I do wish the amount of stick travel was larger.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”