A2A Gremlins Strike My T-6 Texan in P3D V4

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

A2A Gremlins Strike My T-6 Texan in P3D V4

Post by cflord »

When I bring up my A2A T-6 Texan in P3D V4 it always comes up with the aircraft landing gear handle in the “UP” position. (This does not happen in FSX-SE). Is this the A2A intended position for the Gear Handle when loading the T-6 for a flight in P3D V4? If not “Houston we have a problem”! In any case the landing gear handle being in the “UP” position caused my gear to retract during taxi which caused a “Prop Strike”!

Whether or not the Gear Handle position was intentional by A2A or just another gremlin that needs to be fixed; it brings up a steep learning curve for us flight simmers. As flight simmers, sometimes we develop bad flying habits. We have the tendency to want to “kick the tires and light the fires” and go; which sets us up for what just happened to me. My situation was totally preventable if I had just performed the “Preflight Checklist”. Item 9. On the checklist states: Landing Gear Handle “Down”. Item 10. States: Temporarily place navigation light and battery switches “ON” to check Landing Gear Down Lock Indicator Lights. Item 9. (physically checking the Landing Gear Handle “Down”) is extremely important. The Red Landing Gear Indicator Pins and the Green Landing Gear Down Lock Indicator Lights only tell you the condition of the Landing Gear itself and not the physical position of the Landing Gear Handle.

With all that said, let’s look at what happened to me. Preflight Checklist not accomplished so I missed my only chance to catch the Landing Gear Handle “Not Down” (Step 9.). I bite off on totally believing what I assume the Red Landing Gear Indicator Pins and the Green Landing Gear Down Lock Indicator Lights are telling me. I should of known better!

Note: My Precision Flight Controls Landing Gear Handle was “Down” during this whole event.

1. T-6 Gear Handle “UP”, no electrical power on the airplane, Red Gear Indicator Pins “Down”, Green Gear Indicator Lights “OUT”. Arriving at the aircraft.

2. T-6 Gear Handle “UP”, Battery Switch “ON”, Red Gear Indicator Pins “Down”, Green Gear Indicator Lights ”ON”.

3. T-6 Gear Handle “UP”, Engine “Running”, Hydraulic Pressure available, Red Gear Indicator Pins “Down”, Green Gear Indicator Lights ”ON”. At this point I don’t realize I have a pending problem waiting to rear it’s ugly head!

4. T-6 Gear Handle “UP”, Engine “Running”, Hydraulic Pressure available, Taxi begins, Red Gear Indicator Pins “Start moving toward the “UP’ position, & Green Gear Indicator Lights “ Go OUT” as the landing gear starts to retract!

5. Gear retracting prior to “Prop Strike”.

6. “Prop Strike” due to “retracted landing gear”, T-6 Gear Handle “still UP”, Red Gear Indicator Pins “In Transit”, & Green Gear Indicator Lights “OUT”.

7. “Prop Strike” due to “Retracted Gear”! Should of accomplished the Preflight Checklist and not missed step 9.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord – C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :?: :oops:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: A2A Gremlins Strike My T-6 Texan in P3D V4

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

whats your default flight in the sim and how are you loading the Texan into flight?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Lewis - In P3D V4 I load the plane using the P3D Scenario page. In the top left there is a box called "Change Vehicle" with a spinning airplane. I simply select the version of the T-6 that I would like to fly before changing an airport. I was using KPDX Portland when I made these pics. It also happened to me at KSTS Sonoma. The P3D V4 default airport is KVPS Eglin AFB; which I was not using at the time. When I load the T-6 into the default airport KVPS Eglin AFB, the plane still comes up with the Landing Gear Handle in the "UP" position. I hope this information helps!

Note: When I finish flying the T-6, I always leave the airplane with the Landing Gear Handle in the "Down" position!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :roll:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you try resetting your default flight, it looks like your default flight is defaulting to the up position.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Lewis

I tried resetting the default airport (Eglin AFB) and airplane (F-22): but it didn't help. Only my T-6 comes up with the gear handle in the up position.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Try resetting the default flight again and set the gear to down position, and also try cold and dark the T-6.

thanks,
Lewis

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Tried resetting my default flight with the airplane gear handle "definitely Down". I even made a default flight using the A2A T-6 and making sure the gear handle was "Down" before I saved it. All my planes come up with the gear handle in the "Down" position, except my T-6. The T-6 gear handle still comes up in the "Up" position when loaded. Very strange indeed!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Very strange, and for sure when you exit the flight in the T-6 it is set correctly?

thanks,
Lewis

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I dont have P3Dv4 , but does it have a log book like FSX does , if so could that last T6 flight log be corrupted , if thats the case , may i suggest you select the T6 at the same airport , put aircraft on jacks , lower the gear , fix anything broke or worn in the hangar , take it off jacks , and if possible do a quick circuit flight , and shut everything down in the T6 , and exit the flight and then the sim , then see what happens next time sim boots up.
regards alan. 8)

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

Alan

Thanks for your input. I did try what you suggested; but it didn't help. The T-6 still comes up with the gear handle in the up position no matter what I've tried. I'd like to get it fixed; but at least I know what to expect when I bring the T-6 up. The first thing I do now is put the gear handle down, before I continue on with the flight. What can I say!

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”