T-6 prop blades fold backwards over the cowl. Why?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
JonB
Airman

T-6 prop blades fold backwards over the cowl. Why?

Post by JonB »

Just purchased the T-6 for FSX today and installed it. Ran into an odd reaction when attempting an engine start; namely, whenever I push the starter pedal the prop starts to turn and then immediately the blades fold back over the cowl, looking as if I had just made a gear-up landing. Even if I open a T-6 in flight mode, the props spin around slowly with the blades folded back over the cowl....no power, no nothin'. Boom..on the ground! Strange behavior to say the least! :shock:

Wondering if this behavior is built in or am I doing something wrong or omitting doing something I should.
Must add here that I haven't had the opportunity to wade through the manual yet and check out procedures and I do plan to....but this is so unusual that I had to jump in and ask somebody about it. What gives, can anybody clue me in???
JonB :?: :?: :?:

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: T-6 prop blades fold backwards over the cowl. Why?

Post by Oracle427 »

I would try fixing the prop in the maintenance hangar first and then try again to see if it breaks again.

Also, you have posted this question in the P51 forum. So it could get overlooked by accident.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

JonB
Airman

Post by JonB »

Oops! Sorry about the wrong forum. It was gettin' late and I didn't notice that I had the P-51 forum. :oops:

Thanks for the maint. shop tip. I'll give it a try. Really a screwy situation, huh!?!
JonB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup sounds like you are trying to load a broken plane without repairing first in the maint hanger and checking the aircraft is fit for flight.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

It's worth remembering that if you leave the sim whilst in flight and gear up, you will start your next session in that state. This means you will have to put the thing up on jacks, use the hand pump to get the gear down then off of the jacks and you're then good to go. I've found this to my cost a few times! If you DO have to leave the sim quickly at least lower the gear first.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”