T-6 prop blades fold backwards over the cowl. Why?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
JonB
Airman

T-6 prop blades fold backwards over the cowl. Why?

Post by JonB »

Just purchased the T-6 for FSX today and installed it. Ran into an odd reaction when attempting an engine start; namely, whenever I push the starter pedal the prop starts to turn and then immediately the blades fold back over the cowl, looking as if I had just made a gear-up landing. Even if I open a T-6 in flight mode, the props spin around slowly with the blades folded back over the cowl....no power, no nothin'. Boom..on the ground! Strange behavior to say the least! :shock:

Wondering if this behavior is built in or am I doing something wrong or omitting doing something I should.
Must add here that I haven't had the opportunity to wade through the manual yet and check out procedures and I do plan to....but this is so unusual that I had to jump in and ask somebody about it. What gives, can anybody clue me in???
JonB :?: :?: :?:

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Re: T-6 prop blades fold backwards over the cowl. Why?

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

Make sure the gear switch is in the down position before starting. Follow. the. checklist.

A-26Invader
Staff Sergeant

Post by A-26Invader »

Get the gear in the down and locked position, save the game, load it again and then completely overhaul the airplane in the maintenance hangar. A brand new installed airplane will have issues such as this.
Last edited by A-26Invader on 04 Jan 2018, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

JonB
Airman

Post by JonB »

" issues such as"... or such issues as the one you are experiencing? Did something get cut off?

Either way.. thanks for the tip guys...I'll try the one about the gear and see if that helps. Can't help wondering how the gear and prop are connected but perhaps that has something to do with the way the sim acft. was programmed ?!? :?
Either way thanks for the responses.
JonB :)

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

The gear and prop are connected in that if the gear goes up while you're on the ground, the prop will strike the ground :P So it's a good idea to make sure that your sim is configured properly (having a non-default flight set is a common cause) to avoid this happening under otherwise normal circumstances.

JonB
Airman

Post by JonB »

Maint hangar and a checked "complete overhaul" did it. Don't know why the acft had so many discrepancies when opened for the first time, but the Maint. guys solved the bent prop problem.
So...many thanks for that tip. :)

JonB

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”