Fuel selector

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Fuel selector

Post by Ron Attwood »

er...selector. Is it possible to assign controller buttons/switches to switching tanks? I've tried what I think is all the options in FSUIPC5 none of which make a blind bit of difference.
Normally, using the mouse wheel to change tanks wouldn't be an issue but if you're in formation, by the time you've faffed around trying to locate the switch (TrackIR. No, EZDOK is NOT an option!) you've lost position by quite a margin.
I did think that there would be that option in the T-6 input configurator, sadly not.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: Fuel selector

Post by gulredrel »

+1 for the request.
Fuel selector can be set in the other warbirds via input configurator too. Thats very useful especially in P-40 or P-51.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

blockwood
Airman

Post by blockwood »

I use a macro file with the following variable. You then can choose the variable in FSUIPC. In FSUIPC you use a setting of 1 or 2 for the tank you are selecting. I forget which one is right of left.

[MACROS]
1=L:FSelT6State=SET

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Looking at my FSX T-6 assignments I have this:

PD,14,CM23:50,2 ;// LEFT WING FUEL TANK SELECT -{Macro A2A_T6: L:FSelT6State set}-
PD,16,CM23:50,1 ;// RIGHT WING FUEL TANK SELECT -{Macro A2A_T6: L:FSelT6State set}-
PD,18,CM23:50,0 ;// FUEL TANK SELECT OFF -{Macro A2A_T6: L:FSelT6State set}-

My T-6 MCRO file is #23 (CM23)
The L:var #50 is:

50=L:FSelT6State=SET

So setting that L:var to 0, 1 or 2 \selects 'NONE', Right tank, Left tank

I happen to use 3 different switches, one for each state due to the way I set up
my Saitek dual TQ'a.

One could use a single switch and change the 'SET' specification to 'CYCLIC' with the
limits of 0 to 2.

I use a LOT of 'conditional assignments' and in many cases where there are 2 possible settings for
a L:Var I'll use the straight switch assignment with the 'pnky switch open for one and the same switch with the pinky switch closed on my throttle (old X-45 stick) for the second

Paul

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Very helpful. If you understand what all that is about. Macros, Lvars? Mean nothing to me, nor I suspect, to the majority of users. But I appreciate the thought. :D

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Me too. I don't use FSUIPC and I don't want to fiddle around with variables. The less external 3rd party things the better in case there are problems to rule out.
A setting in input configurator turn tank selector ccw and cw to assign two buttons would be enough.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Ron Attwood wrote:Very helpful. If you understand what all that is about. Macros, Lvars? Mean nothing to me, nor I suspect, to the majority of users. But I appreciate the thought. :D
Ah, in your original post you mention FSUIPC5 options so I assumed that you were
versed in the various elements that can be exercised using the power that FSUIPC
unleashes with regard to controller assignments, etc.

I've been using it for years and pretty much all my controllers are coupled to FSX
via that utility.

Paul

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

You're right Paul, I've been using FSUIPC for yonks. But I've never gone beyond the bits I can see. Lua and the like are beyond me. I leave that to witches and warlocks! :D
On a side note, I owned the full FSUIPC for over a year before I could even assign a button! :roll: Now I have profiles for all sorts.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Ron Attwood wrote:You're right Paul, I've been using FSUIPC for yonks. But I've never gone beyond the bits I can see. Lua and the like are beyond me. I leave that to witches and warlocks! :D
On a side note, I owned the full FSUIPC for over a year before I could even assign a button! :roll: Now I have profiles for all sorts.
Well at least you are not totally in the dark as far as FSUIPC is concerned :)

I'm currently in Prague and heading home for a brief stay before going on to
Nova Scotia the 1st of August. If I weren't in a time crunch I could put together
a step-by-step procedure to get you fuel selector implemented.

Perhaps once I am settled in for my 5-week stay in Cape Breton I could work on that.

Just for info, L:Vars, or Local variables, and the elements that are defined/used by the
code inside the aircraft modeling. When you create a text file in a particular form and
give it an 'MCRO' extension, the next time FSUIPC loads it reads that file and adds the
L:Vars defined in it to the FSUIPC lists of assignable controls. So essentially it lets you
get down to the nitty gritty operation. Once declared, these L:Vars are accessed just
like the default FSX/P3D controls.

The only 'magic' involved is knowing/determining what parameters are needed for a
given function. A2A has been releasing lists for the aircraft primarily targeted for
sim pit builders that list the L:Vars used in a given aircraft and the parameters.

FSUIPC also has a command that can be assigned - "List local panel variables" -
and when executed, all the L:Vars for the current aircraft are listed to the FSUIPC log file.

Paul

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

You can use the lvar and FSUIPC to make a switch mapping. I can't link to post right now as on phone on route to oshkosh but there should be a cockpit builders thread for the T-6 that has the lvar for you.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I mentioned this to a pal and he graciously made me an Lvar, Lua or macro or somesuch. Anyway, I plonked it into Modules, a few clicks in FSUIPC and Bingo! Off, One or Two tanks selected. Brilliant!
Last edited by Ron Attwood on 24 Jul 2017, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great to hear. Happy flying Ron.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I have not read in detail all the previous posts, but I have been able to assign [Shift+F] to move the fuel selector on my P-40 to the next clockwise position and [Ctrl+F] to move the fuel selector counter-clockwise. This is very handy when switching from Reserve to wing (or fuselage on long flights) tanks. Wish I could do that in my Six.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “T-6 "Texan" Tech Support”